What Dry Food Would You Recommend?

Hi!

I checked it out and its too expensive for me :( I am beginning to understand why people feed pedigree, its $20 for a 15kg bag, versus my $100 for advance !! I'm a student so money is tight, but to me nutrition is so very important with growth and homeostasis that I won't budge on my morals of not feeding crap food :D . I have 3 dogs at home at the moment, two small and 1 lab x kelpie that is very emaciated so she is on 4 small meals a day to feed up. I really like advance, but im now getting confused by all these debates re: grains and raw foor etc.

I am going to really sit down and research...oh this is so difficult!

Hi again MM, yes getting their diet right can do your head in, can't it :crazy: Just one thing I have found with the holistic dry food, pricey it is but you only need to feed them a small amount really. My boy gets 3/4 of a cup per day & 1/2 small chic frame & 90 grams of roo mince per day & he is a very healthy 24 kg. You can feel his ribs but you can't see them. So a large bag of dry food lasts ages. My girl only gets 1/2 cup of dry per day & the rest is the same, she's only 16kg, a lot smaller framed dog though. I also add "the missing link" to their dinner every night but that's just by choice as I always been a big fan of that product. Sonny was on advance for a short time when I was sampling different dry food's & I was givng him 1.5 cups a day so about half as much again as what I use now. Makes it very hard on student money, totally understand & good on you for not wanting to feed your loved ones rubbish :) I was very impressed with Black Hawk Holistic & would never have swapped only Sonny's can't have grain. Very reasonable price wise too.

@BC crazy- this sounds like my dog. I have her on advance. How much is the taste of the wild?? I woundt mind giving it a go.

Rly not many people here talking about advance...any specific reasons pls? I'm interested as I want to know more about the foods

Hi mahalia's mum, Well so far so very, very good with TOTW . Sonny is doing so well on it & his coat is gleaming. Lots happier in himself as well

& he loves the taste which is a bonus as he is a real big Mr. fussy pants with his dry food. I am paying delivered to the door around $100 for a 13.6 kg bag from Natural Pet Store.

I so highly recommend them. Their customer service & price are second to none. Was doing my head in trying to work out which one would be suitable for Sonny to try (there are so many choices)

& they were kind enough to send me samples of a few different sorts. $5 to deliver & 2 days it's at our front door & I live well outside Sydney CBD. :thumbsup:

Edited by BC Crazy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, didn't realise this thread was still going! Have changed Rusty onto Holistic Select Anchovy and salmon, and is doing great on it! He gets so excited for dinner time now. The smell of it is so much bette than the bland Eukanuba. He is passing stools easier, and there is much less in each one. I am able to feed him less and he's put on a healthy amount of weight. I feel he is actually absorbing it a lot better, if that makes sense.

I have been mixing some in with Biscuit's food too, and he seems to be going well with it. However my parents pay for Rusty and Cherry, whereas Biscuit is all mine. And with the discounts I get on Eukanuba where I work, I think he'll just stay on that for the meantime. And Cherry goes fantastic on Eukanuba senior.

Someone was asking about Advance in this thread. I think it depends on the dog. I hated it, Rusty and Biscuit were on it for a year or two (I can get it from my work too), but they were pooing at least 3 times per walk, and despite being on 'dental', they both got horrible plaque on their teeth. Rusty didn't enjoy it either, you could see him really forcing himself to eat it. HOWEVER, another collegue brought her bull arab mix into work on one of her days off, to say hi. Lucy (the dog) is fed on Advance, she has the most beautiful glossy coat, good muscle tone, the cleanest teeth, and no bad breathe. COMPLETLY opposite to how Rusty did on that food.

Frustrating, you just gotta find the one that works for your dog!

As many folks have said it s all trial & error to see what works best for your dog.

Since we got our first dog we have always used SUPERCOAT puppy or Adult Chicken flavoured.

No problems here.

We won a couple of bags of Great Barko (uncle Albers) and our dogs wouldn't go near it.

They aren't very keen on the Canidea either.

BB

We have 4 dogs all on Black Hawk! 2 whippets on BH Puppy, 1 whippet and bitzer on BH adult Dog. Four cats all on BH Feline.

It has worked well for us. We've tried Pro-plan, Advance, Eukanuba, Hills Science, and various others.

We don't just feed kibble though. We feed 50% raw food, chicken necks, carcasses, eggs, sardines, bones as well as kibble.

I agree it can be tricky, our guys did well on Nutro but it was more expensive than BH, our guys love the stuff (BH) and have never looked better!

Try a few and see what your dog does well on!

We went with Black Hawk as it is Australian owned and made and is now more easily available!

MnDM

• 3 weeks later...

I too am thinking changing my dog's food. From Pro plan to ????? Possibly Black Hawk. How long does it take to see a change ? Would just a sample pack be enough ?

Oh, I thought BH was American, would love to try now I know it's Australian! It's just the postage cost that is really getting me. There's a lady in Townsville I'll have to contact her sometime when I'm not too busy.

Tried Biscuit on Nutro, his poos much better but his teeth are going yuck and his breath has never smelt so bad! It's been 2 weeks or more so I've just mixed the rest in with the Eukanuba, he was going well on it apart from finding it difficult to pass. Rusty is still going extremely well on Holistic Select, however is STILL skinny :confused: He doesn't poo as much so it can't be just passing right through him. I thought he was putting on weight, but now I'm not so sure. I can easily feel his hips and it's yuck. Sigh, this is so difficult. I've added chicken wings 2-3 times a week for their diet, and will have to start giving Rusty some Advance canned food again, hopefully seeing as it is beef it will help him put on a bit of extra weight.

bunyip, I didn't really start noticing obvious changes until the dogs were completely switched to the different food. It took between 4 days to a week to get them on the new food completely, then I noticed changes about a week later. BH is a good idea, I might try it too.

It is about what is finding what is right for your dog, and of course, what makes you feel good.

For many people feeding a super-premium food makes them feel good and the dogs do well on it so its a win-win.

As my previous dog got older she could only tolerate the low residue or GIT veterinary diets (eukanuba, RC or hills).

My current dog is young and healthy and I notice no difference in her health when she has been on pedigree, hills, royal canin, advance or bonnie. If anything she seemed to do better on pedigree (less poo's, better body condition etc)

Personally I don't care whether a food is "premium" or what ingredients it has in it (within reason) as long as it is nutritionally balanced. I judge foods by what my dog does best on not what someone tells me is the "best" food.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tryed coprice,great barko,bonnie,dog pro, My dogs would eat the coprice,great barko for a couple of weeks then no longer touch it, bonnie they would eat the time,dog pro they sniffed it then walked away lol. I had them on black hawk my goldens an chihuahua did alright on it still scratched a fair bit tho,Missy my whippet had horrible gas on black hawk. I then feed them a raw diet which they love and doing great on but does cost alot to feed 4 dogs. I just brought a small bag of earthborn holistic grain free coastal catch to try on Missy if it works well for Missy I will consider putting all my dogs on it.

My little guys liked the Catch of the Wild salmon, but, I don't think I'll continue feeding it to them as they really ponged.

They were getting it for tea (breakfast being their minced turkey necks and raw vegie slops).

Man did they stink.

Mac has also turned an orangey-brown colour also :laugh:

I was really hoping Black Hawk was going to work as I liked the sound of it.... I've had 4 BC's on it for over a month & they have all lost weight!! They were on Eukanuba & all dogs are very fit & lean... So a weight lose isn't good. My big male was 19.6kg & went to 18.9 in 2wks... So he's now on 3cups of Blackhawk compared to 1 3/4cup of Euk. I'm prepared to keep them on it for 2mths then make a descision... But its not looking like the BlackHawk has enough calorie content for my dogs. Also their poo now smells & is a little soft. I was so hoping to use an Oz brand... Bugger....

Apologies. I have not read the whole thread.

For my 3, the best dry food is Holistic Select. I have tried many premium dry foods and HS is the only one that does no harm - ie they have great coats and no skin or tummy problems.

I mostly feed barf but sneak 1/2 cup of dry for their lunch.

dannyBC, HS has special working dog food.

Edited by Kajtek

Hi!

I checked it out and its too expensive for me :( I am beginning to understand why people feed pedigree, its $20 for a 15kg bag, versus my $100 for advance !! I'm a student so money is tight, but to me nutrition is so very important with growth and homeostasis that I won't budge on my morals of not feeding crap food :D . I have 3 dogs at home at the moment, two small and 1 lab x kelpie that is very emaciated so she is on 4 small meals a day to feed up. I really like advance, but im now getting confused by all these debates re: grains and raw foor etc.

I am going to really sit down and research...oh this is so difficult!

If you want to stick with Advance, order it from www.pawsforlife.com.au $89 for 15kg bag delivered to your door as long as you set up a standing order. Heaps cheaper than anywhere else I have found. I don't work for them either. :)

@BC crazy- this sounds like my dog. I have her on advance. How much is the taste of the wild?? I woundt mind giving it a go.

Rly not many people here talking about advance...any specific reasons pls? I'm interested as I want to know more about the foods

Hi mahalia's mum, Well so far so very, very good with TOTW . Sonny is doing so well on it & his coat is gleaming. Lots happier in himself as well

& he loves the taste which is a bonus as he is a real big Mr. fussy pants with his dry food. I am paying delivered to the door around $100 for a 13.6 kg bag from Natural Pet Store.

I so highly recommend them. Their customer service & price are second to none. Was doing my head in trying to work out which one would be suitable for Sonny to try (there are so many choices)

& they were kind enough to send me samples of a few different sorts. $5 to deliver & 2 days it's at our front door & I live well outside Sydney CBD. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ehhhh, I need help! I am trying Biscuit on BH, his coat has gone so lovely and he isn't struggling to poo...however, his breath stinks. This happens with every single food I've tried him on except for Eukanuba. Holistic Select, Advance, Nutro, Supercoat, and now BH. He gets this same foul smelling breath on all these foods except for Eukanuba...and I know that in people this type of smelly breath can be linked to problems in the stomach...is this the same for dogs? I understand every dog is different in regards to food, that is why I'm trying to find the right one for Biscuit...but I'm wondering if maybe the right food for him is just Eukanuba...but BH is really good despite the yucky yucky gross breath :confused:

Ehhhh, I need help! I am trying Biscuit on BH, his coat has gone so lovely and he isn't struggling to poo...however, his breath stinks. This happens with every single food I've tried him on except for Eukanuba. Holistic Select, Advance, Nutro, Supercoat, and now BH. He gets this same foul smelling breath on all these foods except for Eukanuba...and I know that in people this type of smelly breath can be linked to problems in the stomach...is this the same for dogs? I understand every dog is different in regards to food, that is why I'm trying to find the right one for Biscuit...but I'm wondering if maybe the right food for him is just Eukanuba...but BH is really good despite the yucky yucky gross breath :confused:

One thing we have found really good for bad breath is raw chicken frames.

Don't know why, but it makes a huge difference.

I pay 99c a kilo for them from a normal chicken shop.

The same thing happened to my BC. The bad breath thing & he just had this aweful smell about him as well. I swapped him over to grain free diet about 8 months ago & haven't had a problem since. Infact within 24 hours of the swap all smell had dissapeared. I was amazed & he has never looked better :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Guest lavendergirl

Silly question - but have you had him checked out for tonsillitis? Often overlooked by vets as a source of bad breath.