People Breeding Dogs With Papered Pets With 'prefix'

Missymoo

Ok so I was looking for something entirely different and noticed this person has set up a website with a 'prefix' etc using (I'm guessing) dogs sold as pets..but they are trying to sell pups using kennel names of dogs...in this instance it's a chihuahua person. They are not register with any affiliation, nor are their animals registered. I'm curious to know if the breeders they got their dogs are aware...it's not hard to track them down..

If anyone wants to know the dogs prefixes pm me.

Makes me wonder how many other "breeders" are out there breeding pets and pretending to be registered with a made up prefix using dogs registered on ltd...

Sigh..

Edited for stupid iPad..

Edited by Missymoo

I dont understand why people go to those lengths when they could just get their own prefix and, I dont know, do it legitimately

Well I do know of two people who had been waiting a very long time to get a registered female Chi here in Victoria.

One was an experienced Cav lady and settled on a lovely male to show after having waited for two of years for a girl.

The other is breeding an unregistered pet she ended up with, this woman used to breed registered dogs of another breed, but said she couldn't get a registered Chi female.

There is nothing stopping anyone from registering a Trading Name - this is a business name with the Consumer Affairs.

So you can register the name XYZ Kennels or whatever and then legally use this name for the purposes of conducting a business - you own the name and how you wish to incorporate this name in your business is perfectly legit. You can also use a trading name even without registering: i.e. XYZ Kelpies.....

Something to also consider is that you can register a breed prefix with the ANKC might not prevent someone registering your prefix as a business name. I have my prefix registered thru the breed association but also with Consumer Affairs as a business name - this will offer me some protection, but then even if i found someone using my name it would then be up to me to take legal action. There is a registration cost which is renewable I think every three years.

The other is breeding an unregistered pet she ended up with, this woman used to breed registered dogs of another breed, but said she couldn't get a registered Chi female.

well you can see why she had problems then. Breeders must have suspected her of not having the breeds best interests at heart and she has proven them right.

I dont understand why people go to those lengths when they could just get their own prefix and, I dont know, do it legitimately

because they can't get a dog on main register??

just take a gander at the pups for sale adds on dogzonline just about all state pets only or limit register. your a sitting duck for puppy farmer branding if you say you will sell with main register.

and considering what happens if a newbie or even the example of an old hand in another breed decided to try a different one, after advice from fellow exhibitors and judges on which pup to choose as show quality, yes it was taken to a show for all to examine all the puppys she was looking at, they choose the pup, the mug breeder assured she knows the perfect pup can change as it matures so ends up issued with a main register pup that was winning challenges before its adult teeth came in.. puppy teeth perfect...adults the bottoms for some weird reason came in slanting forward. it was still winning some challenges n nil awarded in others because of the new teeth.

the judges and those exhibiting told her the main registratin is a guarantee the dog is sufficient quality to become a champion and demand your money back.

i know who the exhibitors and the judge who told her that. even better one of the judges who helped select the pup was the one who told her to get her money back. as well advised the breeder that to preserve even a shred of reputation to return the money and take the now dog back.

so what idiot is going to sell anything on main register anymore?

as i know my self, if you cannot guarantee how your own child will turn out.. how can you guarantee a puppy will?

stupidity or arrogance? which is the problem?

Edited by asal

But if nobody sells on main register anymore, how will other people ever acquire a dog to breed from unless they go the no-papers variety, which is surely bad for everyone?

ETA - I bought my dog with main registration and she is still entire (about 18 mo), however, I have not shown her.

I bought a main reg. bitch because I wanted the option to breed if I ended up with enough time, money and a person to show me the ropes if I wanted to show her (and if she was good enough obviously). I paid full price for a main reg. dog btw.

My breeder knew I did not intend to show right away, if at all, and was not going to de-sex for the moment. Does this make them a bad breeder? :confused:

Edited by BlackJaq

But if nobody sells on main register anymore, how will other people ever acquire a dog to breed from unless they go the no-papers variety, which is surely bad for everyone?

people do sell on main register, with some breeds it can take longer to build up trust, what with all the "oodles" being bred all over the place. People have to appreciate that most breeders are trying to do the right thing by the breed and by their dogs. If I had a breed that was being exploited just to make money I be very wary, very wary indeed.

well you can see why she had problems then. Breeders must have suspected her of not having the breeds best interests at heart and she has proven them right.

Yes, it does highlight the different direction two people faced with the same dilemma can go.

people do sell on main register, with some breeds it can take longer to build up trust, what with all the "oodles" being bred all over the place. People have to appreciate that most breeders are trying to do the right thing by the breed and by their dogs. If I had a breed that was being exploited just to make money I be very wary, very wary indeed.

except nobody wanting to breed oodles would care a shit about papers, you cant register x breds so refusing to let people have main registration is no excuse that it would prevent x breeding.

what it does do is prevent your kennel being continued into the future which as so many forget was one of the reasons to become a breeder. to pass you breed on to future generations.

the new rule that ethical means to breed only for yourself negates the passing on the batton.

the new rule that ethical means only those who show are ethical means those who only ever wanted a lovely pet good enough to continue the breed is automatically cataloged unethical and not entitled to ask for main registration.

and as for the show lot and the example of the pup whose teeth went out? just what on earth do they really think they achieved apart from making sure that is another breeder who decides no how no way will they ever sell another pup on main register and thus become another of the growing list of dead end kennels. which is exactly what they intend.

we dont need peta to destroy the pedigree dog.

there are enough in the membership doing an excellent job already.

that dog in question was a beautiful example of his breed in every other point. even the teeth were at worst a fraction past level bite despite being bent forward instead of comming up straight as they had with the puppy teeth. my suspicion was the puppy teeth hadnt fallen out and pushed the new teeth forward and past them, the roots were correctly placed as was the lover jaw.

ive seen some dreadfull examples of the breed with AustCH in front of their name because their owners went to enough shows to emass enough points anyway.

there is no such thing as the perfect specimin once upon a time you selected for the best and hoped for the best and once upon a time it was known and acknowledged many dogs that were not good enough to grace a showring let alone win could still contributed to the future of the breed.

no with the warped and ignorant that grace our show world now made so patentialy obvious by the afore mentioned dog. if any breeder is foolish to let go a breeding quality dog even if it was an apparently spot on in every department as an 8 week old pup, if it matures with any fault whatsoever that could preclude it from receiving a challenge every time.

remember that pup once it had its adult teeth was still being awarded challenges. just some judges refuse and nil awarded do to the teeth.

if this really is the new order that the people who show will tell the owner to return the dog and demand their money back and will themselves warn the breeder.. comply or you will never be any but mud if you do not. with such pressure being brought to bear and such a impossible guarantee being said to have made by issuing main register with a pup who needs peta to shut down the breeding of pedigree dogs?

toy breeds were created to be pets. yet now its unethical to breed and sell them for pets?? and if like we once did main registered any pup we thought was a good advertisement for our kennel whether we thought it was show or breeding quality. we had that right. now the new order has changed the bar. no such thing as a breeding quality now?

most of the problem is so few new members even know there is such a thing as breeding quality does not mean show quality yet can still produce better than their precious one with Aust Ch in front of its name, such is the ignorance today.

is that irish or what?

Sorry to be a pain, but is there a link to those new guidelines so that I can have a read?

I have to admit, if my breed of choice was any type of poodle and likely to end up pumping out any "doodles" I would not be overly eager to main register, or even let any pups leave my place without being altered first.

On the other hand, I might be inclined to completely stop breeding, as no entire dog or bitch of that breed can be totally safe from such a fate unless sold to friends and family (and even this may not be a guarantee) and pups obviously need to be acertain age to be altered. You cannot keep them all indefinately

Why is there no legislation in place prohbting the sale of puppies and kittens in pet shops?

Sorry to be a pain, but is there a link to those new guidelines so that I can have a read?

I have to admit, if my breed of choice was any type of poodle and likely to end up pumping out any "doodles" I would not be overly eager to main register, or even let any pups leave my place without being altered first.

On the other hand, I might be inclined to completely stop breeding, as no entire dog or bitch of that breed can be totally safe from such a fate unless sold to friends and family (and even this may not be a guarantee) and pups obviously need to be acertain age to be altered. You cannot keep them all indefinately

Why is there no legislation in place prohbting the sale of puppies and kittens in pet shops?

you are also ignoring the fact that the majority of people who want to breed oodles do not waste their time paying mega for one from a registered breeder check the trading post. they go for peanuts from the unregistered yarders

I grew up near what used to be called council houses.. cheap houses cheap rents, many bred puppies to make money and there wasnt a registerd parent in the lot.

so becomeing a dead end kennel is doing that. dead ending the registered purebred dog.

heres one add.. the parents look lovely to me anyway. certainly pretty cute examples of the poodle and not a pedigree paper in sight.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Pets-Horses/Dogs/Dogs-for-Sale/AdNumber=TP005089143

doesnt lessen the quality of the parents does it? love dad and adore mum guarding the bed.. just like my pickle used too. never had to worry about my sibling messing up my room my mini guard dog made sure no one but me touched anthing in MY room. LOL

you ideas certainly does extinct anyone haveing a actually pedigree puppy though and less members and pedigree dogs though.

so what do you think your attitude will achieve besides how warm and fuzzy u feel?

becomeing a registered breeder once upon a time was to continue the breed not extinct it from registration like the stumpy tail cattle dog almost ended up.

Edited by asal

Well, seeing as I do not breed any kind of poodle my attitude toward that breed doesn't really change anything for that breed.

My breed of choice are Weimaraners and I have not yet come across a Weimadoodle.....