How To Deter From Eating Own Pooh?

I ahve a 12, nearly 13 weeks pup and he (occassionally) eats hiw own pooh...

He doeswn't eat the "soft" pooh which he leaves around the garden BUT if it comes out "hard" he goes for it, not always but I have caught him

on occassions doing this!!

It's a really disgusting habit and I have a Labrador with him outside BUT he doesn't eat the Lab's pooh...just his own and when it is hard.

When I catch him, I grab him between his shoulders and say "no" sternly ...he stops but if I turn my back to get the pooh scooper, he would have eaten it!!

Pls help.... I remember reading somewhere about putting crushed pineapples in his food?... anything to get him out of this disgusting habit! :(

THANKS

Current diet is Advance puppy with Home-made mince (I amke these with beef mince, garlic, brocolli, carrot etc - all mushed up with the food processor) so i mix these with the Advance as he gets really hungry now (must be a "growth spurt"??)...

When he came from his Breeder, he only had dry (advance)...

Was it b'cos i added the other stuff (my 3 yr old Lab eats dry mixed with this mince stuff) ??

Thanks

what is his current diet at the moment? And why is he having 2 different types of stool?

Both meals are the same ...i think the "first" pooh that comes out is the "hard" one...harder than thesoft ones that follow!

When he first came at 9weeks old, he had only dry food and 1 1/2 weeks ago, I added the mince as I thought he might need more food - he doesn't get treats in between and 2 days ago, I gave him the Pork trotters before i go to work and remove it when I leave the house. He gets two (2) Eukanuba "puppy biscuits" at night after I have walked the Lab...

He cannot walk now as I have to wait - he had his 12 weeks vaccination yesterday.

pineapple contains an enzyme that helps break down protein, you can try adding that to his mince.

Saying that which meals tend to give him hard poos?

Do you add any vitamins to the mix, flax oil, kelp powder?? Just curious :-)

No i don't ...shd I?? ,,

just started doing my own mix after reading about these on the Forum ...and also for costs purposes.

I used to buy BARF but feel it's not as good as before now it has changed hands..

I've had that issue. My girl used to wait and catch and eat her brother's poo as it was coming out of him, nice and steaming and hadn't even touched the ground!

I tried everything, tried it all, pineapple, etc. nothing worked. I asked vets and experienced people and they said not to bother doing anything as it doesn't harm them in any way and they generally grow out of it. Mine did, mostly.

It has nothing to do with deficiencies or their current diet or anything like that. It can be a learned behaviour when they watch their mum cleaning up the whelping area by eating the puppies poo.

My advice, do nothing, just look away!

:doh:

I've had that issue. My girl used to wait and catch and eat her brother's poo as it was coming out of him, nice and steaming and hadn't even touched the ground!

I tried everything, tried it all, pineapple, etc. nothing worked. I asked vets and experienced people and they said not to bother doing anything as it doesn't harm them in any way and they generally grow out of it. Mine did, mostly.

It has nothing to do with deficiencies or their current diet or anything like that. It can be a learned behaviour when they watch their mum cleaning up the whelping area by eating the puppies poo.

My advice, do nothing, just look away!

Ironically my Vet also said that - they will grow out of it!

BUT i thought if there was a way i could deter it, i will try... :crossfingers:

Hey mollyrulz the books I have read say to I thought that may have been why .. I bought everything to add to mine ( I was going to use dr billinghurst method as I've read all his books) but I decided to keep going with the barf patties for now, lazy lol..

Do a search on here re feeding raw someone has a great recipe and experience re this :-)

Good luck with your poo eater lol icky :-)

i have a really bad poo eater, hers, my other 2 dogs, and any poo she can get to on the walk before me

i have been trying the pineapple for a week now ,and she just seems even keener to find some out walking, she even makes a grab onlead if i miss it in the grass :laugh:

careful with garlic - not good for dogs

Only in large amounts. A small amount won't hurt them, actually supposed to be a natural flea repellent if I remember correctly?

I do give my dogs a small amount of garlic, never hurt them at all.

Onions on the other hand (including spring onions, shallots, leeks) should be avoided completely.

Do you add any vitamins to the mix, flax oil, kelp powder?? Just curious :-)

I do think vitamins can be beneficial. However the dog would be getting that from his dry food anyway so no big deal.

There are a few multivitamin type products on the market. VAN make a good one, as do PetArk.

Sorry, no help with the original question thoughembarrass.gif

I have tried everything for this revolting problem :vomit: with my girl to no avail. So I have to pick it up ASAP & not a second later. As soon as "IT" hits the ground otherwise "YUMMY" &

that goes for Sonny's as well. Oh yes his is even tastier. :vomit:

I have tried everything for this revolting problem :vomit: with my girl to no avail. So I have to pick it up ASAP & not a second later. As soon as "IT" hits the ground otherwise "YUMMY" &

that goes for Sonny's as well. Oh yes his is even tastier. :vomit:

oh dear... let me try and see how it goes :crossfingers: