Should We Disclose A Foster Dogs Past When Being Rehomed?.

I would imagine it has been deleted. I had a look and the first thing that came to mind was "defamation". The trouble with starting a page like that and having an open forum is you can't stop people writing inflammatory posts.

IMO if it saves one person from a repeat of this poor ladys loss then it has done the job.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree this lady's loss is horrendous and what appears to be a concerted cover up of the dogs temperament is abhorent but I worry you are leaving yourselves open to legal action and I would hate to give them ammo. I really hope the OP is able to link in with a good rescue who can guide her in the correct and enjoyable world of rescue and foster. JMHO

What are the current proven facts right now about the group in question, how have they been validated?

If you look back on the first page of this thread you will see one persons account of foster caring for them. There are other things like a 'foster carer' they got for another group and gave a dog to, and the rescue knowing nothing about the foster carer or dog once contacted by the unsuspecting 'foster carer' and a few others I can think of

What are the current proven facts right now about the group in question, how have they been validated?

3 times I asked would my donation be tax deductible & they blocked me.

Each time anyone I know has asked a pertinent question it gets deleted & you get verbally attacked.

If you read the original post & scroll down a bit you will see the horror story of a foster carer.

the situation of the the staffy and amstaff being sent to SA to a carer who from what happened does not know the breeds because nobody in their right mind would be two dogs of those breeds that had never meet before into a back seat of a car with no crates.

Well a fight started and they had to call the police to break it up and remove them to the pound, this was straight from the person that transported to SA.

There was also the new owner of a staffy type that posted on PR's Facebook page that the dog they had adopted via PR had attacked their child and he'd been airlifted to hospital. They were wondering if they should pts the dog which is eventually what they did although some tried to dissuade them and then it was all deleted.

I am only talking about one incident SDR so cannot speak on behalf of the other incidents. IMO the issue that i have raised is quite genuine & valid.

What facts are you referring to Scallywags Dog Rescue?

All the incidents that have been aired publicly.

New charity and NFP commission on the way.

ACNC

Scallywags I believe there are snapshots gathered but posting them online would be a privacy issue? Or at least an issue for Troy. Not sure. But I'd say people will be careful about putting anyone's private experiences out there without permission.

New charity and NFP commission on the way.

ACNC

Scallywags I believe there are snapshots gathered but posting them online would be a privacy issue? Or at least an issue for Troy. Not sure. But I'd say people will be careful about putting anyone's private experiences out there without permission.

Thankyou, no need to see the cases, just wondering how many were due to handler error (due to a variety of reasons).

I have seen groups torn to shreds over situations that were caused by incidents beyond their control. Obviously the amount of incidents of late with the group in question do scream out for risk minimisation plans to be implemented urgently. The group would be great if it concentrated on exposure, fundraising and foster carer pooling for established rescue groups. With people and dogs you just cant afford to take any risks, rescue just doesnt work unless its done properly. Sad. I hope the situation can resolve and the group can start to operate a safe, controlled and transparent system. we havent had dealings with this group, but I know some VIC groups who have, and havent had problems. Perhaps its because they are just dealing with the rescue groups directly, and leaving the public out of it. I wonder if there are some NSW groups who would be willing to sit down and have a meeting with this group to see how they could improve their processes and reduce risk?

I have seen groups torn to shreds over situations that were caused by incidents beyond their control.

Yup, but the issue here is that some checking prior and after placing animals from this rescue group would have possibly prevented many of these issues. The attempted cover up of many of these issues just makes it worse :(

I have seen groups torn to shreds over situations that were caused by incidents beyond their control.

Yup, but the issue here is that some checking prior and after placing animals from this rescue group would have possibly prevented many of these issues. The attempted cover up of many of these issues just makes it worse :(

Groups need to remove certain posts or they would no longer exist, that is why a phone number and email is always a good idea. Why do people feel they need personal questions publicly answered? Its obviously the new trend. Once the facts have been substantiated then take a course of action, if it is indeed detrimental to the public or rescue as a whole. Why would someone sell themselves out on a facebook wall? I do understand what you are saying though. If the incident did occur and the group in question was entirely at fault, then I suppose a lot more respect is gained with a public statement inclusive of measures that will be implemented to ensure things don't happen again. Its hard to know unless all the facts are at hand.

Everything that you know about a dog should be disclosed, good and bad.

If you have a dog that has killed another or seriuosly injured another dog or is in a high risk of doing so, you should go straight to the vet and have it put to sleep or you ar risking other people and their animals.

Far too many nice natured animals out there, dying every day.

It is completely irresponsible to rehome such a dog and should it attack/kill another dog in the future, what these people don't realise is that they could be sued.

If it hurt one of my dogs, I'd be taking someone to court, most definitely and they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they already knew the dog was a killer.

You don't know the circumstances. I don't either. Why did it maul another dog.? If it was in foster care how did this happen? Its not the dogs fault, most of the time.

I own an AST,30kg. also a tiny bitsa JR etc. <2kg. I would never leave them alone together.

Even though they love each other. Even play is closely supervised.

Accidents can usually be both avoided and explained.

Btw. I agree with your opening statement. Full disclosure is best for all concerned. But dogs shouldn't be condemned to death. Most of the time.

Edited by shiner

If you have a dog that has killed another or seriuosly injured another dog or is in a high risk of doing so, you should go straight to the vet and have it put to sleep or you ar risking other people and their animals.

It is completely irresponsible to rehome such a dog and should it attack/kill another dog in the future, what these people don't realise is that they could be sued.

If it hurt one of my dogs, I'd be taking someone to court, most definitely and they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they already knew the dog was a killer.

You don't know the circumstances. I don't either. Why did it maul another dog.? If it was in foster care how did this happen? Its not the dogs fault, most of the time.

I own an AST,30kg. also a tiny bitsa JR etc. <2kg. I would never leave them alone together.

Btw. I agree with your opening statement. Full disclosure is best for all concerned. But dogs shouldn't be condemned to death. Most of the time.

I do know the circumstances actually and it was not an accident. I have had dogs of different sizes as well and what you have said is correct, supervision is required.

What is also required is VERY careful assessment of dogs going into foster care situation - no matter how kind the person is who is offering to help your group, if they have a situation that is high risk (ie putting a larger dog with a tiny dog), you have to go to the nth degree to test the dog you are placing but also make the foster carer VERY aware of what they need to do - ie never leave them alone together, supervise them etc. You need to do a homecheck and go through everything with them very carefully.

When I'm talking about full disclosure, as a rescuer there is no way I would place a dog that has killed another dog and I don't care what breed that may be. It could be a Jack Russell, even small dogs kill other dogs or seriously injure them.

My full disclosure is usually about whether they are storm phobic, have on lead aggression, bark at birds etc etc. I simply don't place aggressive dogs, full stop.

If you go back to the beginning of the thread Shiner all your qestions are answered with a very detailed account of what happened from the owner of the small dog ,who was also the foster carer. of the dog in question. Page 1 post 14 by Kizzyneo.

Edited by cryptic

Groups need to remove certain posts or they would no longer exist, that is why a phone number and email is always a good idea. Why do people feel they need personal questions publicly answered? Its obviously the new trend. Once the facts have been substantiated then take a course of action, if it is indeed detrimental to the public or rescue as a whole. Why would someone sell themselves out on a facebook wall? I do understand what you are saying though. If the incident did occur and the group in question was entirely at fault, then I suppose a lot more respect is gained with a public statement inclusive of measures that will be implemented to ensure things don't happen again. Its hard to know unless all the facts are at hand.

I asked if my donation would be tax deductible - 3 times then I got blocked.....is it not a fair thing to ask & why can't I ask on their public fb page.