What A Difference Breed Makes.

juice

I think any medium to large dog off leash approaching in an unfriendly or aggressive manner is a cause for concern, but what I have always found is that Bully breeds are the breeds less likely to have owners who can control them and are also the owners who take the greatest risks exercising their dogs where good control is essential, perhaps there are too many Bully breeds and X breeds of them that the general irresponsible dog owners can access too easily? I have come across my fair share of intimidating looking GSD's and Rottweilers off leash who have sized me up too, and I definitely would not have wanted to meet them roaming loose without an owner present but there is no comparison how much more control owners of these breeds have over the owners of Bully breeds from a training perspective. Sadly Bully breeds are the worse breeds I have found where off leash with an owner present provides me with little confidence if the dog attempts to rush at us that the owner will have effective control of the dog.

This is true also. Most idiots choose bull breeds.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gus and I went to our local dog park, there were 6 dogs, 4 standard poodles all from the same family & 2 amstaf x everything rescues.... initially I was not worried about any of them.

Then what started into an innocent greeting quickly turned into 4 poodles standing on top and over Gus pinning him whilst one was using his backside as a chew toy... I tried to get in there to save him and these poodles started ganging up on me!! not being "aggressive" as such but were bullies!!, I am always a lot more comfortable with Gus playing with Bull breeds than some other breeds because 1 I own a bull breed and are familiar with their play style and 2 the only problems that I have encountered have been from oodles and danes!.

I think it has quite a bit to do with your confidence and experience in/with the breed more so than intentionally being discriminatory about a specific breed.

:thumbsup:

I don't look at the breed, i look at the intent. I have had far too many 'friendly' labs or border collies charger and attack my borzoi that i just don't look at breed. bouncing happy face is fine. head down and opting towards us is a different matter.

I am confident around bull breeds, as i own one,and have owned many in the past.

But this was the first time i had one run full throttle at us.

In that split second i wondered which dog he would go for, which one was more likely to defend themselve's etc etc, pretty scary thoughts.

Actually the oodle that rushed us was bigger, just a huge ball of black hair in need of a clip :laugh:

I was concerned afterwards that it seemed to redirect its aggression to the owner as he grabbed it,which made me think he was not about to be friendly as was about to go off.

Edited by juice

The behaviour books tell you that restraint, pulling away a dog is likely to escalate aggression.

Poppy's park tally of rushing, lunging dogs - 2 bull breeds, 1 ACD. Both bull breeds had inattentive owners 1 on mobile looking away, the other dog was leashed but behind owner (muscle T guy). ACD was just old and grumpy and probably arthriticky - went for her as she was walking past. I'd have been more careful and avoided any issues if I'd had my small dog with me. False sense of security with a bigger dog.

Bella greats other dogs with her head held high, tail in the air and very rigid. I don't mind her being around large dogs but I keep her away from small dogs. Last time we were at the park there were quite a few that were growling and carrying on when she was just saying hello. So I made sure to keep her on leash when they were around because honestly she doesn't take shit from anyone I have discovered.

We have some dogs that roam in our neighbour hood. Two black working type dogs that rush us when we walk past. I spoke to a neighbour up the road and apparently they have actually mauled a few dogs already so I guess Bella and I have been lucky!

People should be cautious of any unknown dog regardless of the breed or size. l

Juice I just had a similar experience this morning. :eek: ( I was only walking one dog though!)

I was walking Bruno (15 month old boxer) home down our street and there were some guys working in the front yard of their house. I saw their male Amstaff eyeballing us, and he rushed across the road at us. His intentions were unclear, so I yelled at him. My dog went into a submissive pose and their dog thankfully, appeared to be friendly at this point. I got the feeling that things could go pear-shaped pretty easily though. So then the owner says, "I can't grab my dog (no collar) and he won't come to me, so can you walk your dog over here?"

As it seemed like the best way to resolve things that's what I did. The moment the owner got near the Amstaff he bolted. He crossed a busy road, cut through a playground and disappeared into a nature reserve (full of cyclists, joggers and people walking their dogs). I didn't see him attack anyone, but he certainly frightened some people. One lady near the road was holding her small dog which was barking, though the Amstaff didn't go right up to them. I have no idea if the owners have caught him yet.

So I too own a bull breed but hate being rushed by them, or any dog really. I'm more wary of larger, unleashed dogs particularly if they don't seem to be listening to their owners and/ the dog's body language is giving me a bad vibe. That said, we've been rushed and yapped at by some very aggressive small dogs and that is a pet hate of mine too. As others have said, the potential damage that the rushing dog can cause, and my ability to deflect it are my biggest concerns.

My own dog is bouncy, boisterous and sometimes switches his ears off when things are exciting, so he is never allowed off lead in public. It's not fair to anyone else or their dogs, even if his intentions are friendly. The onus is on me to be a responsible owner and keep training him until he is better behaved and has 100% recall. I hope we get to that point one day. :o

Juice, I hope your dogs are unaffected by the experience. :crossfingers:

The behaviour books tell you that restraint, pulling away a dog is likely to escalate aggression.

I don't think in all cases it's the physical pulling away and restraint that escalates aggression and is more contributed to the attitude of the handler doing the pulling that ramps the dog up higher especially when the handler is nervous of the dog reacting the dog senses the handler nerves, the handler tightens the leash and the whole atmosphere of the situation makes things worse. I know of a couple of reactive dogs who are absolutely fine with one member of the family and with another, they are lunging all over the place, same dog, same pathway different handler, different attitude in the dog?

The times iv had problems with 'rushing' dogs my mind has imidiatly gorn to 'how much dammage can this dog do?'.

Yes, me too lol!! Tiny dogs with loads of aggression and intent as a dog are just as bad as a big dog, breed comes into it in regard to what you can handle if things get nasty where people misconstrued this scenario for a breed thing which it isn't really. I think the highest levels of aggression I have seen are in small dogs that can fit on the end of your boot easily so people tend not to worry too much and breed label, but it takes only mild aggression in a big dog people can't handle to breed label as aggressive, how much damage can this dog do is really the basis of it IMHO

Edited by m-sass

Luckily I never had the situation where I have been seriously scared of a dog rushing us. Usually it is a "playful" rush or a pseudo-aggressive rush from a small dog.

I honestly do not understand why small dogs run up aggressively to my large dog and some even begin to attack her. Do they lack some special life-preservation gene or even spatial awareness? My dog could literally kill them with one bite which I would hate to happen. Lucky she is very placid and sooky.

My dog is (rightly) submissive and wary around dogs larger than herself (unless she knows them), so she clearly has some sense of self-preservation and spatial awareness.

Gday, I own a female Amstaff, 30 kg scarred head from pigging as well as a few nasty scuffles with apbt's and a savage RR. She rushes, it is common behaviour for active breeds, terrier or not. My dog ( and I'm sure the majority ) has only good intentions. She just can't get there quick enough to say hello.

The problem starts with the human accompanying the "rushed". If you panic, feel threatened, etc, then your "best friend" has no choice but fulfil his/her duty to protect you from the percieved attack. Dogs are masters at reading body language.

So by the time the "rusher" arrives to say hello, they are often met with aggression, from you & your dog/s. Everyone is confused as to each others intentions. And a confused dog is the same as a scared dog; it bites.( mine won't unless grabbed).

Having said that I am also often on the other side and it is never good fun. My main concern, when being rushed is the welfare of the dogs, not my own. I will jump in and break it up.

If its not a bull breed I worry for it, and if it is I worry for my own dog, but you can't let it show, confidence and friendly assertion ( no fear ), is the way to diffuse the situation..............

Sometimes.

Edited by shiner

Another type of rush my dog does is interesting. I live on a rural property. An L shaped block gives us about eight common neighbours. All have dogs, all large or bull X. Three times in as many months, while my dog is out of her yard with me, we've seen strange dogs loose on our property. My dog rushes ( I don't try to stop her), when she arrives (hackles up) she is met with full aggression, but she doesn't bite. She shoulders, chests and headbutts. All three times involved two dogs. Blue cattle& lab/retriever, StaffX and GSD, Staff X & Bitsashep.

All three times she has seen the intruders off quick smart without being bitten. And they do try to bite her. I have never seen a dog do this consistently. She is a ferocious pig hunter btw.

Always picks the biggest. Yet I can leave her in a yard indefinitely with my chooks.

I guess its obvious, but they do know what we think, and they think they know what we want.

Staffy's are the best.

I have to add to this thread. I own a male GSD, and have always had big dogs, just not 'bull breeads'. I was never worried about them until I had a terrifying experience when I was walking a 6 mths old pup (ACD). I got 2 houses from my own and a APBT/mastiff looking dog came rushing across the road, no sounds. My pup did the puppy roll over and the dog grabbed him by the throat and started to shke him and drag him across the busy road. I was kicking this animal in the groin, I smashed a brick over its head, 3 men pulled their cars over, managed to prise the dog of mine, and I ran to my house with my bleeding, screaming puppy, but as I got to my home it got loose. It ran over again and got my puppy and the scene repeated itself. Eventually the men got him off, I got to my house, as I got inside my screen (thick security thank god) it threw itself against my door 3 times before retreating back across the road. I had wrapped a towel around my puppys neck to try to stop the bleeding, started to come out the front to go to the vets & it came back, slammed itself up against the door a couple more times. Eventually the dog was picked up by the rangers, who said as it was not a human attack only on another dog it wasnt going to be put down unless there were other reports.

The ppl who owned it were complete idiots who should have been shot.I grew up on a farm and until this happened had no bias at all against these types of dogs but that experience I hate to say it, has changed my view even though I try to rationalise it. It was like a scene from a horror movie and I cant forget it. I know that this was an extreme situation and the likelyhood of it ever happening again is pretty minimal, I wish I didnt feel this way, it breaks my heart because I know that there are lovely bully dogs around, so apologies to anyone with one for my story.

Now I am very, very wary of anything that looks remotely like a pit bull type, especially when the owners clearly have no control. I did see a teenager with one at the park the other day, I dont care how good your dog is, if it has the ability to potentially kill someone then dont let a kid walk it. Its dangerous. I dont let my kids walk my dog simply because if anything were to happen then my son doesnt have the strength or knowledge of how to deal with it.

I have to add to this thread. I own a male GSD, and have always had big dogs, just not 'bull breeads'. I was never worried about them until I had a terrifying experience when I was walking a 6 mths old pup (ACD). I got 2 houses from my own and a APBT/mastiff looking dog came rushing across the road, no sounds. My pup did the puppy roll over and the dog grabbed him by the throat and started to shke him and drag him across the busy road. I was kicking this animal in the groin, I smashed a brick over its head, 3 men pulled their cars over, managed to prise the dog of mine, and I ran to my house with my bleeding, screaming puppy, but as I got to my home it got loose. It ran over again and got my puppy and the scene repeated itself. Eventually the men got him off, I got to my house, as I got inside my screen (thick security thank god) it threw itself against my door 3 times before retreating back across the road. I had wrapped a towel around my puppys neck to try to stop the bleeding, started to come out the front to go to the vets & it came back, slammed itself up against the door a couple more times. Eventually the dog was picked up by the rangers, who said as it was not a human attack only on another dog it wasnt going to be put down unless there were other reports.

The ppl who owned it were complete idiots who should have been shot.I grew up on a farm and until this happened had no bias at all against these types of dogs but that experience I hate to say it, has changed my view even though I try to rationalise it. It was like a scene from a horror movie and I cant forget it. I know that this was an extreme situation and the likelyhood of it ever happening again is pretty minimal, I wish I didnt feel this way, it breaks my heart because I know that there are lovely bully dogs around, so apologies to anyone with one for my story.

Now I am very, very wary of anything that looks remotely like a pit bull type, especially when the owners clearly have no control. I did see a teenager with one at the park the other day, I dont care how good your dog is, if it has the ability to potentially kill someone then dont let a kid walk it. Its dangerous. I dont let my kids walk my dog simply because if anything were to happen then my son doesnt have the strength or knowledge of how to deal with it.

Couldn't agree more with not letting kids walk dogs, any dog. Sorry to hear that happened to your puppy, I couldn't think of anything worse and have nearly been in the same situation with Bella, lucky she was only little and I was able to scoop her up and turn away before the dog got to us. I've seen with my two how determined this breed can be to get to what they want, in this case it was a Kangaroo that had managed to jump the fence into our yard and they did not give up at all. That's there natural instinct coming through right there and I hope I never have to see it again, that is the only time I have ever disliked my dogs.

Gday, I own a female Amstaff, 30 kg scarred head from pigging as well as a few nasty scuffles with apbt's and a savage RR. She rushes, it is common behaviour for active breeds, terrier or not. My dog ( and I'm sure the majority ) has only good intentions. She just can't get there quick enough to say hello.

The problem starts with the human accompanying the "rushed". If you panic, feel threatened, etc, then your "best friend" has no choice but fulfil his/her duty to protect you from the percieved attack. Dogs are masters at reading body language.

So by the time the "rusher" arrives to say hello, they are often met with aggression, from you & your dog/s. Everyone is confused as to each others intentions. And a confused dog is the same as a scared dog; it bites.( mine won't unless grabbed).

Having said that I am also often on the other side and it is never good fun. My main concern, when being rushed is the welfare of the dogs, not my own. I will jump in and break it up.

If its not a bull breed I worry for it, and if it is I worry for my own dog, but you can't let it show, confidence and friendly assertion ( no fear ), is the way to diffuse the situation..............

Sometimes.

I disagree. I believe the problem starts with unrestrained dogs who rush, and owners with no control over their dogs. It is threatening to be rushed by a dog. Train it, contain it or keep it on a leash. There's no excuse for allowing your dog to rush others, no matter how well-intentioned you believe it to be.

My dog would likely rush up to other dogs if given the choice. I don't give him free reign to do so. He meets others on my terms, and isn't given the opportunity to botch it up and frighten anyone.

Sometimes.

I disagree. I believe the problem starts with unrestrained dogs who rush, and owners with no control over their dogs. It is threatening to be rushed by a dog. Train it, contain it or keep it on a leash. There's no excuse for allowing your dog to rush others, no matter how well-intentioned you believe it to be.

My dog would likely rush up to other dogs if given the choice. I don't give him free reign to do so. He meets others on my terms, and isn't given the opportunity to botch it up and frighten anyone.

:thumbsup:

Sometimes.

Of course, that goes without saying. I was only trying to stay on topic. When I mentioned my dog rushing I meant in controlled off leash situations (Known dogs on friends properties, Hunting,etc) I don't go to dog parks, because you don't know who or what will be there. Who being the operative. I wasn't trying to justify rushing dogs, just rationalise it.

Edited by shiner