Heat Pads

juice

I am thinking of buying a heat pad for my dally for inside at night, but need advice on which ones are good.

I assume they stay plugged in all night, so need to make sure he doesn't get caught in the cable.

He sleeps in a dog bed with lots of bedding and a coat on ,but i turn the gas heater off at night downstairs before i go to bed, so wanted something to keep him snug.

Can anyone offer tips advice on which ones are good, and how best to use them? :)

What about something like this one: Self-warming mat

I'm looking at trying these out for my two since they sleep outside. And on the plus side, no cord, which I'd worry about my dogs chewing and electrocuting themselves.

I couldn't work out how they are self warming.Do you know they are heated?

What about something like this one: Self-warming mat

I'm looking at trying these out for my two since they sleep outside. And on the plus side, no cord, which I'd worry about my dogs chewing and electrocuting themselves.

I couldn't work out how they are self warming.Do you know they are heated?

Those look like they just have a particular kind of insulating material inside which captures the heat and retains it in the pad so the dog is lying on something warm. It's probably not as warm as something you plug into the wall or heat up in the microwave, as it is just using the dog's own body heat and some will inevitably be lost (especially if your dog is a restless sleeper and tends to get up from their bed then come back during the night). They aren't heated by anything other than the dog lying on them.

I tried, for a while, a microwave one similar to what Ptolemy posted and it didn't stay warm for the 10 hours they claim, but by the time it was wearing off, morning was warming up so it worked quite well.

I use the Snugglesafe ones that heat in the microwave for my small dogs. I put it in their beds just before bedtime and it is still warm in the morning. Putting it under the blanket/throw in their beds seems to help keep it warm.

I have a snuggle safe but because the whippets sleep with me, I tend to use it too. :laugh:

I have made a woollen cover for mine, I think if you had an old dog or one that didn't move it might get too warm, even though it comes with a little synthetic cover, I dont think it's enough. Sometimes I still have to move it away. If it had a few layers of blankets between it and the dog it would probably be OK.

Edited by Kirislin

They look really good, not very big though, i would need at least a couple for a dally i would think?

I was thinking they would be good for the other 2 who live outside in their kennel aswell.

Can you get them in shops over here, or just mail order?

I have greyhounds and they sleep outside at night with just two coats on in their kennel when I work. The nights I am home they sleep inside but no heating pads. Does your dog really need a heating pad or is it for your peace of mind?

I do have a couple of heated beds but they were for the old dog and cat. They won't be used this year for my young/ish healthy pets.

My dally is 12/13 and has arthritus in his hips, so he comes in after tea and lays infront of the heater.

When i go to bed he goes to his bed and i put on his fleece coat, but the heating goes off.

My other 2 are outside in coats, in kennels on pallets with lots of fleece bedding, all undercover completley.

My cattle x has a long coat, so i often see him just snuggled on the tramp bed which has deep bedding on too, instead of in a kennel ,so don't think he is cold, he runs from his coat too, and its often in the middle of the garden in the morning :laugh:

They all feel warm in the morning,and they have light day coats if its cold during the day too.

Tail Waggers

Is a new range of heating beds we stock at work aswell. No personal experience with them myself but they are selling quite well and no one has tried to return one or called to make a complaint so they might be worth a look at too :).

I have ones very similar to this and they work very well. They don't feel that warm to touch but the animals all wanted to sleep on them. When I kicked the younger ones off so the oldies could get on the warm area was plenty warm enough.

Tail Waggers

Is a new range of heating beds we stock at work aswell. No personal experience with them myself but they are selling quite well and no one has tried to return one or called to make a complaint so they might be worth a look at too :).

I have ones very similar to this and they work very well. They don't feel that warm to touch but the animals all wanted to sleep on them. When I kicked the younger ones off so the oldies could get on the warm area was plenty warm enough.

I had one of them, it doesn't get very warm to touch but I think it kept the whippets warm. It just stopped working after about 2 years though, so now it's just a mattress.

Do the flat beds keep them warm enough with nothing on the sides?

Mine were all happy. They also wore a coat. My main bed was under the table against a wall. I could have enclosed a couple of sides but they were fine.

Do the flat beds keep them warm enough with nothing on the sides?

Mine were all happy. They also wore a coat. My main bed was under the table against a wall. I could have enclosed a couple of sides but they were fine.

Hmmm.. maybe I'll have to get him some doggy pj's or something just to make sure he's snug enough as it will be a bit of shock going from snuggling under my quilt with me to being on his own on a bed with no cover. I know he'll adapt and get used to it but I'm being the over protective owner until then. :o

if he is going to be crated you can throw a couple of blankets over the top to make it snug.