I'm Still Not Ready For Another Dog

Loraine

:laugh: Since the loss of my dear Zedley I am not ready for another dog

BUT I have another dog here :thumbsup:

I am dog sitting for BJ the yellow lab whilst his people are on hols. It is lovely to have a dog aroud the house (but he is not the Zedboy). He is such a lovely boy and I am his second Mum, and I am enjoying my time with him (just 5 days).

In time another dog will live here, but for now this is just so lovely :thumbsup: and no guilt about replacing my Zedley, as he was Zedley's best buddy.

Loraine I was always going to go back fostering after my old girl passed on. She left us late last May but it wasn't till about a month ago that I pursued a cry for help from another DOLer for foster carers. I then started dreaming about my old girl regularly and it kind of upset me. I started getting a bit of anxiety over the whole idea.

But our foster boy arrived a couple of weeks ago and I was in love with him by about day 2! The funny thing is I know I am not the one for him so I take my job to make him ready for his heart person very seriously! I want him to have all the life and joy he deserves and that my other dogs have had here, including my old girl. I don't feel she is guiding me or anything but this foster boy has fitted in so seemlessly that it feels like it was all meant to be even though it took time and some questioning.

So I know how you feel - enjoying the moments just as they are is a nice feeling after a big loss. Some dogs leave a big hole in your life and the house after they leave us.

I'm in the same boat, I have a foster GSD here after losing both of my dogs within a short time. To make matters better/worse (can't decide) he is a lot like my old GSD. Taking him on all the walks I used to take my old dogs on has been difficult, but I think it was something I had to do and at least I can watch Toby enjoying himself, making new friends, experiencing things he seems to have never experienced before.

Loraine I was always going to go back fostering after my old girl passed on. She left us late last May but it wasn't till about a month ago that I pursued a cry for help from another DOLer for foster carers. I then started dreaming about my old girl regularly and it kind of upset me. I started getting a bit of anxiety over the whole idea.

But our foster boy arrived a couple of weeks ago and I was in love with him by about day 2! The funny thing is I know I am not the one for him so I take my job to make him ready for his heart person very seriously! I want him to have all the life and joy he deserves and that my other dogs have had here, including my old girl. I don't feel she is guiding me or anything but this foster boy has fitted in so seemlessly that it feels like it was all meant to be even though it took time and some questioning.

So I know how you feel - enjoying the moments just as they are is a nice feeling after a big loss. Some dogs leave a big hole in your life and the house after they leave us.

Beautiful post PS.

I was the opposite when I lost my old girl Gyps. I lost her in July and got Takoda in October. I was so lost without my old girl and needed rescuing myself. :( I still cry for her sometimes and for Whitey and Jay but at the same time, I can also think of them now and remember the good times and smile, whereas I couldn't do that before. I have tears streaming down my cheeks just typing this. :(

Takoda has helped and continues to help my heart mend. And although I never got Takoda to replace Gyps, ironically she is like her in so many ways.

Enjoy your visitor Loraine. :D

:laugh: Since the loss of my dear Zedley I am not ready for another dog

BUT I have another dog here :thumbsup:

I am dog sitting for BJ the yellow lab whilst his people are on hols. It is lovely to have a dog aroud the house (but he is not the Zedboy). He is such a lovely boy and I am his second Mum, and I am enjoying my time with him (just 5 days).

In time another dog will live here, but for now this is just so lovely :thumbsup: and no guilt about replacing my Zedley, as he was Zedley's best buddy.

It is hard to get a new dog or cat when they have passed; some people feel guilty that they are replacing them with another.

You will know when it is the right time to get another dog.

In the meantime enjoy your guest :)

Thanks all. Whilst I adore BJ, I do nknow that he is not mine and therefore not a replacement, but he does fill me with joy.

This is his 3rd holiday stay with me, so I have no problems with him getting 'homesick', as this is his second home.

The nicest thing is that his family can all go on hols and not have to worry about hi, they know if he needs a vet he will see a vet, he will be fed and spoiled and loved, whilst they can kick back with the kids and enjoy themselves. :thumbsup:

I'm in the same boat, I have a foster GSD here after losing both of my dogs within a short time. To make matters better/worse (can't decide) he is a lot like my old GSD. Taking him on all the walks I used to take my old dogs on has been difficult, but I think it was something I had to do and at least I can watch Toby enjoying himself, making new friends, experiencing things he seems to have never experienced before.

That must have been so hard ......

Thanks all. Whilst I adore BJ, I do nknow that he is not mine and therefore not a replacement, but he does fill me with joy.

This is his 3rd holiday stay with me, so I have no problems with him getting 'homesick', as this is his second home.

The nicest thing is that his family can all go on hols and not have to worry about hi, they know if he needs a vet he will see a vet, he will be fed and spoiled and loved, whilst they can kick back with the kids and enjoy themselves. :thumbsup:

It is so nice that his family can go away on holidays and not have to worry about him because he has been left in your care knowing he will be well looked after.

My friend used to look after dogs some years ago (not in a position to do this now) she had her regular customers and one off dog sitting - she loved it, she loves dogs fullstop :thumbsup:

I'm sorry for your loss of Zedley. And it was great that BJ came & lifted your spirits.

I can only speak for myself, but after my beloved Gracie went to heaven (too soon!), I couldn't even imagine another dog 'filling' her paws.

After months, I bit the bullet & sorted with the same breeder, to adopt another retired show tibbie. In my heart, I kept thinking but she won't be Gracie (brilliant bit of thinking!).

Then when the 'new' tibbie girl walked down the ramp of the pet transport van from the airport, she went straight to my heart & has never left it since. That was quite a few years ago, but I can see the same scene as if it were yesterday.

When the time is right for you, I wish you the joy of your next dog.

I am so sorry for the loss of your Zedley.

I believe a dog will come into your life when you are ready.

When I lost my heartdog last September (6 mths today) :cry: , he left an enormous hole in my life even though I have another dog. I could not decide whether to get a rescue dog or a new puppy. I believed the dog would come to me when the time was right. I had a lovely rescue boy here, but my bitch chose to turn her back and ignore him and it was just too early for both of us. I rehomed him to wonderful people and they are all very happy. Then I heard of a 6 yr old Schnauzer X ex puppy farm dog who was struggling in rehab. I went to meet him and adopted him. Meet Zac. :heart:

post-4430-0-58775200-1330653653_thumb.jpg

I am so sorry for the loss of your Zedley.

I believe a dog will come into your life when you are ready.

When I lost my heartdog last September (6 mths today) :cry: , he left an enormous hole in my life even though I have another dog. I could not decide whether to get a rescue dog or a new puppy. I believed the dog would come to me when the time was right. I had a lovely rescue boy here, but my bitch chose to turn her back and ignore him and it was just too early for both of us. I rehomed him to wonderful people and they are all very happy. Then I heard of a 6 yr old Schnauzer X ex puppy farm dog who was struggling in rehab. I went to meet him and adopted him. Meet Zac. :heart:

What a gorgeous boy Zac is. I am so glad you have found anoher on which to shower your love.

Another reason for me not to get another dog yet is that my son and his family are returning to the UK in the next month or three, maybe for good. If it turns out that way then I too will return as I want to see my grandchildren. I intend anyway to visit the UK next year (after they are settled) for 3 to 6 months. Spend some time with them and my Sister and her family and go to Europe for French food and see friends in Spain, Italy is also a place I would like to return to. Given all that I don't feel it fair to get a new dog and then leave him for months on end, before we really know each other.

I'm still not ready, but I know that 'stuff' happens.