Good Mid-priced Joint Supplements

shells

I would love to get some Glyde but it is just out of my price range at the moment. To tie me over I am looking for something around the $50 mark but is still a decent supplement.

My about to turn 3 year old mini poodle has had a slight limp but only when she "trots". Took her to the vet who at first thought she was ok, ok weight bearing on both legs ect but after a bit of manipulation she was a bit sore and there was a tiny bit of movement there according to the vet and decided she probably has a slight cruciate ligament tear. The Vet advised me to keep her quiet for 2 weeks and have a course of anti-inflamatories.

She did say surgery wont be an if but when so we are prepared for that too but would like to give a supplement to help now.

Its its only a slight cruciate tear then it might repair if you strictly rest the dog. They can actually heal partial cruciate tears if you rest them for long enough. Plenty of dogs who have gone the conservative management path for cruciate injuries and recovered. There are email lists and webpages dedicated to this.

As far as joint supplements go I like joint guard for a reasonably priced supplement. If you hunt around online you can pick up a 400gm tub for around $65 plus postage.

i buy glocosamine powder with msm, chrondotin add to thier food ,and fish oil for my dogs, from the chemist, much cheapoer than the pricey dog brands and if u look at the contents , it's the same stuff

Its its only a slight cruciate tear then it might repair if you strictly rest the dog. They can actually heal partial cruciate tears if you rest them for long enough. Plenty of dogs who have gone the conservative management path for cruciate injuries and recovered. There are email lists and webpages dedicated to this.

Thanks. I will have a look around for some of these webpages and email lists. The vet wasnt overly concerned and my husband didnt even think there was an issue but I spend a lot of time with her so knew she was limping plus I can hear it when she trots down the hallway looking for me. Walking and running is fine. We were a bit lax with resting her when we first noticed it so are now trying very hard to keep her quiet and maybe get a kilo or 2 off her. She isnt overweight but she has gone from running everyday to an onleash walk and unlike her very skinny brother she puts weight on quite easily

I would love to get some Glyde but it is just out of my price range at the moment. To tie me over I am looking for something around the $50 mark but is still a decent supplement.

My about to turn 3 year old mini poodle has had a slight limp but only when she "trots". Took her to the vet who at first thought she was ok, ok weight bearing on both legs ect but after a bit of manipulation she was a bit sore and there was a tiny bit of movement there according to the vet and decided she probably has a slight cruciate ligament tear. The Vet advised me to keep her quiet for 2 weeks and have a course of anti-inflamatories.

She did say surgery wont be an if but when so we are prepared for that too but would like to give a supplement to help now.

You could try Green Lipped mussel Oil (Oil not the powder) there are different types so watch what is added to the oil and look for a good strength.

This one is about $44.00 (for 50 capsuls) with delivery from NZ I give 1 a day for around a month and then cut down to every couple of days depending on the dog.

http://www.lyprinol-arthritis.com/buy+lyprinol+nz+greenlipped+mussel+arthritis+buynow

Cheers Lee

vets all natural joint formula contains green lipped muscle, its only about $50 for 500g container.

Thanks, not sure of Vets all natural as I haven't used it but so far I found the oil to be better than any powders I have tried

Cheers Lee

i buy glocosamine powder with msm, chrondotin add to thier food ,and fish oil for my dogs, from the chemist, much cheapoer than the pricey dog brands and if u look at the contents , it's the same stuff

This . I buy the human-grade powder too - needs to be the one with glucosamine AND chondriotin as both ingredients have different functions and work brilliantly together. I use it twice a day for the dogs and for myself :)

We have used Pernaease and found it quite good,not sure how it stacks up pricewise to some of the above but it was much cheaper than some of the big name brands and apparently has the same formula and active ingredients.

I did ask in the shop "what is the difference between this and the much more expensive ones?" The assistant said quick as a flash "50 bucks" . Full marks for honesty (although not sure the owner of the store would agree) - we have been very happy with the product, although my husband can't stand the smell. The dogs love it however and he doesn't have to eat it!

If you Google it lots of sites have it for well under $50.00. I would call and ask for the useby date - if you are only giving it to one mini poodle it will probably last you quite a while.

• 1 month later...

I have been told by my vet that Bindi may have a slight cruciate ligament injury. I think she probably did this a couple of months ago when Cricket rammed into her while playing soccer & she gave a yelp. Following that she was showing a bit of stiffness for a few seconds after resting, but has shown no symptoms now for about a month & still runs around like a lunatic & enjoys her agility & swimming without showing any signs of discomfort. When he manipulated the joint, he picked up a bit of tenderness. I have just read this thread & I was wondering if anybody has used this as a supplement for their dogs MSM Plus Powder