Retained Baby Canines

Hi all

My newest Dobermann pup is 1 week shy of five months old. Ive noticed that her bottom adult canines are coming in whilst her baby ones are still intact. I'm asking here first as my vet is an hours drive away and I thought I'd get a general idea of what I'm dealing with before I call him.

Should I be worried that this is happening? she is my newest show dog prospect so I do not want her adult teeth coming in the wrong way. Does anyone have any similar stories with this whereby the teeth just fell out naturally and the adult bite came in fine or do you recommend extraction straight away?

She has RMB and I try and wiggle the teeth (they dont seem loose) so yeah not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance for the replies. 0

Ask your breeder first before you see the vet.

I have known of pups with retained teeth that have come out days before they were due to have them removed,.

Big meaty bones, tug toys etc will help to loosen them, sometimes enough for them to come out other times surgery is still needed.

Thanks Sway, Ive only just noticed them today and I inspect her mouth almost daily so I'm sure they havent been in long. Her breeder is in NZ, Ive shot her off an email as its pretty hard playing phone tag so thought I would ask her as well :)

I probably wouldn't risk leaving it in a show dog. Normally the baby tooth is well gone before the adult tooth erupts so getting them removed is the safest option when it comes to having adult teeth come up in the correct position.

Most of my BCs had double canines for a few weeks and my new JS had them for a month so I find it rare for the baby canines to fall out before the adult one start to emerge and have never had a bad bite. My vet recommends retained teeth be removed at exactly 6 months if they aren't out by then. My JS lost his second last one at 6 months to the day and the last one 2 days later so just made it without having to have them pulled.I do make a point of wriggling the teeth every day and playing lots of tug to help them along.

Check with the breeder what the breed and lines are usually like before making any decision.

Edited by dancinbcs

As you say, reassessing at 5.5 months will be fine. My puppy was 7 months - and all the tug toys and pigs ears for the previous two months had not shifted his one remaining baby canine- when all adult teeth were through,so we had it removed by Dr Christine Hawke in Sydney. She was FABULOUS and I highly recommend her. His mouth is fine now.

Thanks poppop and others.. I live in SA and I completely trust my vet I would just rather no anesthetic if I can avoid it. One bottom canine came out tonight, the other isnt loose though, also the two top adult canines have started coming through and the top baby teeth arent loose either so I will be keeping a very good eye on her mouth.

big big meaty bones, like the beef leg bones and feed less for a little so the dog has to sit there and scrape away. It's my trick to getting baby teeth out, never had a dog need them extracted. Works well on the ferrets too :laugh:

what do you mean by "nope"?

only the one has come out, seeing the vet today as I am quite worried. HOPEFULLY she isnt the second "show" dobe pup I've purchased with a funky mouth! will keep you all updated and thanks :)

what do you mean by "nope"?

only the one has come out, seeing the vet today as I am quite worried. HOPEFULLY she isnt the second "show" dobe pup I've purchased with a funky mouth! will keep you all updated and thanks :)

It's not uncommon for baby canines to be present when the adult canines come in...that's what the nope means.

I've had pups retain them to just past 6 months and the come out however I only allow this if the baby canines aren't hindering the normal placement of the adult teeth.

Keep a careful eye on the adult teeth coming in and offer lots of meaty bones, if at any stage you're concerned that the placement of the adult teeth is being affected by the retained teeth then make an appointment with your vet to have them removed :)

You may be able to get your vet to do an Xray to see if there is any resorption of the tooth root- if there is significant resorption then you know that meaty bones will eventually get them out. If there is no resorption then you know your going to have to get them extracted. Not all vets will feel confident in getting the settings right to do this but if they do then you will have a better idea of what is actually going on under the gum.

I have seen a number of baby teeth that just don't fall out- they don't have any resorption of the tooth root so no amount of bones is going to make a difference.

Edited by Jumabaar

• 4 months later...

Any luck? I had my boys baby canines taken out late last year..first ones ever..and trust me I did everything I could to loosen the buggers!! Some teeth are just stubben!!

I have a baby here who is 5 months old this week and still has her upper baby canines. The adult ones are coming through. She is booked into the vet for Friday but would like to avoid it. Lots of games of tug, and bones aren't making any difference at the moment.

Fingers crossed here. I really don't want her to have a GA. Anything else worked for others?

Our last standard poodle baby had to have her bottom baby canines removed at about 12 - 14 weeks because they were digging into her top gums and making her mouth so sore she couldn't eat and then had to have one of her upper canines removed after 6 months of age as it just wasn't budging. She has a correct bite as an adult but did have an overbite as a baby - teeth grrrrr. Good luck