Scammers Trying Again...........

mumoftwo

Just browsing on different websites looking at dogs for sale - stumbled upon a very nice cocker spaniel supposedly reg. with papers blah blah blah, yet on a different site theres an 11 week old cocker who's get this - had one litter and has been shown ! At 11 weeks ??? The wording in both ads was almost exactly the same, the only difference is one is in Victoria and the other in Qld.

Your point?? They do it all the time :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Im just flabbergastered that they think they can get away with it !!

Apparently A Current Affair tomorrow night has a segment on puppy scammers.

Your point?? They do it all the time :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Apparently A Current Affair tomorrow night has a segment on puppy scammers.

I hope all potential buyers will watch it and take notice !!

The problem is they DO get away with it! There will always be gullible consumers and it is these types they prey on.

I have never understood why anyone would buy a puppy unseen and have it shipped to them when, for most breeds, there are breeders within a reasonable distance. The common thing I guess is price.... but then there is the age old saying of "if it's too good to be true, then it probably isn't."

Edited by ~Anne~

The problem is they DO get away with it! There will always be gullible consumers and it is these types they prey on.

I have never understood why anyone would buy a puppy unseen and have it shipped to them when, for most breeds, there are breeders within a reasonable distance. The common thing I guess is price.... but then there is the age old saying of "if it's too good to be true, then it probably isn't."

I bought a puppy unseen from interstate. That's my beautiful Kibah who is now 12 years old. I also sold a puppy to an interstate home, she is now rising 9 and her owner contacted me recently to see if I knew of any others with similar bloodlines because she loves her so much. Sight unseen purchases aren't always rip offs and mistakes, but I think it takes a bit of research and (un)common sense these days.

My Pug came from interstate, because there weren't any breeders with what I wanted (black female) in NSW in the 12 months I spent looking. Then again, if you're buying from a reputable breeder it shouldn't matter where in the country or world it comes from. These scams aren't happening through reputable breeders.

The word 'reputable' is very subjective. It has to be the most overused and misused word in the dog world.

I can think of 4 Pug breeders off the top of my head in Sydney metro and surrounds who regularly breed black Pugs. It seems you are just unlucky minimax. You were unlucky when trying to buy a rescue and unlucky when trying to buy a purebred too. Some people just don't have much luck I guess.

I am sure there are many people who have purchased a dog unseen without issue. I agree that the scams aren't happening with breeders in general, there usually isn't even a dog let alone it being a legitimate breeder selling a dog. Personally, I can can pick them a mile away.

Personally, I practice what I preach and I preach consistently to puppy buyers - meet the breeder, develop a relationship, meet the dam and the sire (where possible), meet the puppy and the rest of the litter and then purchase if you are happy with what you see.

When I ran my rescue, I wouldn't re-home a dog to home site unseen as the potential owner could be telling me anything over the phone and in emails. I trust my eyes more than I trust the written or spoken word.

Edited by ~Anne~

The word 'reputable' is very subjective. It has to be the most overused and misused word in the dog world.

I can think of 4 Pug breeders off the top of my head in Sydney metro and surrounds who regularly breed black Pugs. It seems you are just unlucky minimax. You were unlucky when trying to buy a rescue and unlucky when trying to buy a purebred too. Some people just don't have much luck I guess.

Nope, I was exceptionally lucky because I have an awsome pup from an awesome breeder and made awesome friends in the process :)

I am sure there are many people who have purchased a dog unseen without issue. I agree that the scams aren't happening with breeders in general, there usually isn't even a dog let alone it being a legitimate breeder selling a dog. Personally, I can can pick them a mile away.

Personally, I practice what I preach and I preach consistently to puppy buyers - meet the breeder, develop a relationship, meet the dam and the sire (where possible), meet the puppy and the rest of the litter and then purchase if you are happy with what you see.

When I ran my rescue, I wouldn't re-home a dog to home site unseen as the potential owner could be telling me anything over the phone and in emails. I trust my eyes more than I trust the written or spoken word.

Yes, I purchased one from the USA sight unseen and she is a great little dog.I couldn't be happier.

I have purchased from breeders many pups sight unseen.

Have you ever thought that your warning may be doing the sellers in other states a great dis-service ?.

Not only that, the the puppy buyers may be missing out on getting a great puppy.

Not all of us are unethical and I take great umbridge at your insinuation.

It is always easily overcome by any puppy purchasers who may be a bit wary, just ask them to ring the Controlling Body of your state and and ask if they have ever had any problems or complaints about the breeder you are dealing with. Also ask if they have friend that may be will to see the puppy on their behalf.

I do this and have never had a problem. Not that I breed very of thess days.

The word ethical and reputable does apply to many of us that breed and sell to other states.

Yes, I will agree that there are some that are unethical and some that are scammers where the pup does not even exhist but if the purchasers did their research into the breed and the breeder they should have little or no problems.

It is always easily overcome by any puppy purchasers who may be a bit wary, just ask them to ring the Controlling Body of your state and and ask if they have ever had any problems or complaints about the breeder you are dealing with. Also ask if they have friend that may be will to see the puppy on their behalf.

Honestly, even a bit of a simple google search will let you know these days whether a breeder is reputable or not. People are often quick to post online these days about negative experiences, and those come up in google searches.

If you can't find much info about a breeder via google, it doesn't necessarily mean they are dodgy, it just means you need to do further research.

I agree with the advice getting to know the breeder. Although I bought Kibah sight unseen, I'd met the breeder when he came over here for the whippet champ show. I liked his whippets and I kept in touch. I know he also did some checking up on me, which I thought was a good thing, especially when he then decided I would be a suitable owner for one of his puppies.

I agree with the advice getting to know the breeder. Although I bought Kibah sight unseen, I'd met the breeder when he came over here for the whippet champ show. I liked his whippets and I kept in touch. I know he also did some checking up on me, which I thought was a good thing, especially when he then decided I would be a suitable owner for one of his puppies.

Yes Kirislin, it is a two way steet.

Yes, I purchased one from the USA sight unseen and she is a great little dog.I couldn't be happier.

Have you ever thought that your warning may be doing the sellers in other states a great dis-service ?.

Not only that, the the puppy buyers may be missing out on getting a great puppy.

The word ethical and reputable does apply to many of us that breed and sell to other states.

Yes, I will agree that there are some that are unethical and some that are scammers where the pup does not even exhist but if the purchasers did their research into the breed and the breeder they should have little or no problems.

A disservice? No, not at all. You qualify my statements further on in your post when you say "Also ask if they have friend that may be will to see the puppy on their behalf." You are therefore suggesting it is a good idea to veiw the pup first. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Personally, I'd prefer to be the eyes however, as I have done in rescue, I have used other people to act on my behalf and be my eyes. Asking a friend to look at the pup first is the same thing.

Take umbridge all you like. To think that I am saying that people who sell dogs interstate are unethical takes a HUGE stretch of imagination. :laugh: Seriously.

I had a discussion last year with someone from the ACT Govt animal welfare area and he said that people should view the pup in situ. I pointed out that I had got my last three dogs from interstate and the breeders were entirely ethical. Getting a puppy from a local "breeder", using the term loosely, means nothing when that person could simply be a broker for a puppyfarm.

Edited by Sheridan

Yes, the scammers NEVER get back to you when they find out that you have a friend who will go round to see the dogs/pups. Most of them want the pup flown to you through the dodgy Cameroon pet-transport.

If you are really interested in the dog you can test them out, using a yahoo/Hotmail/GMail account, by saying you are in another state that is the furtherest form you. If they are legit you can always email them from your normal email address.

A disservice? No, not at all. You qualify my statements further on in your post when you say "Also ask if they have friend that may be will to see the puppy on their behalf." You are therefore suggesting it is a good idea to veiw the pup first. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Personally, I'd prefer to be the eyes however, as I have done in rescue, I have used other people to act on my behalf and be my eyes. Asking a friend to look at the pup first is the same thing.

Take umbridge all you like. To think that I am saying that people who sell dogs interstate are unethical takes a HUGE stretch of imagination. :laugh: Seriously.

NO I DON'T qualify any statement.

I find I do it to give a service because we have people telling prospective buyers not to buy interstate always go and visit the breeder.!!!

Then again we have some great purchasers that do their research and home work and end up purchasing just what they wanted from interstate from ethical reliable breeders.

I had a discussion last year with someone from the ACT Govt animal welfare area and he said that people should view the pup in situ. I pointed out that I had got my last three dogs from interstate and the breeders were entirely ethical. Getting a puppy from a local "breeder", using the term loosely, means nothing when that person could simply be a broker for a puppyfarm.

You are totally correct and it does go on so I am told.