A Lil Info On Mini Schnauzers

Angeluca

For years Partner has been sayin he wants a dog of his own. recently saw a mini schnauzer on T.V and said that is the one he wants the 'grandpa dog' :rofl:

But on a serious note our current situation is we have 3 goldens, 3 cats and a horse. We also have 2 kids 7 and 8 and one due in oct. We live on 10 acres and are renovation the house.

Partner grew up with shih tzus and gsds mainly his gran bred and shown the shih tzus. He also had a Rottie or two and a cattle dog x. So he isn't dog ignorant. And I have had gsds, rotties , dobes ,a border,a corgi and a chi plus various crosses. I also recently got my prefix in the hopes of breeding goldens in the future.

Neither has ever had a terrier but honestly don't see that as a problem. We are thinking in a couple of years time maybe 2-4. Partner has always wanted a mate for him to hang out with (his current mate is a 12mth old ginger cat) while he pods around the paddock and he loves the goldies we have but it isn't what he wants. I was thinking the goldies are out in the dog pen at night and have an acre to run in during the day but partner's small dog would be inside dog. And since my partner works away 10 days home for 6 it has to be a dog I could enjoy inside all the time which when it comes to little dogs restricts breeds alot. We would be getting a pup suitable a young family and have areas which pup would be where kids can't and visa versa.

So a couple of questions/ info on the breed

1/ shedding how much do they shed

2/ are they a one owner sort of breed ( I would be doing most of the training whilst partner is away, I find the goldies listen better to me but love the smooches and get super excited when they see partners car drive in)

3/ recall with training ?

Any other info would be great i know alot depends on individual and training but basic breed traits and stuff?

Hmmmm I try to be very optimistic when it comes to my partners suggestions he has some way out there ones, I'm starting to think this one might actually be a good idea. I'm not a fan of jack russels but everything I've read so far including the links previously posted for me (thanks :thumbsup: ) suggests that this breed will fit in nicely Not too much dog nor thinks of it's self that way yet enough dog to cope with this busy house. Just curious on the shedding tho. It says brushing and clipping which don't bother me (goldies) but havn't seen anything on shedding?

First of there not a terrier .

They do not shed but must be clipped every 6/8 weeks or if shown hand stripped when the coat is blown.

Brushing a few times a week more so if ther is lots of crap on the ground as there legs & beard will collect all sorts of garden

They are highly intelligent & do very well at obedience/agility

They normally aren't a one person dog BUT the pitfalls of away workers & the others in the house being the primary care gicvers may mean the dog doesn't click like he thinks.

Being a companion breed they thrive on human company .

I only have just under a year's experience with minis, but here is my personal experience on them.

Smart, cheeky little things!

Can bark a bit when excited.

Don't shed, but require regular grooming.

They share their love around the family, and smooch up to other dogs and people to sleep.

Quite food orientated! Stomach rules everything (so therefore easy and eager to train).

Recall with our 1 year old so far is great. Without too many distractions, turns on a pinhead to recall back. We are working our way up with more distractions.

I wasn't a mini fan a year ago as I'm a Labrador girl, but I am a huge mini fan now!! thumbsup1.gif

First of there not a terrier .

They do not shed but must be clipped every 6/8 weeks or if shown hand stripped when the coat is blown.

Brushing a few times a week more so if ther is lots of crap on the ground as there legs & beard will collect all sorts of garden

They are highly intelligent & do very well at obedience/agility

They normally aren't a one person dog BUT the pitfalls of away workers & the others in the house being the primary care gicvers may mean the dog doesn't click like he thinks.

Being a companion breed they thrive on human company .

Thanks heaps the clipping and trimming wouldn't bother me and we understand with the away workers but my partner is extremely animal affectionate (just don't tell him I mentioned that) that every animal we have never leave his side when he is home. It's actually annoying a lil. But it is a risk we take bringing in any animal to this environment for that reason i think we'd avoid any breed like an Aussie shep and the breeder i know at my club says hers are very one person and they choose who.

A bit like this? laugh.gif

65786_10150610235938036_1352526818_n.jpg

:rofl: God this breed sounds like it would suit the mischief my partner gets up to.

Thanks this is great!!!

How is everyone's opinion/ experience with destruction? wooden funiture legs, cushions, socks?

Reticulation pipes in the backyard have copped it. Furniture, bedding, toys, socks, etc, not at all.

Everyone says the blacks are crazier.... I don't have anything to compare it to, but so far, she's living up to the crazy rep!! So if you want a mini, you have to go black! So much fun :D

Partner said he liked the black and silver cause of the bushy grey eye brows and beard because he his getting grey hairs now that he turned thirty :rofl:

but on a serious note i don't think he'd want a white one but the others would all be ok.

Edited by Angeluca

My mini schnauzer is only just a year old but love him to bits. He's a very friendly happy go-lucky little fellow. LOVES all my family and friends but will let me know if there's strangers around. He's a little bit of a barker, which we're working on but if you're on acreage I can't imagine that'd be a huge problem for you....

Shedding wise, I NEVER see fur on clothes, floors, carpets, even his bedding. They definately need a clip every 6-8 weeks though, that coat grows FAST, and I tend to give his legs and beard a brush each day to stop them matting and dragging grass and leaves inside :) He's an inside dog and the house doesn't have that doggy smell. My mum isn't an inside dog person, but having seen Paddy in my plae she admits she'd happily have one of these guys inside.

They're very smart and pretty trainable, just need to keep one step ahead of them as they do seem to get bored if the training is becoming too repetative...my guy would seem to switch off half way through the beginner obedience classes and turn into a clown! We've found the balance now with really short, interesting training sessions and he's coming along really nicely. They cope well with kids too. Busy little dogs, but I haven't found him to be REALLY destructive, in compparison to the terriers my family has owned in the past. I love them, and from the sounds of it, they'd suit you perfectly :)

Everyone says the blacks are crazier.... I don't have anything to compare it to, but so far, she's living up to the crazy rep!! So if you want a mini, you have to go black! So much fun :D

Partner said he liked the black and silver cause of the bushy grey eye brows and beard because he his getting grey hairs now that he turned thirty :rofl:

but on a serious note i don't think he'd want a white one but the others would all be ok.

How could you not fall in love with the "old man" charm of a black & silver :)

6991698391_96cfda6bf0_z.jpg

How could you not fall in love with the "old man" charm of a black & silver :)

I like the black and silver as well! My fave after the blacks - though that is based on photos, because I've never met a black and silver! My parents (who own the black) want another in the future but a pepper and salt - I keep trying to sway them to black and silver laugh.gif

As everyone has said, they do not shed but have a high maintenance coat. Require regular brushing and I clip mine every 5 weeks through summer and allow their coat to grow a little more during winter months. A very active, highly intelligent and trainable breed. They are clean house dogs, and are very much the clown with their funny antics. Only bark if they are allowed to and not trained - and they are usually a busy dog :D They adore their human family and are protective and good guard dogs.

post-4430-0-61267300-1339393646_thumb.jpg

Yeah they sound like the perfect dog for us in the future. They barking would only annoy me until trained no neighbors within ear shot and the grooming side of things i have to brush down the goldies although I don't clip them brushing is still required on occasion so whats one more dog. Like I said it will probably be 2-4 years down the tract as i Start uni next feb (from home) and due with our third in oct so the next 2 years will be very busy plus my male gold is 2 in sept and my youngest goldie girl is just 1 another 2 years at least would be perfect.

thanks for all your replies this is one i won't have to encourage my partner away from.

If you aren't keen on barkers, check the lines as some will be yappy no matter what.

aS OTHER Said, great family dogs, enjoy games and training. learn things quickly - the good and the bad things they get away with once or twice!

hard part is finding a groomer that knows how to groom them correctly.

minis are the smallest of 3 sizes of schnauzer, coming from general farm working dogs. Giants have been used as gundogs, guard dogs, police dogs, compete in various dog sports etc and their temperament is very similar to the mini.