Ultrasounding Pregnant Bitches

Ons

Probably would be better in the breeders section but I can't post in that

why do breeders ultrasound their pregnant bitches? What is the reason? Is there any advantage?

I'm just really curious about it

thank you

Probably would be better in the breeders section but I can't post in that

why do breeders ultrasound their pregnant bitches? What is the reason? Is there any advantage?

I'm just really curious about it

thank you

To confirm pregnancy for a start. May make a difference to show entries, travel plans or even health of bitch or viablity of a dog.

To count possible numbers.

To ensure that pregnancy is continuing normally and that pups are viable.

To confirm pregnancy in case medical procedures need to be undertaken which may be dangerous for an in-whelp bitch.

And the biggest one......curiousity!

Just to name a few.....

To find out if they're pregnant :) It also gives you an approximate idea of the number of puppies, however the last ultrasound I had done showed 5 or 6 puppies according to the vet and she had 10.

To find out if they're pregnant :) It also gives you an approximate idea of the number of puppies, however the last ultrasound I had done showed 5 or 6 puppies according to the vet and she had 10.

:laugh: yep, my vet said he would say 4 or maybe 5 but didn't want to bet the farm on it. Koda had 9! :)

I did however have an xray done to try and do a headcount so that I would be prepared at whelping time....13 films later and they STILL couldn't get an exact count so all we could say was that judging by her size and the jumble of spines in the clearest of the murky films.....more than a few, less than a dozen! ;)

We are pretty sure our girl is pregnant but I'm getting an ultrasound done to make sure she's not just having a false pregnacy.

Her daughter had a very convincing false pregnancy recently and although everyone, vet and breeder included, thought she had puppies it wasn't until she had the ultrasound that we found out the truth.

yep, its usually just to confirm that you have babies on the way. its never reliable for numbers though - my own view is that you take the number that they give you at week 3/4 and then double it LOL

It can also be useful to determine if a bitch is absorbing litters - so if you have a decent number (say 5 or 6) early on, but at whelping you end up with 2 then you know you have issues with your bitch carrying through (it may be progesterone related, or have some other cause). So it can be a diagnostic tool in that sense too.

Main one for me is to confirm pregnancy. I have a few people waiting on potential babies so I would like yo be able to tell them if the bitch is actually pregnant or not. Also because I want to know :D

I will not be using it to estimate numbers as the vets down here don't really have much experience so don't fo numbers

Edited by OSoSwift

To add further to my contribution...it can also be a preventative health tool. A friend of mine had their bitch ultrasounded to confirm pregnancy...or so they thought.

What they found was a belly full of fluid and a raging closed pyometra. Had they not ultrasounded when they did, they could have lost their bitch. She was exhibiting a few signs of pregnancy that could in hindsight also have been illness.

Very lucky indeed.

We ultrasounded Ruby to confirm pregnancy early on, then had several more during her pregnancy to make sure she was on the right track.

If we hadn't of done the final ultrasound, we never would have known some pups were dead and another was dying. It gave us the opportunity to opt for an early ceasarean to remove the live pups as it was likely they would end up dead too if left in too much longer.