I Think It's Nearly Time For Lilly

Well, she's surprising me. Even though she's not allowed outside except on a lead, she seems mostly happy right now. She's losing bladder control - she has been fairly good with this but has recently started just squatting inside even though I'm right there to take her out. :( She's losing weight even though she's eating the same amount and type of foods and her poos are less firm and have more volume. I think she's slowly but surely succumbing to the ageing process and if the pain flares up again, I'll more than likely give her her wings. But darn it, just when I think it's time, she looks at me - the old Lilly - and I just think, 'Not yet'. *sigh*

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so hard , isn't it?

Knowing how far to let them go along the road to loss of control and enjoyment ...how far do we let them travel when their bodies are too weary to process food properly , and when they are finding normal things tiring...

Thinking of you ...

But darn it, just when I think it's time, she looks at me - the old Lilly - and I just think, 'Not yet'. *sigh*

And if that's what you think, then all likelihood that's what she's telling you. It is a roller-coaster ride for you, though, isn't it? If she seems happy just hangin' around and bein' inside, then that's ok - she's happy, she simply has time spots when she's not.

Edited : I hope that doesn't read as blase as I think it could - not meant to.

Edited by Erny

• 5 weeks later...

Happy update:

Lilly is relatively pain-free on Metacam. I give a dose every other day and it's helping her to stay mobile and out of the crate. But she is painfully thin and not gaining weight. So I just keep her happy, comfortable, warm and dry and wait for the signs that she doesn't want to be here any more. She had a gastro upset the other day too...lots of vomiting. :(

But while she's happy and healthy enough, I'm happy. She's still enjoying life at this time so that's the main thing, isn't it? :)

I'm really worried about the weight loss...vet seems far less concerned than I am about it. But as long as she's not in pain and still has a decent quality of life, I'm happy. :)

Does she have a healthy appetite?

She's eating well and has a great appetite. :)

I give her a combination of a premium and a super-premium dry; as a treat, I buy her dog roll every few weeks just so she has a change. I used to feed them all on raw but I can't afford it any more.

My old boy lost a lot of weight in his last year...upped his diet to a working dog formula, which helped due to a higher protein content. I tried to do that with Lilly but she doesn't digest it well. :o

I was in the same situation with my mini schnauzer. Each time I thought it was time for him to go, he would rally and of course he stayed. I took both my boys for a wellness check to my vet, and she confided in me that what she saw was a very unhappy boy, and we should consider letting him go. He was almost blind, 14.5 years old, sometimes eating well, other times not eating much or at all. There were many times I thought to myself about what sort of a life he was living. He couldn't come to the park with us because he was out of his comfort zone, suffering from dementia, almost blind, he could stand out in the garden and just stare or turn in circles. Each morning I would come into the family room and to the couch where he was sleeping for the night, hoping he had passed during the night. It's gut wrenching having to make the decision. We did decide to let him go at this vet visit as we were all there, including his beloved furry friend. He went to sleep in my lap and to tell you the truth, it was a great relief to see him off on his journey. You will know when the time comes. The only advice I can give is to not hold on for your own sake. I know it's hard. All the best to you and of course Lilly.

lillysmum, have you considered applying for Vetpay? they will lend up to $2000 for vet bills and you can pay it off every fortnight. My vet told me they are pretty good lending to people on centrelink benefits as well. You would at least be able to get some xrays done which might show just what you and Lilly are facing at the moment. All the best to you both.

• 2 weeks later...