Dog Coughing? Huffing & Puffing?

Hi All,

So, we have now had Eric our new adopted dog for 3 weeks. He is a 1 year old and thought to be a rotti cross. In that time the gorgeous gangly thing has cost myself and my partner a fortune so far with numerous trips to the vet (long story).

Anyways, was just hoping for some advice / thoughts before I take the leap and have to make YET another trip to the vets which to be honest we really really can’t afford atm.

Two nights ago we woke up to hear a coughing sound, it was Eric. It sounded like he had something caught in his throat and did the usual doggie thing of trying to bring it back up. Nothing did. We settled him back on the sofa and went back to sleep. The next morning he did the same again 2 or 3 times. It’s not like an actual cough, more like something is tickling or caught and it’s irritating him and he just huffs and puffs for maybe 5 seconds. We called the vets and they said maybe a bit of bone or something was stuck or as we’d only just got him from a shelter she suggested kennel cough and said the vaccinations they have aren’t always 100% effective. As he wasn’t distressed, wasn’t doing it very often, still loving his food and wagging his tail we decided to watch him for the next 24 hours and keep a close eye on him. He has since been like it again this morning, did it twice and then a couple of times when out on a walk. It surely can’t be food because he did it this morning before eating and therefore had not eaten in 12 hours?

I have no experience with kennel cough. Is it possible when he was vaccinated just 2 months ago? If not, any other thoughts or ideas? Could it be an allergy? Has anyone else encountered something like this before?

Thanks!

I would consider canine cough as possibility, the vaccine doesn't cover all strains and when they are under periods of stress they are more susceptible to catching it. It can be bacterial (in which case antibiotics will help) or viral (not much you can do). Linctol is a cough supressent they use for dogs, but if he has a productive cough I'm told expectorants are better but they don't make them for dogs apparently. I ended up using Linctol for my pup because his coughing was ALL night. I'm not sure but a human one may be okay but I'd check with your vet.

If he is dull, depressed or coughing gets worse he will need vet visit as pneumonia is always a risk.

It does sound canine cough'ish - I certainly wouldn't discount it, even with the vaccinations, still quite possible for him to have it.

We've use a human cough syrup for canine cough before - it just calms down the coughing and gives them some relief from that. Name is on the tip of my tongue - starts with B.... argh! Benadryl, I think? The original one - not flavoured or fancy in any way.

As long as he's happy in himself, then I wouldn't rush to the vet - but as karly said, if he is flat in any way, or gets worse, then vet would have to be the next step.

If you opt to treat him with the benadryl and not visit a vet then pls keep him isolated from other dogs - if it is canine Cough you will just spread it by taking him out....

Very good point. I would even go as far as if you do take him to the vet, let them know when you book the appointment that you suspect he could have canine cough - they may get you to bring him in via a back door, rather than have him sitting in the waiting room with other dogs.

Sounds much like kennel cough...

things which irritate his trachea will be collars (esp if he pulls) clod dry air, exertion...

you can perhaps give him some benadryl cough syrup ..2/3 times a day ..probably a teaspoonful for a rottie size dog? ..ask the vet to be sure.

Thanks everyone for your replies. More or less confimed what I suspected or was worried about.

Have spoken to the vets and booked him (and my other dog who I am now worries might have it as well) in for later today. My partner is coming with me so one can stay outside with the dogs and one can go inside and give reception a heads up.

Poor Eric has had a rough couple of weeks and now this :(

Does anyone know how they test for kennel cough and what treatment is given?

Thanks again for the advice :)

I think it depends on the vet - from my personal experience, the vet I have waited for Monte to start coughing again and also checked his usual vitals etc. We got given anti-biotics for him as well. He was then in lock down from other dogs for 14 days to make sure he didn't pass it on.

Hope Eric gets better soon!

If he is otherwise well, he doesn't need antibiotics or anything. I just use Benadryl to treat the cough, keep them warm and away from other dogs. I personally wouldn't worry about seeing a vet unless he gets worse.

Ages ago I suspected my dog had kennel cough so I video taped her having a coughing fit (with sound). When I went to the vet I left her in the car and went in and showed the vet the video. Right away she confirmed kennel cough and then came out to the car and examined my girl. If in doubt, just saves taking the dog into a vet clinic with a transferrable illness.

Guest donatella

I have a little foster Chi who came to me with kennel cough (poor mite so teeny didn't stand a chance in the pound), mucus nose, cough and sniffles. Fast forward a week and he's now at the end of his KC and we're rid of the snotty nose, sniffles but every now and again (and I mean maybe once every second day) he does the exact same symptoms as you describe. Sounds to me like your guy has either just the throat tickle or very mild case of KC. The little Chi in my care didnt need ab's and fought it off with some tlc, fingers crossed that's all your guy needs too :)

If he is otherwise well, he doesn't need antibiotics or anything. I just use Benadryl to treat the cough, keep them warm and away from other dogs. I personally wouldn't worry about seeing a vet unless he gets worse.

This ^^^

I have had a fair few come into care with it. It usually gets better on it's own. I have had only 1 that needed antibiotics.

As Kirty mentioned keep him warm, dry and well away from other dogs, as it's very contagious.

Kennel cough is most often no worse than the common cold that can affect humans. I'd follow Kirty's advice. It only becomes an issue if a bacterial infection is present and the body's natural defence can't deal with it.