Best Dog Kibble

Hi there I'm after some information for picking some good quality kibble for my Papillons.

The youngest (1 year) is an allergy dog, allergic to fleas (lost fur when he had them and he has abit of dry skin on the side of his body.) Back leg area, I am using revolution spot on control for him which has helped his fur grow back. I have seen a vet but she was useless, so I was thinking if I can feed him a good kibble along with a mix of chicken necks, Marrow bones, diced steak and occasionally I feed them super coat can food, can I help his dry skin? My other pap is almost 5 now and she has just lost all her fur and is slowly growing her winter coat, she was looking quite bald but her short thick fur is coming through now. Problem is she hasn't had much of a papillon coat before, last year it was long and nice but it could just be that was how her parents were.

So after all this what advice could you give me?

Many thanks

I feed them raw at night time but I like giving them some dry for some extra vitamins and I leave them some dry for them during the day when I'm working

Why not give them bones during the day and if your looking to cover any missing vitamins just buy one of the many dog multi vitamins on the market. At least then you wont be feeding any unnecessary filler to your dog, and the bones will clean their teeth and give them some environmental enrichment.

Edited by Inevitablue

have a look at big dog barf or country barf patties they should have everything in there for your dog its a complete natural raw food. I'm starting my whippet and my chihuahua on the big dog barf patties, Yes thats right people the horrible gas returned after a week being feed earthborn holistic grain free kibble. So I just bit the bullet and said nope raw diet it is for Missy and said hell I put Rascal on raw too. It will cost to much to have the 2 goldens on raw so they will get raw minced meat in the morning,kibble at night.

Getting the right food for your dog can be trial and error. Try raw if you want, try barf patties or a kibble. Don't take people's choices as gospel truth until you've tried them. Raw may be a bad choice, it may be good. Some dogs do very well on kibble. The best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on.

Edited by Sheridan

have a look at big dog barf or country barf patties they should have everything in there for your dog its a complete natural raw food. I'm starting my whippet and my chihuahua on the big dog barf patties, Yes thats right people the horrible gas returned after a week being feed earthborn holistic grain free kibble. So I just bit the bullet and said nope raw diet it is for Missy and said hell I put Rascal on raw too. It will cost to much to have the 2 goldens on raw so they will get raw minced meat in the morning,kibble at night.

So much for sticking to the kibble for six weeks.

Honestly, this dog has had so many changes of diet and so many different foods, you'd have no idea what was causing the problem. What happened to the dog roll you were feeding? Are you still feeding that awful packet pet mince?

Getting the right food for your dog can be trial and error. Try raw if you want, try barf patties or a kibble. Don't take people's choices as gospel truth until you've tried them. Raw may be a bad choice, it may be good. Some dogs do very well on kibble. The best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on.

I agree with you there sheridan, Missy was on raw for 2 and half weeks before putting her on earthborn holistic grain free, When she was feed raw she seemed happier,her scratching basicly stop, her horrible farts where no longer there,her poos were smaller and they didn't smell. SO i believe Missy my whippet will do better on raw then on kibble.With Rascal my white/brown chihuahua his coat colour seems brighter,his poos are smaller and not smelly altho he still eats his poos. Shelley my golden retriever seems better on kibble even if feed 1.5% of raw to what she should weigh she still managed to gain weight, Where with kibble she seems to maintain her weight better.

I agree with you there sheridan, Missy was on raw for 2 and half weeks before putting her on earthborn holistic grain free, When she was feed raw she seemed happier,her scratching basicly stop, her horrible farts where no longer there,her poos were smaller and they didn't smell. SO i believe Missy my whippet will do better on raw then on kibble.With Rascal my white/brown chihuahua his coat colour seems brighter,his poos are smaller and not smelly altho he still eats his poos. Shelley my golden retriever seems better on kibble even if feed 1.5% of raw to what she should weigh she still managed to gain weight, Where with kibble she seems to maintain her weight better.

:shrug: is anyone else as confused as me ?????? I think I need a drink.

Welcome to my world :cheers:

Welcome to my world :cheers:

Yep - :confused:

Edited by Andisa

A stiff one Sheena!! :rofl:

For the OP, it can be confusing getting the right mix of food for your dogs especially if you have a dog/dogs with issues skin or otherwise.

I feed mine Black Hawk and they are all good on it, it is a premium kibble without the premium price tag. What ever you feed, give it a good chance to do its job unless of course there is a noticeable downward turn in your dogs health and allergy issues.

In general terms I don't think one two or even three weeks is enough time for a dog to get used to a new food.

Edited by tlc

Thankyou very much, yes I do realise raw is best for dogs, its what they have eaten in the wild before we domesticated them etc, but I posted this for peoples opinions and advice. I know some dogs these days need special vitamins and I was adding some fish oil in my dogs meat when I was serving but I was hoping you could just buy a dry food with the extras in it.

I give them marrow bones once a week to clean their teeth, chicken necks sometimes gives Cindy the runs and domino sometimes swallows his necks whole. I was hoping for some good reviews on advance, purina or eukaburna (something like that)

Guest english.ivy

some good reviews on advance, purina or eukaburna (something like that)

Honestly for the cost/quality of those foods, you're better off looking at Taste Of The Wild, Earth-Born and Black Hawk. All have a variety of meats and seafood. And are cheaper with better nutrition. Holistic Select is also really good.

Take a look at Big Dog Pet Foods. They are a great way to feed raw but still add a dry food that agrees if you want.

My dogs don't have allergies but I feed Black Hawk/Earth-Born and Big Dog, plus odd veges etc.

Take time to read what is in the foods and look back on what hasn't agreed with your dogs in the past. When looking for a dry food, focus on the first six ingredients.

Thankyou very much, yes I do realise raw is best for dogs, its what they have eaten in the wild before we domesticated them etc, but I posted this for peoples opinions and advice. I know some dogs these days need special vitamins and I was adding some fish oil in my dogs meat when I was serving but I was hoping you could just buy a dry food with the extras in it.

I give them marrow bones once a week to clean their teeth, chicken necks sometimes gives Cindy the runs and domino sometimes swallows his necks whole. I was hoping for some good reviews on advance, purina or eukaburna (something like that)

Leaving MumtoShelley's latest feeding fad aside, I would suggest you try a kibble for sensitive skin/allergy dogs.

Here's a selection of ones you might consider

Royal Canin or ProPlan would be my suggestions.

Hi there I'm after some information for picking some good quality kibble for my Papillons.

The youngest (1 year) is an allergy dog, allergic to fleas (lost fur when he had them and he has abit of dry skin on the side of his body.) Back leg area, I am using revolution spot on control for him which has helped his fur grow back. I have seen a vet but she was useless, so I was thinking if I can feed him a good kibble along with a mix of chicken necks, Marrow bones, diced steak and occasionally I feed them super coat can food, can I help his dry skin? My other pap is almost 5 now and she has just lost all her fur and is slowly growing her winter coat, she was looking quite bald but her short thick fur is coming through now. Problem is she hasn't had much of a papillon coat before, last year it was long and nice but it could just be that was how her parents were.

So after all this what advice could you give me?

Many thanks

Supercoat Sensitive dry food is pretty good. A more expensive food would be ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach.

The 'best' dog kibble is one that your dogs do well on. Dog kibble causes some rather intense discussions on here and everyone has a different opinion.