Found Pup

A friend of ours found a pup in a church carpark 2 nights a go which followed him home, she is around the 8 week mark and is a cross breed which may have staffy or pitbul in her.

She was taken to the vet this morning, no micro chip or registration, she has a heart murmur, blood condition (not specific which one) and mange.

The vet was going to put her down on the spot but he said no, he wanted to get further testing and try and improve the quality of life for the next 6 months to see how she progresses.... does anyone have any advise with looking after a pup like this?

post-42791-0-71202300-1338425541_thumb.jpg

post-42791-0-60213200-1338425588_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pup needs to go to the pound. By keeping her your friend is basically stealing her.

Well, the vet was going to put her down there and then.... and she is not registered or chipped.

I will suggest they call the pound and see what to do about it, she is in pretty bad form by the sounds of it, do pounds look after the medical side of things in the mean time?

pup needs to go to the pound. By keeping her your friend is basically stealing her.

Well, the vet was going to put her down there and then.... and she is not registered or chipped.

I will suggest they call the pound and see what to do about it, she is in pretty bad form by the sounds of it, do pounds look after the medical side of things in the mean time?

the vet was in the wrong as well and if pup is only 8 weeks old might not have had time to be chipped. By the sounds of things the pup is just a stray but as pup does have some health problems it could make her look like she is unwanted. No way to know.

I don't know what happens in NSW pounds but does you friend really want a sick dog to look after that may cost her a small fortune and be sickly all her life? Sound harsh I know but.................

Let the proper authorities look after the pup, your friend can put her name down to adopt if pup is deemed fit for sale. And if she is PTS then that might well be the best option for her.

the vet was in the wrong as well and if pup is only 8 weeks old might not have had time to be chipped. By the sounds of things the pup is just a stray but as pup does have some health problems it could make her look like she is unwanted. No way to know.

I don't know what happens in NSW pounds but does you friend really want a sick dog to look after that may cost her a small fortune and be sickly all her life? Sound harsh I know but.................

Let the proper authorities look after the pup, your friend can put her name down to adopt if pup is deemed fit for sale. And if she is PTS then that might well be the best option for her.

I've never wanted to deal with pounds purely based on stories i hear.... he wants to give her 6 months and see if they can improve her quality of life before giving her up to authorities or a vet to pts.

I did suggest they put posters of a missing dog not a description or photo because any idiot who sees a pit mutt always wants it and i don’t want this little girl to go to bad hands, she has quite a bad case of mange and a few scars on her face... so not sure if she belongs to someone, if she does i don’t want to know what kind of person they are....

Pup looks much older than 8 weeks.

Your friend has in effect, stolen this dog.

Pup needs to go to the local pound, someone could have lost their dog and be looking.

Why on earth do people think they can keep an animal they find?

If your friend wants to keep the pup, do it legally. Hand into the pound and put his name on it if it is available for adoption after being kept for the mandatory time.

Or hand it in to the RSPCA if hrs worried about it's health.

Pup looks much older than 8 weeks.

Your friend has in effect, stolen this dog.

Pup needs to go to the local pound, someone could have lost their dog and be looking.

Why on earth do people think they can keep an animal they find?

If your friend wants to keep the pup, do it legally. Hand into the pound and put his name on it if it is available for adoption after being kept for the mandatory time.

Or hand it in to the RSPCA if hrs worried about it's health.

Well, he wanted to keep it because the vet was getting ready to PTS this morning, lol I think he did the right thing considering the circumstances, he is currently getting the dog checked out properly blood tests and scans then will go further in terms of the pound, i think its a little disheartning to take a pup to the vet wanting to help it then being told they will put it down there and then.....its previous owners clearly didnt know how to look after her properly.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Guest Arcane

Please have the puppy go through the pound in the district it was found. Some one might be looking for it. Don't be too quick to judge the owner by the condition of the dog. maybe, just maybe, it was only adopted the day or so before your friend found it and the new owners were just beginning to get it back to wellness etc...so many scenarios, not just 'oh it's not healthy it must come from a bad home'. yeah, that scenario is likely, but not certain.

Anyway, if it goes through the pound & is deemed fit for adoption, they can adopt it and go on loving it as their own, because then it legally will be theirs.

Is this the law everywhere? or only in certain parts of Australia? i would think the vet would have done that/opted to do that instead of getting a needle ready?

I will talk to them and tell them to do that, they have never done this before so i guess they are just worried she will go to a bad home more than anything, and if the owner does come to claim it what if they are what we assume? how do you then save the poor thing... any way thank you everyone for your input, I will let them know the correct thing to do is take her to the pound and ensure then she will be looked after and not destroyed.

Guest Arcane

Why do the people who found the dog think they have the right to have tests done on the dog. The vet should have said yes i'll do the tests once THE OWNER has consented ? IT IS NOT THEIR PROPERTY.

I'm rather astounded that a vet would want to put to sleep a stray pup.... did they take the pup there to check for a microchip or to get the pups health tested?

Again, they had no right to get anything done to the pup, it would be different if it had been really sick or injured, but if I had lost a pup (or perhaps this pup has just been bought and the new owners were trying to get it well) and found out someone just took my pup and decided to keep her/him, and had blood tests done, I'd be furious.

The pup IS NOT LEGALLY THEIRS.

It is like finding a bike on the footpath, do you think it's okay to take it home. A wallet? A car with the keys in it?

All the same scenario.

Print off these responses to show your friend and hopefully he will do the right thing.

Actually, just say he gets to adopt the pup after the pup has done it's time in the pound, BUT it escapes the next day and someone else finds it, assumes it's been

neglected and keeps the pup.

How would he feel?

...its previous owners clearly didnt know how to look after her properly.

I can't let this go unanswered. You do not know anything about the previous owners. I've had a dog with mange. Did you know it can be caused by stress? Did you know one type can be caught by a dog just by exploring wombat holes? Not that that is likely with this pup I grant you. The pup has a blood illness, according to vet, it might have been treated but somethings take time and in that time pup can look much worse. Pup could have been lost for a couple of days, combine that with all ready being ill and yes it won't look too good. Do Not assume.

I'll be seeing them tonight, so I will talk to them about it.... they will be a little hesitant though..just because they dont want her to be put to sleep and have had a professional attempt to do that already.

It is not their call, it is not their dog.

Is this the law everywhere? or only in certain parts of Australia? i would think the vet would have done that/opted to do that instead of getting a needle ready?

I will talk to them and tell them to do that, they have never done this before so i guess they are just worried she will go to a bad home more than anything, and if the owner does come to claim it what if they are what we assume? how do you then save the poor thing... any way thank you everyone for your input, I will let them know the correct thing to do is take her to the pound and ensure then she will be looked after and not destroyed.

It is the law everywhere. Some pounds do let you look after a stray in your house though. Your friend needs to ring the pound, report a stray and ask if she can look after it during the lock up period.

What the vet wanted to do is also against the law - he can't kill a dog that hasn't gone through the pound system or if the owner hasn't consented.

Rebanne is correct - lots of lost dogs look like they have no one to love them, that is what living in the rough does to them. The owner might have been treating the blood condition, but the dog got lost and so hasn't had the treatment.

If someone found Nahla and thought "she looks like a pitty. The pound will kill her so we'll keep her" I doubt very much that you'd be happy with that.

:(

pup does look older than 8 weeks.

pup may have escaped and been wandering for a week or so ....

pup is NOT THEIRS to keep .

..and what are they going to do after the 6 mths?

..and I would be querying the vet's response ... as it is not legally their dog , and, AFAIK he can not PTS a dog without trying to obtain owner permission

They are not "keeping" the pup, they are making sure she has the correct care until someone says something positive about her future if they hand her over.

They did the correct thing by taking her to the vet but did not like the outcome of that, so yes I am trying to relay the proper procedure to go through and let them know she will be ok if she goes to the pound... people who have not had experience with the pound would not have a very good feeling about them, I know i dont... the boys would be over the moon if she had an owner come forward who knew about all the conditions and cared for her properly because they have no plans to bring a puppy home but if it means keeping her well then thats what they are pepared to do.

Hopefully they do take her to the pound and she is cared for properly.

Even if you call the pound and tell them you have found the pup but it is sick and you would prefer to keep it with you until an owner comes forward - take a pic to the pound, so they can at least have it on their register...

Your friend has a kind heart but they are not doing the right thing by the pup - I would be devastated if it was my pup and I couldn't find it because someone just decided to keep it...

The little one is only 8 weeks (it looks older to me, more like 3 months but that is not the issue) and has medical issues - perhaps the its owner is working on these things and the pup is undergoing treatment (but won't be getting it now, as it is not at home)..

Get your friend to contact the pound with a pic in the very least, so if the pups owners are looking for it, they can find it... If no one comes forward, your friend can then buy the pup, get it microchipped in his name and it will all be above board...

Better to be safe and legal with these things.