What's The Chance Of Getting A Tick?

Guest donatella

This worries me as we are going camping at easter but the campsite say more bush ticks but not bad. I can't find any info on paralysis ticks where we are going.. So bush ticks I know I still have to check him and gosh I will every second lol but do they make them sick? or is it only the paralysis ones..

Bush ticks wont make them sick, but they sure will make them itchy.....& you, if they crawl up your legs or get in your hair or down your neck :eek: We get them here & sometimes the dogs will get dozens of the little blighters, if I have been a bit overdue with their Advantix. Put some Advantix or Frontline Plus on them a couple of days before you go camping. And if they are bad, spray your legs with insect repellant. Apart from that...Enjoy your camping trip with your dogs..... :thumbsup: I am pretty sure that where you get bush ticks you are also likely to get the bad boys as well, so daily searching/feeling is a must.

Thanks sheena, I was hoping you would say no paralysis ticks around during Easter lol.. I have tick protection but I will be vigil.. We can't wait to go camping it's out Rathdowney/ white swamps way, 2 hrs from brissy in that direction anyway lol..

Bush ticks wont make them sick, but they sure will make them itchy.....& you, if they crawl up your legs or get in your hair or down your neck :eek: We get them here & sometimes the dogs will get dozens of the little blighters, if I have been a bit overdue with their Advantix. Put some Advantix or Frontline Plus on them a couple of days before you go camping. And if they are bad, spray your legs with insect repellant. Apart from that...Enjoy your camping trip with your dogs..... :thumbsup: I am pretty sure that where you get bush ticks you are also likely to get the bad boys as well, so daily searching/feeling is a must.

Edited by mumof4girls

I have a very dumb question to ask about ticks ..... do they engorge and then fall off, or do they stay to digest and then have another (and another and another) feed?

Not dumb at all Erny. They do engorge but they don't fall off.Although I have had times when a dog will scratch them off very occasionally. Usually they just get full & bury deeper,

inbeded if you like into the skin the longer they are left on your dog.

Thank you, BC Crazy.

Does/can a tick ever bury itself into the skin completely, or is the tick's body always visible?

Ticks are external parasites – ectoparasites – that are capable of seriously affecting pets. Although there are numerous species of tick in Australia, only two types – the paralysis tick and to a lesser extent the brown dog tick – are of significance to the health of cats and dogs.

Ticks embed in the animal’s skin by their mouth parts and do not move after this until they drop off the host animal to moult or lay eggs.

The paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus) is unique to Australia and is ranked as the most venomous of the 40–50 species of tick that cause paralysis around the world. It occurs primarily on the east coast of Australia.

Even though it normally feeds on native animals like bandicoots and possums, which become immune to the tick toxin, the adult paralysis tick is capable of attaching to and causing symptoms of paralysis in most mammals, including dogs, cats, calves, foals and even humans. The young adult female tick attaches to an animal or a person as they brush through long grass or scrub. One female tick is sufficient to cause paralysis and death in a dog or cat.

Early paralysis is usually seen as hind limb wobbliness, lack of coordination and unsteady movement. These symptoms begin on average three to four days after tick attachment and may continue to emerge for 24 to 48 hours after a tick is removed. If a pet shows any signs of tick paralysis it is strongly recommended that it is taken for immediate veterinary attention.

The paralysis tick is just one of the hundreds of types of tick found all around the planet. It can be found in coastal NSW and Queensland and north-eastern Victoria. Below is some general information about ticks

Ticks are found all over the world and infect a wide variety of hosts.

The tick is an arachnid and is classified in the same group as mites and spiders.

Although three different tick families are identified, the Ixodidae family is the one of main interest in pets and livestock, with some species highly dangerous to animals.

In Australia, the relationship between domestic pets and wildlife can be close, with the two sharing common areas such as backyards and parks. Many ixodid ticks use a variety of hosts and problems occur when pets are infected with wildlife tick species.

The effects on hosts vary from nuisance value to serious disease and death. Ixodid ticks also pose a threat to human health.

Listed are the major tick species that affect dogs in Australia, in descending order of importance:

Paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus) is found in coastal areas of Queensland and NSW, and to a lesser degree in Victoria. The adult tick threat peaks in spring and summer; however, pets may be affected all year round.

Paralysis tick (Ixodes cornuatus) is found in Victoria and Tasmania only and has a similar seasonal pattern to I. holocyclus, with a preference for warmer weather.

The brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) prefers a warm, humid environment and can be found throughout Australia. It can, however, survive quite well in dryer climates and can cause problems in western areas of Queensland and NSW, northern South Australia and in Western Australia.

The bush tick (Haemaphysalis longicornis) is of only minor importance when compared to the others.

In general this tick is widely distributed

Clinical signs and basic diagnosis

Clinical signs

The most common trigger for seeking veterinary treatment is the onset of hind limb ataxia (wobbliness, lack of coordination and unsteadiness).

Symptoms begin on average four days after tick attachment.

The nervous, respiratory and cardiovascular systems are affected.

Initial observable signs are change in voice (bark) and slight weakness in hind quarters.

Clinical signs may worsen 24–48 hours after removal of the tick(s).

Adults are the stage normally seen on dogs and cats.

Relevant history

Affects animal at any age and either sex.

The toxin produces paralysis rising up the muscles and varying degrees of respiratory and cardiac problems.

The adult tick needs to attain a size of 4 mm diameter before the toxin is effective. This takes an average of four days but can be highly variable and can be longer.

Short-lived immunity develops after exposure.

Cardiac problems begin well before the observable signs become apparent.

Significance

Paralysis is caused by both I. holocyclus and I. cornuatus.

One female tick is sufficient to cause paralysis and death in a dog or a cat. Large numbers of nymphal stages can produce the same effect.

The neurotoxin causing paralysis is usually tolerated by the natural hosts of the paralysis tick – Australian native wildlife.

Without treatment the ascending paralysis caused by the toxin affects the breathing muscles – respiration. This, combined with other severe effects, such as vomiting or dry retching, difficulty breathing or panting, difficulty swallowing, coughing or excessive salivation, often leads to death.

Without treatment there is a progressive decline to complete paralysis.

In some cases the cardiac compromise is so severe that the animal dies, despite all efforts to treat the symptoms.

Rarely, anaemia can result with a heavy tick burden.

I hope this helps.

I have a very dumb question to ask about ticks ..... do they engorge and then fall off, or do they stay to digest and then have another (and another and another) feed?

Not dumb at all Erny. They do engorge but they don't fall off.Although I have had times when a dog will scratch them off very occasionally. Usually they just get full & bury deeper,

inbeded if you like into the skin the longer they are left on your dog.

Thank you, BC Crazy.

Does/can a tick ever bury itself into the skin completely, or is the tick's body always visible?

Just bear in mind that sometimes they can be somewhere you don't think to look-at my old work we did find one (eventually) in a dogs rectum :vomit:

My rescue BC I had for 14 .5 years had one right on the end of his personnals. Poor boy. Took me awhile to find it & he was starting to go down in his hind legs. :(

But found it & pulled it out. Quick trip to vets, lots of t.l.c. & he pulled through. Phew !

Edited by BC Crazy

If you are really going to get stressed, try & get some Proban tablets & start them at least a week before you go away. They are not being made anymore, but some places may still have stocks of them. I still have a couple of bottles left & don't know what I will do when I run out. If they are on Proban, then there is very little (but still some) chance of the ticks getting to the paralysis size, especially if they are somewhere hard to find. But really, Advantix applied to a dirty dog (not straight after a bath) & no getting wet for 48 hours, plus daily searching is pretty good. I apply the Advantix or Frontline Plus in several places along their backbone, not just in one spot like the directions say & no swimming for 2 days after.

When I lived at Buderim, our Blue Heeler came down with tick paralysis. I found the tick had buried itself under the skin, at his belly, and was already completely sealed over, only the blueish/grey tinge under skin gave it away. :eek:

Just one other thing to add - some tick affected dogs will display a change in voice as one of the earliest symptoms, even before the hind limb weakness. If you notice this, it's worth taking the dog to the vet to double check - the sooner, the better.

When I lived at Buderim, our Blue Heeler came down with tick paralysis. I found the tick had buried itself under the skin, at his belly, and was already completely sealed over, only the blueish/grey tinge under skin gave it away. :eek:

Gee I have never heard/seen that before :( That freaks me out. How aweful for you & your poor pooch.