Getting Dogs To Bark At People Entering Yard (as They Are Hitting Dad

01kismet

I agree. You have a much bigger problem than getting your dog to bark. Inform the police and maybe they can turn up at 6 am and have a talk to these people. Your Dad needs to see the potential danger he is putting you all in. Good luck, hope you can work it out.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

But hang on, unless her father has dementia or is mentally impaired the police most likely won't want anything to do with it. If he is giving people money willingly, knowingly, it isn't a police matter.

Guest donatella

Hey maybe I can send the police to have a talk to my nan who gives all her money to the pokie machines, those scamming bastards.

Guest donatella

If they are willing to get involved then great and a scare from police would be nice IF they get involved..

I reckon set your alarm early and let the dogs out at 5am, a few German shepherds running around would deter most.

Guest donatella

I was being smarty, she doesn't have a pokie problem but it's the same thing right? Old person giving money to something/someone wastefully. If he is giving it compus mentus it's his money what do you want the cops to do? They're not his financial controller. Fair enough if hes mentally impaired or demented then that is theft but if he knows what he's doing its his money. The people around him should be enforcing the wrong behind it.

I was being smarty, she doesn't have a pokie problem but it's the same thing right? Old person giving money to something/someone wastefully. If he is giving it compus mentus it's his money what do you want the cops to do? They're not his financial controller. Fair enough if hes mentally impaired or demented then that is theft but if he knows what he's doing its his money. The people around him should be enforcing the wrong behind it.

But sometimes even someone with no mental deterioration can be scammed into giving a scammer money. The elderly are at risk of this and sometimes don't believe their family members- a visit from the police might make these people back off. Also having the police explain to him that there is a chance that he is being scammed might make him stop giving them money.

If after all that nothing changes than fair enough but I do think that saying that its his money is not taking into account the entire situation. There have been other situations where the elderly have been taken advantage of and have ended up being completely fleeced and left with nothing. Its great that this gentleman has someone interested enough in his welfare to take measures to ensure he is not being taken for a ride.

Guest donatella

My point is IF the police are willing to come and talk to him I'm all for it but don't be surprised if they tell you there's nothing they can do.

I have seen situations police refused to get involved in when they really should have. Depends on the coppers in your area I guess.

1335344973[/url]' post='5812025']

Why don't you wait for them to turn up and have a local police officer there? They're scamming.

Yes I agree absolutely. They are not what they seem. I would notify police too. It's a Scam and what's more the male 'friend' could be worse than the woman.

I'd be locking the front gate and putting up a security camera.

Have a talk to your Dad and tell him YOU don't want strange people in YOUR yard. If he is silly enough to keep handing over money, can you only give him small notes, and keep hold of his ATM card?

It is worrying that there is an internal door into your house, I'd be locking it from your side when you aren't there.

Get your hubby to go out there with the dogs and tell them to clear off, it will only get worse if you let them come and go.

Why don't you wait for them to turn up and have a local police officer there? They're scamming.

yes, yes they are, and they multiple :) I was going to ring the police tomorrow and ask for advice (today being ANZAC I thought they may be busy) but Dad won't say 'no" to them and with 2 small boys at home I don't want to put the people off side and have a mob turn up (it could be rather messy).

Unfortunatly I don't think there is any getting through to dad so I'd rather head them off before they reach him, the dog barking would help me do that. He (dad) sits with them out the front, then the smoking starts, the swearing and stories of how sad their life is (which it maybe but still its not their $ and dad doesn't want to give more)

At 6 am we are not up so can't save him as such, if the dog barks we can get up and sticky beak (making up a story like i did today, where dad and i went out so they had to leave, while the hubby and kids stayed home so the house was occupied) Sounds bad, but it started as 1 lady he felt sorry for and helped, then the lady and her friend turned up to help dad to the bank and then the ladies sister turned up looking for the original lady :S (since the original lady and dad are such good friends). I don't really know that it is a police matter as such (dad being the way he is) but I will ring them tomorrow

My suggestion is get up!

Lock the gate and do not give your father a key. That way if they get in, they're trespassing. Don't involve the dog/s, do it yourself.

I dont know if the police will become involved (great if they did), but I would definately be stepping up to the plate myself

- Get up at 5am - unless you both work shift work and dont get to bed till 1am (and even then you can get up :) ), just set an alarm.

- Put something on the gate - cans, crowing rooster, whatever

- go and sit in his granny flat and be the one to answer the door

If you dont want to make a scene (as in - go away you annoying person), get details of local support agencies (Vinnies, Salvos, council etc) and present it to them - give them a solution.

Another way is to be there, and be very, very, very concerned - that you want to help them but use the parable of 'teach a man to fish rather than give him a fish' - ie : offer to take them to the local library and help them check seek.com , offer to go with them to the local centrelink office, offer to go to the police station with them because you are concerned for their welfare if they are being forced to go door to door etc, etc

I doubt there is much you can do with your Dad - some people are very trusting and just either dont realise that some people are not genuine, or they dont know how to handle the situation etc

You need to be there to give him some support - you cant tell him what to do (unless he isnt capable of handling his affairs), but they need to know they are dealing with more than one elderly man

Hi, I don't want to frighten you but my Dad's cousin who was in a similar situation was murdered... He tried to help out a young woman who was a drug addict, she got her friends involved when it was clear he was an easy touch, and when he ran out of money, they turned violent... Please go to the police before it escalates.

Well I rang the police today and the first step I have to ask them to leave, to leave the yard and to leave dad alone and not bother him again. Fun, we'll see how it goes, we've shut the gate and popped 'a German shepherd lives here' sign on it so we'll go from there. Once I've talked to them if they don't listen or it get nasty well then we may be able to do something else (the policeman wasn't quite sure what), I've also got to try and get it through Dad's head he needs to stop giving them change (it started of as $3, then $5 then $50) or even just sitting and talking with them when they turn up. The policeman pointed out Dad was rather silly to do it in the first place (had to laugh at that ! I mean really ?)

It is Dad's money, he gets old and lonely so has a tendency to strike up conversations with random strangers and give $ out all over the place. Most of the time its not too bad or too much its just now they know where we live. Gotta love Dad :) They haven't come back today so, so far so good. I get up early most days during the week due to work (alarm goes off at 6 but then its doing the animals/shower/coffee etc) but being a public hol was taking advantage of the chance to sleep in. Have been kicking the dogs out the front morning and afternoon so that may help too, they have beds and the carport so its not horrid.

I'm just worried if I put them off side, they may do something to us/house/car etc or worse yet Dad as he walks/bike rides around the place and bumps into them. Don't get me wrong they haven't been threating in any way but 'offering to walk him to the bank' rings alarm bells with me. Life's never dull here.

oh and apparently I lied, she was her today we just didn't hear her (now see my problem is she's either seriously quiet or dad is getting confused). He reckons she came this afternoon and they sat out the front but I didn't hear our gate or them talking and I was sitting by the open front window on the computer. I've told the hubby we have to get one of those movement alarm things(like the shops).

Edited by 01kismet

I think this is more than a dog related issue- a barking dog will deter some people, but not those who are determined. Even if your dog barks, these people know by now the dog won't do anything else. At best, the dog is only good for barking when you are home, nothing to stop them when you're at work.

Take a nice photo of your dad's friends for the police, they could already be known. If they are up to no good, they won't like a photo being taken at all.

Second, you are already feeling threatened as you say you have no idea if these people will retaliate, is there something you haven't mentioned to the Police?

You can take the next bit or leave it, it's up to you of course, and I don't know your dad, just whaht you have said yourself, and I'm not trying to scare you:

You seem to be saying you are worried that Dad's judgement may not be up to where it should be. It seems this is ringing an alarm bell for you. Have you talked about this concern with your dad and his GP?

What I would worry about if it were my Dad or Uncle etc is if these scammers are taking Dad down to the bank, then they have crossed a line, one that most people would reaonably see. Would your Dad have been able to see this previously? If he can't see this and especially if as a younger man he wouldn't have fallen for this, at least have a chat with his GP.

If it was me and I was feeling physically threatened or emotionally harassed Id be looking at getting a restraining order...that way if they come within 100 meters (or 200?? I forget) of your property they will be arrested. Its a bit of a process but well worth the effort. You should start building up a rapport with the police, and making a log of their visits and how much money they are taking, its easier to get it through the courts if you have a long list of documented incidences.

Alternatively make sure you're in a creaky rocking chair with shotgun on the porch when they come calling :) just kidding...probably not a wise decision. Nor would I be setting the dog on them. Anything could happen and you could be risking your dogs life or beautiful temperament.

You could buy a sensor that starts a recording of a barking dog..

Not too difficult to find.. ( $2.00 shops or ebay) Your dog may hear the barking and join in...

I have a sensor that was a toy security guard figurine.. It says things like "Back off buddy" "You're not wanted here" ... My dogs hear it and go crazy.. No one could get in the gate without me knowing..

There are also sensor lights and alarms that you could try..

Not a good situation whichever way you look at it..

There are also security bracelet/buttons that can be set to call your phone when triggered. Lots of seniors who live alone have them...

Try chatting with some of the groups that do home nursing etc.. They could tell you where to find them..

Good luck & God bless your dad.. He must be a lovely innocent man..

I have not read all responses ***blush***

Here is what I'd do (had done) to make my lazy bunch sound alert:

Practice by someone coming into the yard and getting the dog a bit excited. We usually ask "Who's this?" in a rather concerned tone. The dog will pick up your question and bark.

If she happens to do it on her own initiative... reward, reward, reward like there is no tomorrow.

Good luck

Edited by Kajtek