More Than Two Breeds

Whipitgood

I have heard a few breeders comment that having multiple breeds of dogs to exhibit and breed is not good and someone even likened it to puppy farming. The view was that if you have multiple breeds, then how can you possibly get to know the breed properly in terms of blood lines, types etc and show them effectively as well as breed responsibly.

Thoughts?

I have always had Whippets and I think I know the lines, dogs, other breeders and types well and I have researched them for years. But there are at least 3 other breeds I would like to own one day and I'm currently researching another breed.

Edited by Whipitgood

I have heard a few breeders comment that having multiple breeds of dogs to exhibit and breed is not good and someone even likened it to puppy farming. The view was that if you have multiple breeds, then how can you possibly get to know the breed properly in terms of blood lines, types etc and show them effectively as well as breed responsibly.

Thoughts?

I have always had Whippets and I think I know the lines, dogs, other breeders and types well and I have researched them for years. But there are at least 3 other breeds I would like to own one day and I'm currently researching another breed.

Personally I think it is a very individual thing. Some people struggle to do the right thing by one breed, others are able to successfully manage multiple breeds. Each to their own.

I don't think there's a limit on knowledge for many people so can't understand why they would struggle to know in depth about several breeds instead of one.

I too think t's individual. I don't see an issue with people having more than one breed. I think there's a definite difference in the type of people that buy one of a breed to show, f t doesn't win enough, get something else, and so on. Some people do collect dogs in this manner but I think you'd find they are rarely breeders in the usual sense, ie someone who is passionate about their breed and working as guardians of it, but folks who want more immediate results and wins.

People like this tend to move through different hobbies as well.

I agree it is an individual thing. I only concentrate on one dog breed (though have owned others and been involved in them - just not bred them) but I breed several breeds of poultry and also a breed of sheep. These can require the same dedication to understanding bloodlines, showing, breeding responsibly, knowledge of genetics and animal husbandry etc (to breed good examples of their breeds I mean). It does require organisation, good record keeping and plenty of hours of research but I can not see why someone devoted to several dog breeds could not apply themselves in the same fashion if they wanted to. It really comes down to the dedication of the individual in the end and one breed can be too much for some, while for others understanding and dedicating themselves to multiple breeds are not an issue.

(as a side note - we expect our judges to be across way more than a few breeds - at least well enough to judge them knowledgably. Then what is the big deal with breeders dedicating themselves to more than one breed?)

I also believe that it is an individual thing.

But I also believe that it would be difficult for me to have more than two breeds and justice to all. :)

Exactly, because YOU believe it would be difficult. That's completely different to somebody else saying, "you should only have one breed because that is all you can do justice to"......

I get very tired of people who insist that they know best what another individual can cope with.

But I also believe that it would be difficult for me to have more than two breeds and justice to all. :)

Exactly, because YOU believe it would be difficult. That's completely different to somebody else saying, "you should only have one breed because that is all you can do justice to"......

I get very tired of people who insist that they know best what another individual can cope with.

Yes, what's sauce for the Goose is not always sauce for the Gander.

We are all individuals and cope with different things in different ways.

I would not cope with a third breed. :)

I understand where 'oakway' is coming from and I have to agree it is not necessarily that a dedicated person could not do justice to the research of more than one or two breeds - many judges do this, but very few judges would be breeding more than 1 or 2 breeds at any one time. The main issue is the time involved to run and maintain more than two breeds - this would be beyond the ability of most individuals. Also it would mean running a much greater number of dogs therefore less time to spend with the individual dogs and in particular less time spent with the puppies.

Most breeding programs might be running perhaps 3-6 breeding dogs of different ages if you had three breeds then you are looking at perhaps 10 to 20 breeding dogs as well as the likelihood of back to back litters throughout the year.

Hence you either have loads of money to employ someone to help or you are a full time breeder - Isn't this perhaps the definition of a puppy farmer or the byb for profit.

If you had perhaps individual bitchs from 3 or 4 breeds and therefore only breeding each one once a year or every 2nd year then you are not really developing a breeding program but more just for fun - this is not a bad thing - but could they be considered a breeder who may enhance the breed in the long run? - as Alyosha previously stated "someone who is passionate about their breed and working as guardians"

Each to their own but personally I couldn't do them justice. I currently exhibit 2 breeds with the possibility of adding a 3rd some time in the future but I only breed 1 of those breeds. The other 2 I buy in when required which is much easier.

In my chosen breed for every dog I have in the ring I have another 2 or 3 at home by the time you consider broods, studs dogs, upcoming puppies and of course my gorgeous oldies. That said I would hesitate to call someone who can do it a puppy farmer. As long as they have the best interest of the breed at heart, heath test as appropriate and take responsibility for their puppies who am I to judge. Some breeders aren't able to do that with even one breed

Quite a few people show several different breeds but I cannot think of anyone that has been successful with seriously breeding more than 2-3 breeds at the same time. I few that have the money to do it, have two main breeds with an occasional litter from a third and that seems to work. Of course some people change the breeds they have throughout a lifetime and may end up being successful with 5 or 6 breeds but just not all at the same time.

We show three breeds. The Salukis are mine, the Afghans are OH's, and the IW was a surprise in many ways.

With Salukis, they are my heart breed, I study them, I love them, they are what I intend to base my breeding program around and eventually I would like to judge them. The Salukis belong to me and are in my name only.

The Afghans belong to OH and are from someone who breeds for what we would breed for if we were going to breed. She is a lot more experienced and a lot better at it. So we're happy to show the dogs she breeds and have no desire to dip our toes in the water breeding wise while she is still around.

The Wolfhound came out of left field, but IW's suit OH, and again, it's a situation where we're happy to show, but probably won't breed ourselves - will leave that to others.

Those who know us know that once a dog is with us, they stay with us. So while we have three breeds, we don't turf dogs if they don't win enough in the first 6 months. In our breeds that would be foolishness anyway. We have shelves full of books on our breeds, and we will talk IWs, Afghans and Salukis with anyone who stands still long enough :D So it's not a passing fad, any of them.

I think there is a lot to be said for becoming familiar with more than one breed, learning about other breeds helps you gain a better understanding of your chosen breed. However, I also agree that there are people out there that churn through whatever breed/kennel they think will get them the most fringies and sometimes breed in the same style - a lot of breeds but no depth. That's not a smart idea, apart from anything else, the dogs that don't quite make it in a breed have a lot to teach you about what you need to do to go to the next level in that breed.

I should probably come back into the thread and say that at many stages during the past 26 years I have had at least two breeds of dog in the show ring, occasionally more but that is generally because I have been roped into showing a dog for friends.

I have only ever bred two breeds under the Ellz prefix....American Cockers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers and only once have I had litters of both breeds at one time and the American Cocker litter was a major oops caused by a precocious 11 month old puppyboy!!

It's not difficult to show 4 breeds, the only issue is when the rings clash. It might be hard for some to manage a pack, when they have more than one breed or even a few of the same. Everyone's different.

Some do well with breeding one breed, others can manage and do well with more. Some people have no idea and can't get it right with one show dog, let alone breeding full stop

I used to show pugs and would like another pug again but I will never breed them. I had a pretty bad first attempt of a litter with a pug bitch I had here which just proved what everyone had been saying to me too much heart ache in breeding pugs so I decided to focus on the Pointers. I wish to some day show a coated breed, im still not sure what but it will be for show only I do not want to breed another breed! I do not judge how many breeds other wish to show or breed thats entirely up to them.

I think there is a lot to be said for becoming familiar with more than one breed, learning about other breeds helps you gain a better understanding of your chosen breed. However, I also agree that there are people out there that churn through whatever breed/kennel they think will get them the most fringies and sometimes breed in the same style - a lot of breeds but no depth. That's not a smart idea, apart from anything else, the dogs that don't quite make it in a breed have a lot to teach you about what you need to do to go to the next level in that breed.

I definitely agree with this particular statement SSM. I have two breeds however heartbreaking issues in the two English Setters caused me to go back to Weimaraners. I will have more ES one day, and I continue to research lines, follow particular dogs and keep an eye on dogs I like. I could talk to most of the lines from the UK English Setters. I threw myself in Weimaraners and have since bred my first litter. i know lines I like and follow most lines throughout europe, the US and Australia. I also show Old English Sheepdogs, I can groom them, discuss pedigrees and conformation with the best of them, but I won't own or breed them for myself. I learned a lot about conformation and breeding from all three breeds and I strive to learn about other breeds as i believe this makes me a better breeder for my own breeds. I think that it can work both ways - some people breed more than one breed for the wrong reasons, but I also believe that sometimes people that stick to one breed, and don't make the effort to open themselves up to learn about other breeds, are missing out on crucial information that could help their own breeding (not saying everyone should have/breed more than one breed, just that looking at other breeds helps you learn).

So many variables, and so much depends on the breeds and individual concerned.

I have absolutely no doubt that some folk could both breed and show several breeds ethically and successfully and there are examples around to support that.

Others struggle to accomplish that with one.

I certainly don't lump everyone who aspires to do it into the "future puppy farmer" category.

I do think it would be easier to do within a Group than across several Groups.

Yes i've often seen exhibitors running from one group ring to the other and back, practically dying of exhaustion in the process! I think i'd have to stick with one breed per show! :laugh:

So many variables, and so much depends on the breeds and individual concerned.

I have absolutely no doubt that some folk could both breed and show several breeds ethically and successfully and there are examples around to support that.

Others struggle to accomplish that with one.

I certainly don't lump everyone who aspires to do it into the "future puppy farmer" category.

I do think it would be easier to do within a Group than across several Groups.

Agreed fully....well said.....

It's the same as those that comment on litters born....more than one a year makes someone a puppy farmer....some think more than one every two years....I've seen (and done myself) three litters in a year, and had no issues...just how things went....two or three years before the next mating took place. Guess I"m a puppy farmer?