Frozen Bones

I am not opposed to feeding raw bones but would never feed cooked bones.

I have about 20 chicken necks and 10 smallish brisket bones sitting in the freezer but I often forget to defrost one in the morning and I'm unsure about microwaving them... so how do people serve bones that have been frozen?

I worry that if it is microwaved to defrost it, it may make the bones brittle.

Thanks in advance.

If I forget to thaw out in the fridge, I just run some warm water over it to take any frost off the outside and serve frozen. Takes her about 30 seconds longer to eat a frozen bone.

We get our chicken necks in bulk and bag them up in bunches to last a couple of days, we defrost in the fridge. If we forget then the chicken necks get put in tepid water (in a bag) to defrost or mostly defrost and then given to the dogs

Bigger bones we will give them frozen

I feed them frozen too ,

Rogue loves them and they last a little longer :-)

I feed him the necks frozen as well, Rogue loves these also they don't take long to defrost anyway, I think half way through eating them they are soft :-)

Edited by mumof4girls

I feed them frozen :)

Same in this house-they go in the freezer on shopping day and get fed to the dogs straight from the freezer..

I will even give them their dinner frozen in summer time when it is hot weather..

Guest donatella

I feed my little girl frozen chicken necks. she's pretty good at letting it thaw a bit if she's not interested but most of the time she enjoys the frosty treat :eat:

I have to keep mine frozen. Kirah gets chicken wings because she's smaller and Zeus has turkey wings. By feeding frozen they both finish eating them at the same time. Unfrozen, Zeus takes three bites and it's gone. :eek:

Are frozen chicken/turkey wings just as beneficial for teeth cleaning as non-frozen?

Another one for frozen here. I like how it takes her longer to eat it that way!

With our family dog (now 11) she's had a frozen bone every single night of her life. She's probably got the best teeth of any 11 year old lab I know!

OH defrosts in microwave, i feed frozen.

Doesn't/couldn't that have a cooking effect on the bone, to some degree? Especially as the microwave tends to heat from the inside out ???

Guest RosieFT

i defrost in the microwave but never to the point that the whole wing/drumstick is defrosted. Our microwave has a chicken pieces defrost button where you can put in weight. It never even gets to cooking point, not even on the points of wings so am certain the bones are fine.

I buy in bulk and put in small sandwich bags (not ziplock, the cheapies) at the amount/size i want. Each night I pull one out, take it out of bag, into bowl, into microwave, 6mins later.. out to dog. Too easy. When it is around dinner time and she hears the microwave *ping*, she is ready and waiting :-)