"pedi Paws" Nail Grinder

jerojath

So after loosing my old Dremel a while back, I have been contemplating getting another, for no other reason than for doing the dogs nails.

However, as my number of dogs has greatly reduced in recent times, I don't know that I can justify $160-odd on a new Dremel which will be used very sparingly!

So I've seen the "Pedi Paws" Grinders.... obviously based (loosely) on the principals of the Dremel, and was wondering if they are any good? They are certainly cheaper!

I realize they wouldn't be a heavy-duty item, but has anyone used a Pedi Paws on a large dog?

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on these?

TIA! :)

I couldn't justify the price of a dremel either so I bought a generic version one at Bunnings for about $40. I had looked at pedi paws but reviews I found indicate it was not very powerful.

I couldn't justify the price of a dremel either so I bought a generic version one at Bunnings for about $40. I had looked at pedi paws but reviews I found indicate it was not very powerful.

Oh ok.... could you possibly give me details of what you did buy? Brand? Attachment needed? :)

In a word....NO!!

My mother bought one when they first came out (against my advice). It actually stopped when she put the chihuahua X nails on it.

I have an Ozito brand grinder which is fabulous. Under $30 from Mitre 10.

However, as my number of dogs has greatly reduced in recent times, I don't know that I can justify $160-odd on a new Dremel which will be used very sparingly!

Wat.

I have a genuine Dremel and it set me back $25 from mytoolstore.com.au D:

There are places that sell them for $160?!

edit: They don't seem to have it in stock anymore, but eBay has alright substitutes: www.ebay.com.au/itm/170759588409

Just buy a golf club cleaning Dremel and change the head? It's worked for other DOLers as far as I know.

Edited by Dju

So I looked around and ended up with an Ozito.

3 Year Replacement Warranty and under $40.

It came with an extensive accessories kit (most of which I'll never use),

Gave it a run today and was very impressed.

I think it is probably louder than the Dremel, but I only had it on #3 Speed Setting so it isn't a problem.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quick question on this please.

I'm wanting to buy one of these from bunnings, which file attactment would I use for my Border's?

OH also was a bit concerned that you could get it caught in the paw hair? Although I always keep their feet trimmed & do this before I do their nails.

Thanks in advance :)

Yes we got a Pedi-paws and with the whippet nails the grinder stops when there is too much pressure, but takes FAR too long to trim enough off. So much so the dogs get very annoyed with it stopping and starting! So I've resorted back to clipping the nails... but might give the dremel a crack!

BC Crazy, you use the sanding drum with the sanding bands on it. I have never had an issue with the hair getting caught and I usually trim hair after doing nails, I just make sure the way I hold it that most of the hair is out of the way.

You can always push their nails through an old stocking to hold the hair back before you dremel.

This. Poke the nail through an old stocking or even the corner of a plastic bag. Having had American Cockers since 1986, I can tell you of some pretty close shaves and rather interesting experiences with the dremel for long ear furnishings and foot hair until I got wise! :laugh:

BC Crazy, you use the sanding drum with the sanding bands on it. I have never had an issue with the hair getting caught and I usually trim hair after doing nails, I just make sure the way I hold it that most of the hair is out of the way.

Actually I always use the grinding stone/wheel.

The sanding bands wear out way to fast. The grinder is faster and will virtually last forever.