Shocked ---$$$$$$$$$

Guest muttrus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of Muttrus' point has fallen by the wayside here. Does a cost that high put people off adopting from a pound or shelter? I would say it probably does...

No I wouldn't think so because it is still cheaper than a pet store or breeder... but that is where BYB's come in. Can get a mutt pretty cheap from the local paper.

ETA to expand: People think they are getting a dog with "issues" when adopting from the pound, but from a pet store you are getting a "quality sound pup". :dummy:

$180 now makes more sense Muttrus, sorry I must have misread your post :)

Edited by shmoo

I think part of Muttrus' point has fallen by the wayside here. Does a cost that high put people off adopting from a pound or shelter? I would say it probably does...

I think you are wrong.

I don't consider it a high cost either. Is it expected that shelter and pound dogs should be free? If so, why? Why do you consider a dog from the pound as not of any value?

The average rescues sells a dog for between $250 - $350. If Muttrus purchased the dog, desexed, it would have been within this range and it would have also been registered. A lot of rescues do not rehome rescues registered and the cost is borne by the adopter..

Personally, if I was a member of the public looking to adopt a poundie that price wouldn't put me off at all. I think $440 for a pet (that includes vetting) and is going to be a part of your life for hopefully many years to come is well worth it.

Have you seen the prices pet shops and Back yarders are charging for oodles and other x breeds nowadays? :eek: We're not talking hundreds, some of them go into the thousands and that doesn't include desexing.

And after all, once they become a part of the family, they become priceless right? ;)

So no, I don't think it's unreasonable to pay that for a poundie. And as others have mentioned, Blacktown pound also has the free desexing program. If they don't have room this week, they will most likely hold him over until the next week for you, if you ask, that will bring the costs down even further. :)

If I was looking to rescue him and I didn't have a clause, I would definately be trying the pounds desexing program first. Ask for Illy if you can, as she is very understanding & helpful.

Goodluck with him.

I think you are wrong.

I don't consider it a high cost either. Is it expected that shelter and pound dogs should be free? If so, why? Why do you consider a dog from the pound as not of any value?

The average rescues sells a dog for between $250 - $350. If Muttrus purchased the dog, desexed, it would have been within this range and it would have also been registered. A lot of rescues do not rehome rescues registered and the cost is borne by the adopter..

That's what I was thinking when I read the OP.

When I first started rescuing I would get phone calls from people assuming I was a pound and that the dogs were 'free'. They were going to be killed after all.. (well according to the callers they were).

It would make me sad because IMO a pound dog is of no lesser value than any other dog. It's not their fault they ended up with crap owners and at the pound, yet some people assume that they are worth nothing, not even a measly cent. :(

I think you are wrong.

I'm a rescuer and I think most rescues would have to be charging $350 - $450 to cover costs, vet charges have gone up.

But this dog is offered at over $400 undesexed. So your average Joe adopter is looking at another couple of hundred dollars before they are getting the same as they would get from a rescue group, and a bit more of an unknown as far as temp and behaviour goes.

I'm not talking about the value inherent in rescue dogs with vetwork done, who have been in foster etc, or the merits or otherwise of pound dogs, but about pounds pricing their dogs out of the rescue/adoption market.

Why should an adopter go and buy a dog from the pound if this is the case? Are pounds selling themselves short?

But this dog is offered at over $400 undesexed.

Huh? Where?!

The pound quoted $298 (or something within that range) for a vaccinated, microchipped and registered dog.

The OP then said it would cost them x amount to desex and vaccinate.

I think you need to read the posts again, carefully!

So your average Joe adopter is looking at another couple of hundred dollars before they are getting the same as they would get from a rescue group, and a bit more of an unknown as far as temp and behaviour goes.

I'm not talking about the value inherent in rescue dogs with vetwork done, who have been in foster etc, or the merits or otherwise of pound dogs, but about pounds pricing their dogs out of the rescue/adoption market.

Why should an adopter go and buy a dog from the pound if this is the case? Are pounds selling themselves short?

All this quoted above iis now invalid as you will see.

Ok, here is the quote from the OP;

what if i bought him I rang up $268 I almost fell over

The price for an undesexed but microchipped and vaccinated dog was $268.

Edited by ~Anne~

I think you are wrong.

I'm a rescuer and I think most rescues would have to be charging $350 - $450 to cover costs, vet charges have gone up.

Have they what! I am paying almost double to what I was 3 years ago.

Add to that the fact that some dogs need to be breed assessed or assisted with professional training, some are lucky to break anywhere near even at that price range.

Add to that the fact that some dogs need to be breed assessed or assisted with professional training, some are lucky to break anywhere near even at that price range.

Most of the dogs I rescue need dentals or other tests. I also rescue Italian Greyhounds from interstate, have to board for quarantine period sometimes. The adoption fees rarely cover my costs either. :)

When I said cover costs, I should have added for the basic essentials - desexing, heartworm testing, microchipping and vaccination.

Edited by dogmad

When I said cover costs, I should have added for the basic essentials - desexing, heartworm testing, microchipping and vaccination.

Oh, I knew you meant the basics. It's the hidden costs the general public just don't take into account and I personally do not find $400-450 expensive for a dog, when all vetwork is done and then some.

No-one is stating that rescues make money and the thread isn't about rescues. It is about the cost of purchasing a dog from an impound facility which some posters think is unfair.

To be fair, as a former rescuer, I have my own views on costs but I'm not sure this is the place for my experiences and thoughts on the subject.

Dogmad, I know all this. You're preaching to the converted as they say.

The dog is a 6 month old entire cross breed i believe. In this instance we are talking about the cost to buy it from the pound. We're not talking about how hard rescue allegedly is or how much it costs to rescue a dog. We're talking about how much it costs to BUYa dog, in this instance, from a pound.