Jeep Ad With Border Collie

SkySoaringMagpie

Showing a dog in lingerie next to a sleeping man does not suggest what we think it might.

Being sprung in bed with a dog dressed in women's underwear is an inoffensive way to sell cars, the Advertising Standards Bureau has ruled.

The advertising watchdog has hosed down a complaint that the 60-second television commercial, from the Australian arm of US car maker Chrysler, suggests that ''the man has had a sexual encounter with the dog'' after receiving complaints that this was what the ad had implied.

The ad for the Jeep Compass from media agency CumminsRoss turns sour when a man interrupts the bond formed between a woman and her dog.

One scene shows the dog, jealous of the relationship forming between the man and woman, dressed in women's lingerie and sitting on the bed next to the sleeping man.

However, a complaint received by the bureau described the scene as ''highly inappropriate and incredibly offensive'' because it included ''a reference to bestiality in primetime TV hours''.

''Nothing actually takes place between the dog and the boyfriend but having to explain to a young person why the dog is dressed in her red corset and why she then gets rid of the boyfriend is something which should not happen as a result of watching a show as harmless as Antiques Roadshow,'' the complaint reads.

Chrysler Australia did not respond to the ad watchdog's request for comment.

''The board noted the complainants' concerns that the advertisement is suggestive of bestiality and considered that whilst the woman in the advertisement just sees her lingerie-clad dog in bed with her partner, the viewers have seen the dog dress itself and are aware that the situation has been contrived by the dog without the man's knowledge,'' the determination reads.

''The board considered that the woman's interpretation of why the dog is dressed in lingerie and in bed with her partner is not clear cut and that whilst one interpretation, shared by the complainants, is of sexual activity, another interpretation could be that she is annoyed that the man has dressed the dog in her lingerie.''

The ASB noted that some people could find the advertisement to be in poor taste.

However, it said that it ''considered that the mild implication of something inappropriate between the dog and the man is overridden by the humour of the advertisement and the fact that viewers are aware of what the dog has done.''

It dismissed the complaint, saying the ad ''did treat sex, sexuality and nudity with sensitivity to the relevant audience'' and was not in breach of advertising codes.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/watchdog-says-dog-lover-ad-not-suggestive-20120320-1vgnk.html

Honestly I couldn't believe what I was reading when I read this post. That Jeep Ad is one of the most clever / funniest Ad's on tele IMO.

I love it !! :thumbsup: Flynn the Border Collie is just beautiful & is the real scene stealer. Not for one moment watching this Ad & ( I have watched it many times)

did I EVER have a lewd thought about anything gross. I am too busy smiling to myself & watching Flynn strut his stuff. So glad this complaint has been over ruled. Get a life I say.

Sonny my BC is sooo pleased it has not been axed as it is favourite Ad. He runs up to the tele every time he hears the music start looking for Flynn. Sometimes though, much to his

disappointment they put the other version of the Jeep Ad on. The one without Flynn in it & he turns to me with a very confused look on his face. :laugh: Like what the hell, "where's my mate gone".

Edited by BC Crazy

seriously some of these people that complain about how rude and crude everything is, should look at themselves and wonder why they always jump to the lewd crude and disgusting ALL the time , while every1 else just has a giggle , remeber when they tried to ban the bugger ads :confused:

Oh for goodness sake! This add is just so cute - surely all anyone is thinking is how cute the dog is!

And what "young person" is going to be watching Antiques Roadshow? I'm a lover of antiques, but that show puts ME to sleep, let alone a person of impressionable age! :laugh:

Oh good grief. Bestiality? What goes through some peoples' minds is just staggering. Maybe they should spend the time seeing a shrink rather than watch ads and then complain about them because of their own closet fetish addictions. Weirdos.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was sock puppets set up by chrysler to get free publicity. I cant imagine any normal person would see that ad and think 'bestiality' then spend their time complaining about it rather than just change the channel.

That ad was funny.

I showed it to my 9 year old and he sort of got it. He said the dog was jealous because the woman wasn't spending time with him anymore so he got angry and wrecked her clothes and then the woman came home and thought the man had dressed the dog in her dress so the man left and then the woman took the dog out in her car again. And then the dog was happy. :laugh:

Edited by perrin