Holiday Away From My Besty For 2 Weeks

sallyandtex

Hey everyone.

We haven't had a holiday away from Sally since she came to us over 2 years ago. :cry:

She will be well looked after with a friend who is a professional dog-minder, who has 2 older dogs she gets on famously with.

Just wondering if there is any tips people do to make the "separation" better for her.

I have heard somewhere that putting up a photo of the family is comforting for the dog?? Do you think?

Just treat it all very matter-of-fact .NO special treatment in the days leading up .. no extra hugs , etc on the day .

leave her with your scent on bedding etc. Sit on her bedding for a couple of nights while watching TV :)

make sure the same food/treats are sent with her ..

and DON"T start getting anxious :p

Just treat it all very matter-of-fact .NO special treatment in the days leading up .. no extra hugs , etc on the day .

leave her with your scent on bedding etc. Sit on her bedding for a couple of nights while watching TV :)

make sure the same food/treats are sent with her ..

and DON"T start getting anxious :p

Thanks for that..my scent huh? Sounds like a great idea.

i know i worry too much about her, thanks for the reality check, esp not making a fuss as I am sure they can pick up on anxiety and us packing the car! :D

My two wouldn't look at a photo of me unless it had liver treats stuck around the frame.I understand you feel upset at leaving Sally but you are lucky to be leaving her with a friend in a home environment with other dogs that she knows.It will be ok I'm sure.

Nothing. They're dogs, they'll survive. My dogs never notice i've been gone until I get back.

I guess so, but i had one dog that use to get depressed and "pine" for us, according to the minder anyway.

I honestly don't think a photo would make a difference though, they don't know what they are. I sometimes think people like to tell us that the dogs missed us to make US feel better not because they actually did. If it bothers you that much maybe just leave her something with your smell that she can sleep on? There's not much else you can do?

I am sure Sally will have so much fun with 2 other dogs to play with and an exciting new adventure with your friend

:)

Sometimes an item of your clothing (unwashed so your scent is strong) can be nice to include with their bedding.

Mindy used to be drawn to a fleece of mine that I used to wear and would curl up on it if I was out:

post-31284-0-83628600-1331975286_thumb.jpg

I used it again for her when she was at the vets when she was really sick. Sadly, it got lost at the vet hospital.

Edited by aussielover

I am sure Sally will have so much fun with 2 other dogs to play with and an exciting new adventure with your friend

:)

Sometimes an item of your clothing (unwashed so your scent is strong) can be nice to include with their bedding.

Mindy used to be drawn to a fleece of mine that I used to wear and would curl up on it if I was out:

post-31284-0-83628600-1331975286_thumb.jpg

I used it again for her when she was at the vets when she was really sick. Sadly, it got lost at the vet hospital.

Thats really lovely...like a "blanky" kids use as a comforter. :heart: Great photo.

Also, I was just curious about the photo becasue I read it somewhere , but didn't think it would make any difference. the liver treats around had me laughing :rofl:

LOL the photo and liver treats had me laughing too!

My dog didn't even recognise me on skype, although when she heard my voice she apparently went searching under the table the laptop was on :laugh:

It would be a very clever dog to recognise its owner from a photo!

I'm pretty sure my dog would only want to eat the photo :D

LOL the photo and liver treats had me laughing too!

My dog didn't even recognise me on skype, although when she heard my voice she apparently went searching under the table the laptop was on :laugh:

It would be a very clever dog to recognise its owner from a photo!

I'm pretty sure my dog would only want to eat the photo :D

Funny you say that about skype I left my old boy twice in 16 years and both times he would not talk to me on the phone when it was held up to him :laugh: sallyandtex I understand your worry of leaving your dog,sorry I wasn't being hard usually they cope better than us.I think aussielover and Perse are on the right track,leaving something with Sally like an old jumper or shirt would be really comforting for her.

Nothing. They're dogs, they'll survive. My dogs never notice i've been gone until I get back.

Great attitude, maybe why your dogs don't miss you. My dog can pine, gets anxious so ideas as the OP is asking are valid.

Mine hates me even LEAVING for work, his little world crumbles, and he is a very stressy dog as a rule however being away for extended periods of time it's not an issue for some reason. Probaby because he's too busy with new smells and new exciting things to notice :) The 'hardened' attitude is for MY benefit so that I don't worry about him :rofl: My first post was possibly a bit harsh, but it wasn't intended to be. I just think sometimes we make it worse than it needs to be.

Great attitude, maybe why your dogs don't miss you. My dog can pine, gets anxious so ideas as the OP is asking are valid.

Mine hates me even LEAVING for work, his little world crumbles, and he is a very stressy dog as a rule however being away for extended periods of time it's not an issue for some reason. Probaby because he's too busy with new smells and new exciting things to notice :) The 'hardened' attitude is for MY benefit so that I don't worry about him :rofl: My first post was possibly a bit harsh, but it wasn't intended to be. I just think sometimes we make it worse than it needs to be.

Well I amm so relieved that you are not a hardened soul afterall, but do agree that the best is "not to give energy" to the doggy anxiety. I too have practiced the thing of ignoring the dog 15 minutes before leaving, especally when I got him, and the point that patting or seeking to "reassure" the dog apparently reinforces the anxious behaviour. A friend who is a vet said that it is actually really good that your dogs are used to not having you there as part of their routine, for the very reason that it becomes normal and so when you do go away or they have an overnight stay at the vet's it is less stressful. This helped me immensely.

Edited by FlyingFurball

We run boarding kennels & to be honest people do have preconceived ideas of how they dog will & should behave.Many can not deal with the fact the dog didn't miss them in they way they believe it should.

We get all sorts of things left & the dogs generally don't care,if they are at the right premise the dogs will adapt & enjoy themselves greatly.

We get many dogs that won't eat the treats left by the owners & it isn't because there pining there simply enjoying themselves & often prefer the other food choices .

This dog will be staying with other dogs i wouldn't worry about something with your smell on it unless its going to be separate from them.

Just take something clean & neutral & YES don't make a fuss beforehand,the dog will already now something is going on when suitcases come out ,it needs to have its normal routine/food & time & when you drop off don't over do it.

It only makes it harder for the dog to deal with which is what your main concern is so you need to give the dog every chance to settle for the minder & for the dogs sake

I know how hard it is to leave our best friends... I am a complete sook about it!! I left my two for 5 weeks last November when I went to Vietnam. My girl knew I was leaving her and cried and tried to grab my leg as I was going out the front door. I felt horrible and cried the whole hour trip home!! My brothers girlfriend kept me up to date with photos of them on facebook and within 10 minutes of me leaving she was cuddled up with my brother sound asleep on the couch.

My brother and his girlfriend are now their most favourite people.... sometimes even trumping me! When I went to pick them up my boy refused to get in the car and ran back inside :rofl: I'm pretty sure he'd still rather live with them :laugh:

So even with the most attached dogs I think we worry a bit too much (well I do anyway!!). They will soon attach to someone else especially if there is food involved.