Neutering?

Hello, just wanted peoples opinions on whether I should neuter my just 2 year old Husky.

I honestly wasn't considering it at first, however I think it is in our best interest to neuter the dog.

I went to my local vet the other day and they offered/insisted that my dog should have Pre-anaesthetic blood testing and IV Fluid Therapy for an additional cost (Of course). They only said that was because my dog would be doing it at an older age than most people.

What are everyone's thoughts? Should I go along with the pre/post test?

Male or female.

We had a boy done at 8 months. He had a retained teste. Anyway he had none of what you mentioned and it ended up being quicker than they thought beccause the teste was just outside the scrotum.

However when we have girls done after we have decided not to breed with them, they do have extra fluids and painkillers but not necesarrily the blood tests. Depends on their age.

Think you will find very mix replies but personally if the dog has not been showing any signs of illness then don't worry about the blood work - don't vaccinate and desex at the same time either. BUT that said, peace of mind doing the blood work before any surgery will give you an idea on the general health of your dog.

I have desexed/spayed about 6 dogs from 18 months to about 8 years and never had blood work done on them - they all recovered very well without any complications.

eta: I would not consider 2yo to be a problem, 2 yo is still young - older to me would be 5+. Might be worth talking to another vet.

Edited by Andisa

It is up to you. A young and healthy dog - if it were me, I would have fluids only if a spey, nothing if it was just a normal castration ..which is basically only a skin incision ,and takes hardly any time .

Some pain post op helps the dog keep still and quiet for a little while ...

Guest english.ivy

I was offered the pre-op stuff with both my dogs, male and female, at around the age of 8 months. Never accepted the extra charges and both were fine.

Unless your dog is sick or past mature [meaning over 6ish], I wouldn't worry.

I did both... from what I have experienced IV fluids aid a much quicker recovery and my boys fluids did need to be bumped up during the surgery as his blood pressure dropped. Yes it is a short anesthetic but problems can occur.

I did pre-anesthetic bloods but only because I wanted a baseline as I planned to start him on medications for his skin and wanted to be sure there were no underlying kidney or liver issues. If he were a healthy dog I would feel confidant opting out of bloods but it really depends on what protocol the clinic uses for their anesthetics.

I would at least do fluids. Much better recovery.

I agree with Karly that the bloods can be a baseline for any future disease (so an investment). Odds are nothing will be found, but at the occasional dog does have something found so the vet is required to offer it as an option.

My vet offers and suggests pre-anaesthetic blood testing too - the only person I know who had it ended up being very thankful they did, as their dog had some strange.. blood thing. Not sure exactly what it was, but it was lucky they had the blood work done!

Yes, I guess I will be doing the pre-anaesthetic blood testing too, however since he is a male I probably wont get the IV drip, they do charge and extra $80 per blood test/IV.

Are there any downsides to desexing a dog? As in, are there any reasons to NOT neuter the dog?

Edited by HuskyFever

I had Harley done at 1 and a half and never worried about any of that extra stuff. From what I was told you can have it but they generally it isn't needed unless you dog is older or has other issues. They could be just trying to get some extra money out of you ;)

I personally can't think of any reason not to neuter.

No downside at all, there is very little surgery risk with a male.

Even show stud dogs should be neutered by about age 8 in my opinion and now that ANKC has enabled exhibition of neuters there really is no reason to keep show/breeding dogs and bitches entire after they have passed optimum breeding age (which will differ from individual to individual) and they should be done by late middle age I believe before they reach the high surgery risk of old age.

Please read this before making your decision: http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

I would have neutered if my boy's testicle did not drop (and stay dropped) by 1 year of age.

I did not have my boys done, but I did do blood work before exporting them just for a guide. 2 years is quite young and should still be able to cope without IV fluids. It all depends on your level of comfort. It's a simple operation for boys; recovery time for my friend's dog that lived with me when he got desexed was pretty good even without fluids. Same goes for my female kitten that was done at 6 months.

It is up to you. A young and healthy dog - if it were me, I would have fluids only if a spey, nothing if it was just a normal castration ..which is basically only a skin incision ,and takes hardly any time .

Some pain post op helps the dog keep still and quiet for a little while ...

Well, apart from the ball removal of course!!! Spoken like someone without :D

I had the lot done with Barkly...blood tests, IV fluids, post op pain relief...If the roles were reversed, I'd hope he'd do the same for me.

Well, apart from the ball removal of course!!! Spoken like someone without :D

apologies :p

I have ,however assisted at/seen many many performed , mostly without the 'extras' ..and have seen just how easy the op is on most ...as there is no intrusion into the abdominal cavity ...

Edited by persephone

I would get the test and fluids.

One of my border collies has a bad liver condition. Until it got really bad there really weren't any indications as to how sick she was but she would have had a lot of problems with the anesthetic and possibly would not have come out of it. A blood test would have shown there was a problem with her liver.

The question is also - what induction agent will they be using? Most people wouldn't ask, but if the vet is using Alfaxan or propofol then I wouldn't be as worried about blood testing. If the vet was using thiopentone in a mature dog (well apart from the fact I'd change vets...) I would certainly be doing the blood testing.

A healthy 2 yo dog should handle the operation fine.