Dogs Urine Burning The Lawn

Staffyluv

I have only ever had male dogs and never really had this problem before but the last 2 fosters have been little girls and where they pee on the lawn it is burning it off..

Is there anything I can do to counter this?

Thanks in advance.

There is a product available called "Dog Rocks", which you add to your dog's water and it stopped the urine killing the lawn.

Most online pet shops sell it, but I have found it cheapest on ebay.

We have a male lab and his pee kills the lawn too. I don't use commercial products; instead i hose the patch where he wee'd...of course this only works when he's taken out for a wee at night or when i happen to catch him during the day when i'm outside with him. It's helped a lot with the lawn issue but i realise it's not a solution for everyone.

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I've tried dog rocks and bi-carb in their drinking water - but I haven't really found anything that solves the problem.

If the dogs are indoor dogs you can use a garden hose or watering can and rinse off the grass if you are present when they go out to pee. It's the only things that works for sure. I found Lawn Rocks in the water work sometimes but not always. It could well be the time of year and the amount of rain, dew on the grass contributes.

I have found some dry foods seem to be a bigger cause than others too.

Apparently it has alot to do with the dogs diet. High protein kibbles for example, the dogs system converts the protein into nitrogen which is what burns the lawn. You can imagine pooring on undiluted fertilizer onto your lawn, it would kill it, same goes here. As Su has mentioned below trying to wet the patches (when and where possible) reduces this problem.

Apparently it has alot to do with the dogs diet. High protein kibbles for example, the dogs system converts the protein into nitrogen which is what burns the lawn. You can imagine pooring on undiluted fertilizer onto your lawn, it would kill it, same goes here. As Su has mentioned below trying to wet the patches (when and where possible) reduces this problem.

I have a male and a female (both desexed) here at the moment and it is only her urine that is doing it.

They are on exactly the same diet... Nutro kibble, barf patties and a bone or turkey neck.. That is pretty much all they eat apart from training treats (and again, I use the same treats for both)...

I will get some of the rock things and give them a go...

Thanks

Adding a table spoon of apple cider vinegar to a bucket of water will stop the burns in the grass, Just make sure every source of water has the apple cider vinegar in it otherwise it won't work. The problem I found with the dog rocks is your not meant to change the water, you should always top it up for them to work and I found the water can get pretty dirty. I don't use either now as I have drained him to go on my mulch area which I don't have to worry about.

Good luck with it.

The problem I have with the dog rocks is that my dog doesn't like them in his water bowl... so he takes them out :rofl:

Mine do this as well :rofl: Well one does anyway, not hard to spot the guilty party. She has to put her whole head under the water to get them out.

We always had boys and they never had this problem, the vet told me it was because boys pee more often and girls hold onto it longer so it builds up more acid and the amount of pee is obviously more.

I have given up and just live with burnt grass. We have buffalo and it seems to grow over the marks quickly in summer. Not looking forward to if we want to sell anytime.

I have a male and a female (both desexed) here at the moment and it is only her urine that is doing it.

They are on exactly the same diet... Nutro kibble, barf patties and a bone or turkey neck.. That is pretty much all they eat apart from training treats (and again, I use the same treats for both)...

I will get some of the rock things and give them a go...

Thanks

Here's a link about it....

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html

Another vote for apple cider vinegar.

Helps the burn marks on the lawns. Helps keep kitty litter tray smell down. Helps to prevent staining around eyes and mouth on white dogs and on lick marks on legs and feet.

Great for helping to prevent UTI in humans as well if drunk regularly. And I'm told good for arthritis as well.

Make sure it is pure apple cider vinegar though, some have caramel and colours added. The best stuff is the type from the health food shops but there are a couple of supermarket brands which are acceptable.

Another vote for apple cider vinegar.

Helps the burn marks on the lawns. Helps keep kitty litter tray smell down. Helps to prevent staining around eyes and mouth on white dogs and on lick marks on legs and feet.

Great for helping to prevent UTI in humans as well if drunk regularly. And I'm told good for arthritis as well.

Make sure it is pure apple cider vinegar though, some have caramel and colours added. The best stuff is the type from the health food shops but there are a couple of supermarket brands which are acceptable.

Thanks, I have added this to the water and see how it goes...

They are both in disgrace today as they got onto the new lawn and dug up some of the new turf that we have just put down... Cheeky buggers are now banned from the grassed area unless someone is with them...