Shocked ---$$$$$$$$$

Guest muttrus

Guest muttrus

Im not a rescuer only a carer so I don"t have a clause 16d .From time to time I really just want to help and sometimes as a member of the general public I too have looked to adopt from the pound.

There is a dog young fellow large x breed around 6 months that Im really keen to help so I thought what if i bought him I rang up $268 I almost fell over he"s a dog they are only going to kill and being in the pound isn"t a good start .It would then cost me another $180 for vaccination and desexing bringing the total to $440 -------------------Is that really giving people the incentive to adopt from a pound?

We adopt our dogs anywhere from $200 -$400 vet work complete so while its a better price range the difference is our dogs are safe and for me Id like to see the needy in pounds get first look in.

So with costs considered Im wondering how much impact it has on dogs having a better chance of getting adopted straight from the pound?

Please forget the if you can"t afford it you shouldn"t adopt -------Having money doesn"t make anyone a better dog/cat owner

I couldn"t justify spending over $400 on a dog I know NOTHING ABOUT and I could afford to look after him/her

My first pound dog cost $21 my second $202 (due to chipping rego laws) all the dogs itself at that pound are $40 *****pound now closed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some pounds dont charge that much..

Every pound must ensure dog is microchipped before release.. Some also require council rego.

Some give discount desexing certificates that if taken to the right vet cut that cost to under $200..

The incentive is if you buy at petshop $600++, then desex etc will cost nearly $1000.

Some pounds release for around $100.. Best thing to do is contact the pound..

Explain that you wish to save this dog.

Ask if they have a desex program.

Ask what cost of dog covers.. ( some are already parvo vacc. )

Some will cover vet work.

Most rangers do not want to see the animal destroyed, especially a young dog and will try to help you..

I think you might have the cost confused.

It is only $90 to purchase from the AHF. Then you have fees for desexing, registration etc.

For you to be quoted $268, that was possibly because you opted to take him undesexed which means you must by law pay $150 registration. If you ask for him to be desexed it will cost you far less overall.

Guest muttrus

I rang up explained I didn"t have a clause 16d but explained how I wanted to save him rehome him that im a carer for a rescue etc he did the sums and said they don"t just let any dog go without chipping and rego -----I understand its the law I know that .

Because he isn"t chipped so he added that cost then because he"s not desexed they added the rego for undesexed dog he added that I don"t know what the rest is for.

But he explained thats what the cost was he was very nice and I get the feeling he didn"t like the cost but said it was the way the pound does it -------Blacktown pound.

Maybe if I was there in person someone could have helped???

Anyway it threw me back as I haven"t adopted a dog myself in 3 years from any pound

I think if desexed etc that is reasonable but not if it is a 'raw' dog that will require the rescuer to meet these costs.

In this case, it is not an official rescuer buying the dog. I know that Muttrus isn't intending on breeding him however she could be anybody seeking to buy him undesexed.

Either way, it is LAW that a registration fee of $150 is paid at the time of release. Rescues have clause 16d exemptions for this purpose and that is so they don't have to pay the $150 registration fee on entire animals.

$180 for vaccination? I've not heard of that. I know Renbury and Hawkesbury vacc anyway, I don't believe the price is passed on when the dog is sold.

The rego and microchip are a non neg and nothing to do with the pound itself but NSW law.

If you had him desexed and went back with the certificate pounds usually give a refund of the difference for sale price and rego.

Better still, ask the pound to desex him first. Then you'll have a dog that is chipped, desexed, registered and vacc for around $300.

You'll then have a $100 profit to put towards his feeding and care if you rehome him for $400.

Or, as I said in our earlier conversation, offer to foster him for a legitimate rescue and then it won't cost you personally anything except for time, love, care and food.

Edited by ~Anne~

I think if desexed etc that is reasonable but not if it is a 'raw' dog that will require the rescuer to meet these costs.

The lower the fee on animals that aren't desexed, the higher the incentive for people to purchase them to breed from. Sorry, but your logic is skewed.

Guest muttrus

$180 for vaccination? I've not heard of that. I know Renbury and Hawkesbury vacc anyway, I don't believe the price is passed on when the dog is sold.

The rego and microchip are a non neg and nothing to do with the pound itself but NSW law.

If you had him desexed and went back with the certificate pounds usually give a refund of the difference for sale price and rego.

sorry thats $180 for vaccination and desexing at my vet

Guest muttrus

sorry forgot to say ----anne that was the total cost the man gave me with chipping and rego because I wasn"t rescue just a member of the public .

he said that was his sale price all up

The lower the fee on animals that aren't desexed, the higher the incentive for people to purchase them to breed from. Sorry, but your logic is skewed.

I assumed the original poster was a 'classified (whatever it is called)' rescuer so the pound would have the assumption that she would be desexing the dog and reselling him but reading back I realise she was quoted as being sold a dog as a member of the public. Your explaination in the posts explains the reasons - thank you.

Better still, ask the pound to desex him first. Then you'll have a dog that is chipped, desexed, registered and vacc for around $300.

You'll then have a $100 profit to put towards his feeding and care if you rehome him for $400.

Or, as I said in our earlier conversation, offer to foster him for a legitimate rescue and then it won't cost you personally anything except for time, love, care and food.

Muttrus foster cares for a "legitimate" rescue, but due to where they are and the dogs they save there is no need for a 16d rescue clause, as none of the dogs come from the pound. They all fly in from Outback NT from the communites. They are all camp dogs.

Muttrus foster cares for a "legitimate" rescue, but due to where they are and the dogs they save there is no need for a 16d rescue clause, as none of the dogs come from the pound. They all fly in from Outback NT from the communites. They are all camp dogs.

I know that. :)

This doesn't prevent her from fostering a dog for another org. The ultimate goal is to save the dog after all. Using logic, you do this by the most sensible means (well I would anyway).

Did you ask if there was room on the desex program? :) That would change the fee significantly.

+1

I have saved two dogs from Blacktown, both were desexed there. Each dog cost me about $350 to desex, vacc, chip, and fly to SA. They didn't need to be registered as I provided evidence that I was in SA (driver's licence etc).