Big Dogs And Injuries/ Health Problems

wantsapuppy

Hi ladies . So I've been. Looking through the breed section and I'm wondering are the big doggies more prone to health problems because of there size.

Or is that more a heavy set and big doggie problem not so much the likes of example a Dane that it big but fairly lean .

Edited by wantsapuppy

I dont think big heavy set dogs are prone to more health problems.

I believe health issues, exist in familial groups, but that is across all dog breeds.

Maybe you can be more specific?

The sheer size of some breeds means that they have longer (obviously) growth periods - it seems to me that nutrition during that period is crucial, and ensuring that pups are able to grow at a sensible rate. I suppose it could be said that they are thus prone to more health problems there.

Some giant breeds are prone to hip dysplasia and arthitis too, but that's by no means exclusively a giant breed thing. Many breeds have huge instances of HD, in particular.

Bigger breeds are more prone to developmental structure problems if you get the diet and exercise wrong becasue they are heavier at a younger age and grow slower than other breeds but once grown correctly they would be less prone to injury than many smaller and lighter dogs.

Border Collies, Whippets and other fast moving breeds are very prone to injury simply because they do move so fast. Our very experienced chiro sees more BCs than any other breed, besides racing Greyhounds, due to their active nature and lack of self preservation. Tiny Toy breeds with fine bone like Iggies are also easily prone to breaking those fine bones if dropped, etc.

Also, do a study of life expectancy. There are several studies around . . . all flawed . . . but they pretty much agree that the giant breeds have relatively short lives. Some estimates are as low as five or six years for some giant breeds. Moreovert vet costs are higher for procedures on large breeds. A Dane with a torn cruciate ligament is going to be a significant bill . . . and health insurance costs will be higher.

I have an Aussie and an Anatolian and the Aussie is the one who has shown to be more likely to pull muscles/ end up limping etc because of her speed.

I think it depends on the breed, individual dog and the breeder rather than simply the size. I've seen more small dogs with luxating patellas than giant dogs with HD, that's just my experience though.

Edited by Aussie3

As the others have said diet and the way they are raised in that crucial first year makes a huge difference in your large breeds health.

For example, don't let your puppy rough house with older dogs of the same size. They might look like a good match but your large puppy is very fragile at this stage. No jumping especially in or out of the car, be careful on tile floors or any slippery service. Raise their feed and water bowls so they don't have to bend down so far.

Don't go on huge walks, a good rule of thumb is if your puppy is ten weeks old no more then ten minutes, 15 weeks old 15 minutes and so on.

All your flea and worming treatment is far more expensive and health insurance is a must unless you have a huge income. Depending on breed it might also drool. :eek:

Having said all that, a giant breed is just the best :thumbsup:

I have a giant breed and the 3 main health issues apart from growth issues are Osteosarcoma, cardiomyopathy and bloat. These 3 main killers can be present in all giant breeds but that isn't to say that all dogs will get one of these, just that they are more prone to them. Breeders (I hope) do their best to try and breed away from these issues but sometimes they are just "there".

I have a giant breed and the 3 main health issues apart from growth issues are Osteosarcoma, cardiomyopathy and bloat. These 3 main killers can be present in all giant breeds but that isn't to say that all dogs will get one of these, just that they are more prone to them. Breeders (I hope) do their best to try and breed away from these issues but sometimes they are just "there".

Which breed Hounder?

Lilli I have Deerhounds. I know I did generalise my comment but in doing research over the years on my breed, I keep reading that all giant breeds can be prone to these issues. Funnily enough I don't think of Deerhounds as being a giant breed, more an XL :) but that is what they come under.

Totally not a giant but a niggling factor with my Stevie is that she's bigger than I can carry. I could get her into the car at home (I think, but neighbours would help). If we go to a local park with bush walks where we're totally alone and there are snakes, I would not be able to get her to a vet without help. There are no ambulances or emergency numbers for dogs.

Totally not a giant but a niggling factor with my Stevie is that she's bigger than I can carry. I could get her into the car at home (I think, but neighbours would help). If we go to a local park with bush walks where we're totally alone and there are snakes, I would not be able to get her to a vet without help. There are no ambulances or emergency numbers for dogs.

Same here with my labs I can't carry them