Advocate Not Working, Itchy Puppy :(

WeimMe

Is it possible that fleas can build up a resistance to Advocate? I recently treated my pup with Advocate and it just has not seemed to work. I was careful not to bath him for a week beforehand, and 5 days later he has a few fleas on him again.

I really don't want to dose him up again with another spot on until the recommended time between treatments has elapsed, but I don't feel that I can leave him without any relief as he is very itchy and uncomfortable. The vet thinks he may have a flea allergy as he has a rash on his belly.

Any ideas of what I could use? Would a flea wash be overkill on top of the spot on?

You can give treatments fortnightly as Advantix has to be applied fortnightly for ticks. Maybe try comfortis or advantix as both (I think) are supposed to repel the fleas as well as kill em. It sounds like you may have a flea nest somewhere that he is picking them up from.

I've done his bed, but not the yard - maybe that's the problem.

I might ask at the vet about when he can take Comfortis as he's only 5 months old and see about getting another spot on to use in a week or so. I'm not sure about using another dose of the Advocate as it has heartworm medication in there as well. Comfortis works really well for our other dog so I'll switch him to that as soon as I'm able.

Comfortis is safe form 14 weeks old so good for your guy. I am another fan of it for fleas :)

It isn't likely the fleas have a resistance to it, no - products that stop working also stop selling and either have to be redone or removed :) But there could be underlying issues, spot-ons will not work well for a dog who has other skin issues such as dry skin or a lack of natural oils in the coat. Which is why Comfortis works so well on a wide range of dogs.

Comfortis is safe form 14 weeks old so good for your guy. I am another fan of it for fleas :)

It isn't likely the fleas have a resistance to it, no - products that stop working also stop selling and either have to be redone or removed :) But there could be underlying issues, spot-ons will not work well for a dog who has other skin issues such as dry skin or a lack of natural oils in the coat. Which is why Comfortis works so well on a wide range of dogs.

There is yet to be a clinical study that concludes fleas can build any resistance to the active ingredients in advantage, advocate, frontline etc.

I've done his bed, but not the yard - maybe that's the problem.

I might ask at the vet about when he can take Comfortis as he's only 5 months old and see about getting another spot on to use in a week or so. I'm not sure about using another dose of the Advocate as it has heartworm medication in there as well. Comfortis works really well for our other dog so I'll switch him to that as soon as I'm able.

yeah I probably wouldn't go another dose of advocate because it does heartworm, intestinal worm etc. I would try a treatment that just does fleas.

are you sure it is fleas by the way? If you have been giving him advocate regularly for the last few months then I would definitely be looking into whether he has allergies or something else that makes him itchy. :)

He does have a noticably dryer coat than my other dog and I was thinking this might be an issue. I just hope that the heartworm preventer worked!

That said, I have looked and looked and can't see any fleas on him, even though he scratches madly at night. I am beginning to suspect it may be allergies as he has a rash on his tummy (which I thought was from the phantom fleas).

No Wandering Jew or anything like that in the garden. I really hope he's not allergic to grass or something really common.

Edited by WeimMe

Could your dogs itchyness be not related to fleas?

It's entirely possible. I tried bathing him with Aloveen and it seemed to give him some short term relief. I'll have to have a chat to the vet and see if we can work out what it is that is causing the problem.

Are there specific areas that your dog focuses on for scratching? The "hotter" areas such as the pads of the feet, under arms, tummy, bottom/tail area and ears. Focus on those areas often indicate an inhalant/Atopic allergy which may have one or more causes. food allergies can appear in a number of ways (ie welts, hotspots, rash etc) and may or may not be accompanied by ear problems, vomiting or loose stools.