Someone Sold Me A Pitbull Not A Cocker Spaniel

Atanquin

Mind you, with some of the media reports and the mismatched photographs, I don't wonder that there are people out there who don't know what PB's look like. Yes - it was funny and my first response was :coffeesplurk: , but as soon as you mentioned the bloke was elderly my heart melted and I 'felt' for the guy - just as you did.

I feel sorry for people who don't understand. Is it their fault they've come to learn what they have? I don't expect everyone to be doggy fanatics as we are.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right erny -my dad is a big believer of the media and I remember after he met our friends pitty (and absolutely adored him!) he asked me what breed he was I told him he was a Pitt bull - dad freaked and said 'I don't want you seeing that dog-they are the ones that kill people ALL the time-stay away from him!'. He calmed down quickly but it was sad that his knee jerk reaction was panic. Luckily he was a gorgeous dog and a wonderful ambassador.

Poor guy....but still kind of alarming! When i had a pitty people assumed it was a lab cross :laugh:

We get it a lot with kodi because she is a mismarked toller with a lot if white around her head/chest/legs. The usual conversation is:

Them: oh what a cute dog! She's a border collie cross right?

Hubby (mutters to me): FFS just say yes and walk away

Me: no she is actually a (sigh) nova scotia duck tolling retriever

Them: a what?

Hubby (mutters): it doesn't matter!

Me: a toller. You might not have heard of them, they are still quite rare in aust

Them: no. It's clearly a border collie cross

Hubby: yeah, sure! Anyways, gotta go!

Me: no, she's a (sigh-honestly WHY do they have such a long name!) nova scotia duck tolling retriever. Purebred

Them: laughing, lady, I know dogs and someone is pulling your leg. There is no such thing as a troll retriever

Me: no, she's a....

Hubby (interrupts): oh hell we're late. Sorry but we've got to go (grabs me by the collar and hauls me away from the person who is now laughing saying 'i can't believe someone convinced that idiot she was buying a purebred trollers. Come on labradoodle let's go home')

:rolleyes: :banghead:

LOL tell them to google

God knows what'll come up if they go home and google 'troll retriever' :rofl:

Poor guy....but still kind of alarming! When i had a pitty people assumed it was a lab cross :laugh:

We get it a lot with kodi because she is a mismarked toller with a lot if white around her head/chest/legs. The usual conversation is:

Them: oh what a cute dog! She's a border collie cross right?

Hubby (mutters to me): FFS just say yes and walk away

Me: no she is actually a (sigh) nova scotia duck tolling retriever

Them: a what?

Hubby (mutters): it doesn't matter!

Me: a toller. You might not have heard of them, they are still quite rare in aust

Them: no. It's clearly a border collie cross

Hubby: yeah, sure! Anyways, gotta go!

Me: no, she's a (sigh-honestly WHY do they have such a long name!) nova scotia duck tolling retriever. Purebred

Them: laughing, lady, I know dogs and someone is pulling your leg. There is no such thing as a troll retriever

Me: no, she's a....

Hubby (interrupts): oh hell we're late. Sorry but we've got to go (grabs me by the collar and hauls me away from the person who is now laughing saying 'i can't believe someone convinced that idiot she was buying a purebred trollers. Come on labradoodle let's go home')

:rolleyes: :banghead:

LOL tell them to google

God knows what'll come up if they go home and google 'troll retriever' :rofl:

Hummm I wonder.... Just googled you would never guess?

There is a dog called the nova scotia duck tolling retriever lol

I don't have a problem when people who don't know the breed of my dog take a stab in the dark, or ask, but I really hate when they act like I'm lying to them when I tell them her actual breed like they know it all.

People who have been training with me at dog club since Ava was a puppy still try to tell me she's a border collie. Comments like "she's the strangest looking Australian Shepherd I've ever seen" are just rude IMO :(

Edited by wuffles

I don't have a problem when people who don't know the breed of my dog take a stab in the dark, or ask, but I really hate when they act like I'm lying to them when I tell them her actual breed like they know it all.

People who have been training with me at dog club since Ava was a puppy still try to tell me she's a border collie. Comments like "she's the strangest looking Australian Shepherd I've ever seen" are just rude IMO :(

Lmao.... it is rude isnt it.... its like.. I do own the breed, I think i would know a bit about it :thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Reminds me of the time I was at maccas with Joey (whippet) and a friend. My friend went inside to buy some coffee and i stayed outside with joey. Along come two kids, looked like they were about 16? Is that a pitty? Me: no hes a whippet. "He looks like a pitty, i have a pitty, i bet my dog would win in a fight against your dog" and so the conversation went. ended with me calling them idiots and them walking off :(

Yer he has a son that lives around the corner from him that helps look after him :) OH said the son was good guy and didn't want him to go to a home. Which I thought was nice still feel bad about laughing but it was funny at the time and I had no idea

That's good he has a caring son who's watching over him. He is very vulnerable.

You didn't laugh at his cognitive decline condition. You laughed at your own dog, a Cocker, with a Pitbull label on it.

Where does one get the idea that people wouldn't know a Pitbull if they saw it (providing that they had 20/20 vision)- is it from the media incorrectly identifying other dog/X breeds as one of them- and how would we know, unless there's photographic evidence of the wrong breed named?

It's something I've always wondered- :confused:

I think that they're very distinctive...

Zorro is a doll :) he looks so confused in the pic

I have had our Papillons mistaken for a Pomie, over grown Chi & the list goes on :laugh:

Our Whippet has been called a baby Great Dane : go figure :eek:

we have had the RSPCA here years ago about our Rottie Bitch being malnourished, the bitch being 11yrs at the time was actually a little over weight. The officer went away quite contented & mutted, "cant some ppl tell the diff between overwieght & malnourished dogs" :)

I agree with Mita and LizT, I think it's sad that he doesn't know the breed. How do know that someone hasn't told him previously that Cockers are a Pit Bull? That would explain why he thought your dog was one.

Sorry for sounding like a preacher, but I don't think it's nice to laugh at someone with a disability.

ETA: your dog is gorgeous.

Edited by poochmad

Where does one get the idea that people wouldn't know a Pitbull if they saw it (providing that they had 20/20 vision)- is it from the media incorrectly identifying other dog/X breeds as one of them- and how would we know, unless there's photographic evidence of the wrong breed named?

It's something I've always wondered- :confused:

I think that they're very distinctive...

I think it's more that a pitbull and unpapered Amstaff are fairly indistinguishable. Add in there that many bull breed or Amstaff crosses will look VERY similar to a Pit Bull and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Pure Pit Bulls would likely be identified as such by anyone in the know - the problem is that all unpapered Amstaffs and bull breed mixes get lumped in and targeted too.

I don't think I will see him again soon I walked zorro at lunch time while the rain was staying away I normally walk him later.

And if I did see him I don't think I would start asking him to much as he obviously has enough trouble with things with out me confusing him more. I would just say hallo to him and his old kelpie :)

I don't think I will see him again soon I walked zorro at lunch time while the rain was staying away I normally walk him later.

And if I did see him I don't think I would start asking him to much as he obviously has enough trouble with things with out me confusing him more. I would just say hallo to him and his old kelpie :)

And I expect he'll enjoy that :). :thumbsup:

Don't feel bad about laughing, Atanquin. It was funny. I think it is great that with the laughter, you've also been conscientious enough to understand the bloke. :)

And I expect he'll enjoy that :). :thumbsup:

Don't feel bad about laughing, Atanquin. It was funny. I think it is great that with the laughter, you've also been conscientious enough to understand the bloke. :)

That's right. :)

I laughed hard at your first post but after the details emerged, it is a bit sad. Hard not to find it amusing though, you couldn't find a dog further from a pitbull in looks than a cocker!

I was in the park with Honey(GR) the other week & a funny old lady said "she's a border collie, right?". I was gobsmacked. There really are some clueless people out there.