Building A Kennel

Guest english.ivy

Just remember the bigger they are, the colder they are. Big kennels are good for multiple dogs but you don't necessarily do your dog a favour building a big open kennel.

But better than no kennel at all when they're outside.

Nice dog houses everyone. Those whisky barrels are pretty unique, 2 thumbs up! smile.gif

Definitely needs to be big and luxurious TCM, for OH's sake, for those times when they get sent to the 'doghouse'. laugh.gif

My dogs house is just a store bought igloo.

BAHAHAHA damn you figured it out!, awesome ideas and kennels guys! I love the barrels OH wanted thoes but i didnt know where to get them from.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

I have Carrington runs which I use for my house dogs in summer (they're inside in winter) when I go out. I have one of these for the Maremmas as they like to be able to see outside and not feel confined. It is pretty big, people always think it's a cubby. http://www.melwoodcedarsheds.com/homes-for-pets/mega-kennel. My Maremma out in the paddock has a smaller, cosier kennel but he doesn't use it. He will lie out in the pouring rain snuggled with the sheep.

post-3047-0-33956600-1339649906_thumb.jpg

post-3047-0-87736600-1339649884_thumb.jpg

This is my marine ply kennel made in 1989. The pink is the original undercoat which I never got around to painting over. Still going strong. :thumbsup: While the dividing fence is off centre it is evenly divided inside. The dividing fence is made out of the Bunnings compost bin pieces and has beem up around 5 years. Kennel and dividing fence are in a 3 by 4 meter yard

What about using a pallet as the floor/base for a larger dog house? If it doesn't need to be moved they sit up off the ground which would have to help keep it dry and insulated? I'm not good with building stuff though so feel free to ignore my suggestion if it is lame!

I don't have a pic but the other day I saw this amazing kennel on a front verandah.

The verandah fence had been partially removed and the kennel placed in the gap-window facing the street.

The kennel was a huge old cabinet style TV. The working had been removed and the screen left in. A great window for this bulldog to survey the world in absolute comfort.

Guest english.ivy

What about using a pallet as the floor/base for a larger dog house? If it doesn't need to be moved they sit up off the ground which would have to help keep it dry and insulated? I'm not good with building stuff though so feel free to ignore my suggestion if it is lame!

Ours is made out of pallets. On the floor, and three sides.

Thanks Wings and Kathy74.

Yes, my OH and I made it from scratch. What else would you like to know? :)

They go down the enclosed ramp to the dog run, then out into the yard from there. The steps at the side are just for me to get up there and fluff the bed, sweep it out.

Thanks Wings and Kathy74.

They go down the enclosed ramp to the dog run, then out into the yard from there. The steps at the side are just for me to get up there and fluff the bed, sweep it out.

Do you have a pic of inside?

What sort of mesh have you used on the front?

Is the ramp flat or stepped?

I think it is brilliant :D

We built this for Kyojin when we first got him, but he soon decided that he was an inside dog only so it was a bit useless really. Pity, we were very proud of ourselves. :laugh:

Very stylish!

When are you and the OH coming to build me one?

I have fantasies of a large completely raised dog run - too many snakes here to allow the dogs free access outside in the summer.

Edited by dwynwen

We built this for Kyojin when we first got him, but he soon decided that he was an inside dog only so it was a bit useless really. Pity, we were very proud of ourselves. :laugh:

Very stylish!

When are you and the OH coming to build me one?

I have fantasies of a large completely raised dog run - too many snakes here to allow the dogs free access outside in the summer.

That's my fear as well, we see a lot of red bellies out here so I'd rather run a ramp from our raised verandah to a raised converted cubby to give my future dogs more space when they are outside and unsupervised.