What Dry Food Would You Recommend?

1334468126[/url]' post='5799758']

I am another Black Hawk convert here. I've used Artemis, Nutro and various others, but the Black Hawk is winning so far.

I just got a sample pack of Black Hawk lamb and rice which I put out in morning with their Royal Canin. They both ate the whole lot and then Charlie has been barking at the laundry shelf for more. I give chicken necks and sometimes sardines at night. I was putting out dry food when at work but I think Jasper is eating it all so have to supervise feeding at the moment as Jasper was looking fatter and Charlie started looking skinny. I don't think Jasper is scratching quite as much as before. What is the problem with corn in the kibble?

Hi Charjas, where did you get your sample bag? I would love to get the sample to try as well :) Thanks

Send Sherel an email Here & she will send you a sample :)

Edited, cause I couldn't get the link to work.

Thank you Sheena :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed my dogs different diets :o

Charlotte the almost 7yr old Golden retriever gets Holistic Select dry food. Satu the 12 week old Finnish Lapphund gets ProPlan Chicken and Rice Puppy dry food and also gets chicken wings.

I alternate between Advance Dental and Nutro Natural Choice, with the odd raw meaty bone or chicken wing.

My dog does really well on them and is always being complimented by vets on his trim, well-muscled figure and shiny coat. He has terrible dental/mouth conformation (rescue bitza), but the kibble and bones really seem to help.

I did a fair bit of research on dry food. One of the things I look for is for the first ingredient to be meat and/or meat meal. I also like that Advance is Australian made and owned.

There are probably kibble which look better on paper, but it really comes down to what works for your dog. I have heard of dogs who do best on Bonnie over the more premium brands.

I alternate between Advance Dental and Nutro Natural Choice, with the odd raw meaty bone or chicken wing.

My dog does really well on them and is always being complimented by vets on his trim, well-muscled figure and shiny coat. He has terrible dental/mouth conformation (rescue bitza), but the kibble and bones really seem to help.

I did a fair bit of research on dry food. One of the things I look for is for the first ingredient to be meat and/or meat meal. I also like that Advance is Australian made and owned.

There are probably kibble which look better on paper, but it really comes down to what works for your dog. I have heard of dogs who do best on Bonnie over the more premium brands.

Sorry to dissapoint you Papillon Kisses, but Advance may be now made in Australia but it is manufactured & owned by the multinational, Mars :(

All you poor mislead souls out there. The Dog food manufactoring companies marketing arms simply love you.

Purina just about own everything and we all whinge about Woolworths and Coles having a monoply. All the so-called up market foods just fill their coffers and help them get even more greedy.

For years I used Greens Supercoat ( before Purina took them over ) and found it very good with my large breeds,but it was changed , both in quality and particularly price so I did some research and looked into Coprice a rice based food from the AUSTRALIAN rice growers and found that my dogs love it. Stools etc are excellent, coats are immaculate.

Save yourselves some money and give it a look. $32. for 20kg. nothing artifical.

Keep you money here and feed your dogs a decent healthy food.

Guest donatella

All you poor mislead souls out there. The Dog food manufactoring companies marketing arms simply love you.

Purina just about own everything and we all whinge about Woolworths and Coles having a monoply. All the so-called up market foods just fill their coffers and help them get even more greedy.

For years I used Greens Supercoat ( before Purina took them over ) and found it very good with my large breeds,but it was changed , both in quality and particularly price so I did some research and looked into Coprice a rice based food from the AUSTRALIAN rice growers and found that my dogs love it. Stools etc are excellent, coats are immaculate.

Save yourselves some money and give it a look. $32. for 20kg. nothing artifical.

I looked at the list of ingredients first one rice. Many people choose to feed grain free for many reasons. If I wanted to feed my dog primarily rice i'd boil some up on the stove and save the $32

Guest lavendergirl

Somehow I don't think we are the poor mislead souls :D I don't think most dogs need a rice based food.

Well the first indgredient is natural cereal grains which include rice, wheat and/or sorghum, like others' thought I don't think most dogs need rice based food. Second is chicken and chicken by products - when the manufactures process the chicken/meats, they lose 80% of the water. The manufacturers weighted the chicken/meats before it goes into processing cycle and once they finish with the processing, you are actually not getting what you think you are getting (ie. if they use 10kg of chicken or other meats etc, you eventually only getting 2kg of the protein after processing). And as far as I concern, that's the only protein source in this brand of dog food and they use by-products, I'm not a big fan of this as well.

Anyway that's just my thought. In the end, you need to figure out what is best for your four legged friends :)

I have recently had to change my boy over from Black Hawk to Taste of the Wild ( grain-free Salmon ) as he developed an allergy to grain.

He is thriving on his new food & is no longer suffering from a flakey skin issue or unpleasant smell that he did for a short time before the swap.

Within 24 hours the aweful odour disappeared. 3 days flakey skin issue, gone. I was amazed & very happy he is doing so well now.

Some dogs systems just can't tolerate grain. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

@BC crazy- this sounds like my dog. I have her on advance. How much is the taste of the wild?? I woundt mind giving it a go.

Rly not many people here talking about advance...any specific reasons pls? I'm interested as I want to know more about the foods

Guest donatella

@BC crazy- this sounds like my dog. I have her on advance. How much is the taste of the wild?? I woundt mind giving it a go.

Rly not many people here talking about advance...any specific reasons pls? I'm interested as I want to know more about the foods

What size dog do you have? I pay $24.95 for a 2.27kg bag of taste of the wild but have a small dog. You can find the prices on this site www.naturalpetstore.com.au

Hi mahalia's mum, Well so far so very, very good with TOTW . Sonny is doing so well on it & his coat is gleaming. Lots happier in himself as well

& he loves the taste which is a bonus as he is a real big Mr. fussy pants with his dry food. I am paying delivered to the door around $100 for a 13.6 kg bag from Natural Pet Store.

I so highly recommend them. Their customer service & price are second to none. Was doing my head in trying to work out which one would be suitable for Sonny to try (there are so many choices)

& they were kind enough to send me samples of a few different sorts. $5 to deliver & 2 days it's at our front door & I live well outside Sydney CBD. :thumbsup:

Good thread!

I am thinking about changing my dogs diet, I want a dry food that I can use for both my dogs when pup is grown up, Ive got a german shepherd who is 2 and a Brittany pup who is 18 weeks.

I am feeding my german shepherd royal canin gsd adult.He eats it,but I know he isnt totally sold on it, because he loves the royal canin medium dog junior that I feed my Brittany pup. I supplement them with omega magic, they also get an egg or a chicken frame a few times a week, plus some roo mince or other mince. My german shepherd has been on royal canin gsd food pretty much since we got him, he does look great, ppl comment on how good his coat looks, his breath is good, he doesnt fart much at all, & poos are good.Pup is doing well on the junior for medium breeds, his breeder only gave them pal puppy dry food(eek) & I changed his food over as soon as we got him.He was so excited for the first couple of weeks about his food, now he is used to it he isnt quite so frantic about it.He is in good condition on what he is being fed, although he does strain a bit when doing poos & looks like 'that hurt' sometimes. But not all the time.

Not too sure which food to try, or if to risk a change at all?

Not much has been mentioned here about the royal canin, what are ppls thoughts on it?

Interesting I will look it up when I get a chance. Thing is I know my dog is allergic to rice - to the point that eyes swell/water and body gets inflamed/itchy. There is so little choice out there...

Good thread!

I am thinking about changing my dogs diet, I want a dry food that I can use for both my dogs when pup is grown up, Ive got a german shepherd who is 2 and a Brittany pup who is 18 weeks.

I am feeding my german shepherd royal canin gsd adult.He eats it,but I know he isnt totally sold on it, because he loves the royal canin medium dog junior that I feed my Brittany pup. I supplement them with omega magic, they also get an egg or a chicken frame a few times a week, plus some roo mince or other mince. My german shepherd has been on royal canin gsd food pretty much since we got him, he does look great, ppl comment on how good his coat looks, his breath is good, he doesnt fart much at all, & poos are good.Pup is doing well on the junior for medium breeds, his breeder only gave them pal puppy dry food(eek) & I changed his food over as soon as we got him.He was so excited for the first couple of weeks about his food, now he is used to it he isnt quite so frantic about it.He is in good condition on what he is being fed, although he does strain a bit when doing poos & looks like 'that hurt' sometimes. But not all the time.

Not much has been mentioned here about the royal canin, what are ppls thoughts on it?

My Lappie has been brought up on Royal Canin (Medium Junior as a pup and Medium Adult now), she has a lovely shiny coat, is in great condition and does really well on it so I'm a big fan :) She is also fed roo tail, chicken frames, lamb flaps and fresh sardines occasionally.

Good thread!

Hi, I had Sonny on RC med.dog for a short time. His coat went dull & dry. His over all condition did go south imho. He didn't like it very much either.

Thank westiemum. I think I will do that and see whether he likes it or not. I suppose we all learn and grow and we are trying to give our four legged friends the best we can. They definitely deserved it :eat:

One thing though is he farts quite a fair bit and the smell is definitely not pleasant. Anyone has encountered this when they put their dogs on Artemis?

p/s: he just farted while I’m typing this message... :whiteflag:

I have fed Artemis which I used to joke and call Fartemis. I now have all my rottweilers on Black Hawk which they are all doing really well on. I did have to cut them all back though as they were doing too well on it.

It worked out a lot cheaper for me feeding 5 Rotts as the 20kg bags are cheaper than most premium, I pay $85.00, and I have halved all their dry food. Body condition, coats etc are really good. I do add some raw to their diet as well.

My male who is nearly 8years old is jumping out of his skin and is still being shown where he didn't always do great on some of the other foods I tried and my 10 month old has been on the Black Hawk adult since he was about 6 months old and doing well on it. It has been so much more convenient feeding them all the same food where as in the past I had different dogs on different food and it was doing my head in when I found a dry I liked and then they would change it or it would become too pricey for me.

The dogs I have now on Black Hawk Adult range from 10 months to 10 Years with no problems so I really hope this food doesn't change anytime soon.

Cheers Lee

Hi!

I checked it out and its too expensive for me :( I am beginning to understand why people feed pedigree, its $20 for a 15kg bag, versus my $100 for advance !! I'm a student so money is tight, but to me nutrition is so very important with growth and homeostasis that I won't budge on my morals of not feeding crap food :D . I have 3 dogs at home at the moment, two small and 1 lab x kelpie that is very emaciated so she is on 4 small meals a day to feed up. I really like advance, but im now getting confused by all these debates re: grains and raw foor etc.

I am going to really sit down and research...oh this is so difficult!

Hi mahalia's mum, Well so far so very, very good with TOTW . Sonny is doing so well on it & his coat is gleaming. Lots happier in himself as well

& he loves the taste which is a bonus as he is a real big Mr. fussy pants with his dry food. I am paying delivered to the door around $100 for a 13.6 kg bag from Natural Pet Store.

I so highly recommend them. Their customer service & price are second to none. Was doing my head in trying to work out which one would be suitable for Sonny to try (there are so many choices)

& they were kind enough to send me samples of a few different sorts. $5 to deliver & 2 days it's at our front door & I live well outside Sydney CBD. :thumbsup: