Wives Tales

angelsun

Many years ago a friend of my family had a pure bred Cocker Spaniel bitch. The unthinkable happened and she had a cross breed litter. I remember clearly the friend telling my parents that the bitch had to have 2 litters by a purebred Cocker sire before the puppies could be pure again. I believed that for ages until I grew up a bit lol.

Edited by pebbles

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago a friend of my family had a pure bred Cocker Spaniel bitch. The unthinkable happened and she had a cross breed litter. I remember clearly the friend telling my parents that the bitch had to have 2 litters by a purebred Cocker sire before the puppies could be pure again. I believed that for ages until I grew up a bit lol.

HOW many times have I heard that...and still hear that....amazing how some beleive a mutt litter will 'contaminate' a bitch...many beleive that the bitch will NEVER produce a pure litter after a mongrel mating.

A great research article, giving a good review of the scientific literature.

Glyphosate (Roundup in its patented form, but now that the patent has expired, sold under many names) is the most widely used agricultural chemical (excluding fertilizers).

It's original maker, Monsanto, is widely hated (with reason) by the anti-GMO community and parts of the development community

The stuff is a worry. A few studies showing it causes birth defects when added to drinking water, or when frog eggs are left to develop in water containing small amounts of glyphosate. Several studies showing it does not break down in the environment as rapidly as Monsanto claims.

But not one of those studies mentions cleft palates.

I raise winegrapes. Most vintners use glyphosate to control weeds under the grape rows. I don't like using the stuff, and have spent quite a bit of time looking for better alternatives. Hand weeding is too laborious. Alternative chemicals have worse problems than glyphosate, and cost more. You do hear of many health consequences from use of Roundup in places like Argentina, where it has been massively used in growing genetically altered, Roundup-ready soy. I have heard no credible reports of birth defects, in children or puppies or anything else, in instances where glyphosate has been used to control weeds in vineyards or home gardens.

Here's one my OH loves to tell people - A cross bred dog will cross its front legs when it's laying down, but a pure bred dog will lie with it's legs out straight! Lol

:laugh: I've owned many a "Purebred" mutt then!!!

Only staffordshires will lie down with back legs sticking out.

(someone out to tell my poms they are the wrong breed)

My Cavaliers do that but I've never seen a GSD do it!

Someone better tell my bitch with 0:0 hips, she does it as well.

Then there is the 'they have bad hips' if they can do it, then the other side 'they have good hips if' they can do it.

Someone better tell my bitch with 0:0 hips, she does it as well.

Then there is the 'they have bad hips' if they can do it, then the other side 'they have good hips if' they can do it.

yeah, im often caught up in the they got good hips if they can..

another one is that if the bitch is heavier on one side, she will have more boys than girls.....

(obv when shes in whelp)

Our Bekki does it all the time and no, she doesn't have 0/0 hips, but she's got good scores. Our GSD babies also do it regularly.

On the subject of hips and flexibility!! A breeder friend of mine, often told me that she watches her bitch puppies very closely at about 6 weeks onward when they pee. If they almost touch their knees to the ground when they do it, they will have correct angulation in the rear. I'd never heard anyone else mention this, and in truth, her girls she kept all were superior for their breed in that department. I wonder if anyone else has heard this one?

My dogs ALL kick their back legs out behind them when laying down; they are all Australian Shepherds. Ranging from 8months to 4.5 years. Best scored hips in my house is 0:1.

Edited as posted inside LizT's quote tags.

Edited by Parkeyre

• 2 weeks later...

HOW many times have I heard that...and still hear that....amazing how some beleive a mutt litter will 'contaminate' a bitch...many beleive that the bitch will NEVER produce a pure litter after a mongrel mating.

I know someone who desexed a bitch they had planned to breed from becasue she got mated by a mutt.

Why? becasue she would never be able to have purebred litters.

I said to them so if I have a baby to a person with dark skin, then have a baby to someone with pale skin you think the second baby will also have dark skin genes? They replied no as the child has a different father so they will have the genes for dark and light skin respectively.

I said well the same for your bitch, she has puppies to one father, then when mated the next time she has puppies from that father. The sperm live for a short period of time there is no way the sperm from the first litter would be there, or viable 6 to 12 months down the track.

Nope would not believe me, apparently I was a stupid and a young - then, was a few years ago- know it all who had no idea! Right!