Dulcie The Pregnant Shar Pei X Staffy

For anyone who is interested...an update, Dulcie the pregnant Shar Pei x Staffy, rescued from Queanbeyan pound by Adelaide All Breed Dog Rescue in January :D

Dulcies pound photos :)

QBN283sittingfront-4.jpgQBN283lookingup.jpg

Dulcies first day in Adelaide, the first week of January...happy to be out of the pound at approx 8 weeks pregnant :)

DSC08611.jpgDSC08621.jpgDSC08600.jpg

DSC08601.jpg

Dulcie gave birth to 5 pups, all boys, on the 15th of January... 2 passed away not long after birth, both had bad overbites, 1 was deformed :( & another passed away at a week old.

We ended up with 2 gorgeous chunky boys :thumbsup: Mum is only small weighing 15kg so dad must have been something big, as the boys are huge pups :D

They are ADORABLE and so handsome!! They so don't look very shar-pei, even the ears look long-ish for a Pei X. Be interesting to see what they look like when they grow up.

Thanks so much for giving them all a second chance.

As per ABC - love to hear how Dulcie is.

Raelene

I will take some new photos of Dulcie soon :) Shes now blown most of her coat but she still looks awful :(

We have been to the vet quite a few times for check ups and skin scrapings, no sign of mange at all and my vet thinks shes just very run down from having her pups. Shes slowly getting there but will be in care with me for a while.

Shes such a lovely girl, very Staffy like,I really cant see any shar pei in her? she loves people alot and is fine with my dogs and cats. Im also guessing that Dulcie is very young as she acts very much like a pup herself.

Huge :thanks: to Leema, who cared for Dulcie and her pups, & Raelene for helping us to rescue her! She was definately worth it, Im really enjoying having her with me :)

Klunk's new family came and met him today, and Potter's new mum came and met him a week ago. Both boys have beautiful homes that both really suit their personalities. They're going to be very much loved. :laugh:

The boys got weighed at the vet for the 6 week shots. Potter was 3.8kgs and Klunk was 3.3kgs. My 18 weeks old border terrier puppy is only 4.1kgs!

Anyone want to guess how big they'll be as grown ups?

Oh gawd she is a cutie!! Congrats on the healthy boys.

My last litter were 5.5 - 7kg at 6 weeks, and mature at about 35-45kg if that is any help? So maybe these boys might end up in the 25-30kg sort of range?

Hopefully once the pups are weaned and her body starts back into normality the coat will come back. She looks healthy and happy enough! Hormones plus the normal stress of pregnancy, birth and puppy raising are hard enough on coat, and this girl went through extra stress being at the pound etc!!

Dulcie is gorgeous and so are her bubs. Sorry to hear about the little 3 who didn't make it though. :(

Just a thought, but have you tried Dulcie with advocate?

Two little kelpie girls I had in care last year (or the year before?) came into care with identical bald patches to what Dulcie has.

They weren't red or scaly, and they never scratched at them. When I took them to the vet, they too had skin scrapings done but the vet couldn't see anything either.

He suspected sarcoptic mange and told me to advocate them. So I did. Within days you could see the new hairs coming through and within weeks you could not even tell where the bald patches had been. :)

Miss Squish, thank you so much for giving her the chance and for this incredible update and photos! I took the pound photos and found her to be just lovely. I must admit I never thought she'd make it out so thank you again. :thanks:

eta I can't stop looking at the photos of her and those gorgeous pups!

Edited by bazilybazbaz

The two boys will be 8 weeks old tomorrow! They will be desexed on Wednesday and will be going to their new homes soon after. The boys are now sleeping crated by themselves at night, and don't throw a tantrum when left alone. I'm excited about their fabulous, well-deserving new families. :)

Both boys are likely to be keeping their names, too - Klunk and Potter.