Good Guard/family Dog Breeds

booge

A GSD has far more exercise requirements than this poster is after.

I would probably chat with some Bull mastiff breeders to find out more, but they certainly look imposing so would fit the bill in that regard.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as I am concerned, there are only two breeds worthy of genuine intimidation towards potential offenders/intruders which is primarily the GSD and Rottweiler and also probably a Belgian Malinois and Dobermann fits the bill too. Crooks know the trainability levels in guarding/protection that can be attained with these breeds which they fear and they never know what they could be trained to achieve, even a seemingly quite and reserved GSD or Rotty, the crooks can never be sure at what point these breeds may spring into action. Same goes for coming face to face with an intruder, threatening to release a GSD or Rotty to defend has a greater impact on the offender IMHO that the dog may be attack trained than threatening to release a breed that isn't used in those roles.

Crooks know what breeds professionals use in guarding/security which provides an added bluff factor, but unless a Mastiff or breeds of that nature are showing strong aggression and gnashing teeth, the crooks know that the dog is no real threat where a GSD or Rotty retains the mystique, will it attack on command, will it attack if they jump the fence or approach the house etc.........I just think if guarding is a role required of a dog, use a breed well known and easily identified as a breed that can do the job properly??

Edited by m-sass

As far as I am concerned, there are only two breeds worthy of genuine intimidation towards potential offenders/intruders which is primarily the GSD and Rottweiler. Crooks know the trainability levels in guarding/protection that can be attained with these breeds which they fear and they never know what they could be trained to achieve, even a seemingly quite and reserved GSD or Rotty, the crooks can never be sure at what point these breeds may spring into action. Same goes for coming face to face with an intruder, threatening to release a GSD or Rotty to defend has a greater impact on the offender IMHO that the dog may be attack trained than threatening to release a breed that isn't used in those roles.

Crooks know what breeds professionals use in guarding/security which provides an added bluff factor, but unless a Mastiff or breeds of that nature are showing strong aggression and gnashing teeth, the crooks know that the dog is no real threat where a GSD or Rotty retains the mystique, will it attack on command, will it attack if they jump the fence or approach the house etc.........I just think if guarding is a role required of a dog, use a breed well known and easily identified as a breed that can do the job properly??

I don't think the OP is actually looking for a guard dog that would actually bite someone :) Simply a large dog that would be a deterrent due to size/appearance/maybe bark. Most dark coloured large dogs would work for this. The OP also said they don't want a Rotty and if they don't want to do a lot of exercise and don't want too much hair, then a GSD is also out.

Edited by Kavik

As far as I am concerned, there are only two breeds worthy of genuine intimidation towards potential offenders/intruders which is primarily the GSD and Rottweiler. Crooks know the trainability levels in guarding/protection that can be attained with these breeds which they fear and they never know what they could be trained to achieve, even a seemingly quite and reserved GSD or Rotty, the crooks can never be sure at what point these breeds may spring into action. Same goes for coming face to face with an intruder, threatening to release a GSD or Rotty to defend has a greater impact on the offender IMHO that the dog may be attack trained than threatening to release a breed that isn't used in those roles.

I don't think the OP is actually looking for a guard dog that would actually bite someone :) Simply a large dog that would be a deterrent due to size/appearance/maybe bark. Most dark coloured large dogs would work for this. The OP also said they don't want a Rotty and if they don't want to do a lot of exercise and don't want too much hair, then a GSD is also out.

Yes, I do understand that, but my point in a deterrent factor is that potentially harmful crooks are not naive in sizing up breeds they can diffuse and breeds they won't take the chance with?. A cousin of ours is a police officer and was stationed for a few years in an area of a high crime rate was telling us about the effectivness that both GSD's and Rotties particularly provide above all other breeds unless the other breeds display active aggression and viciousness?. He was saying even an unassuming seemingly passive GSD/Rotty left too many boxes unticked for the crook to be confident that the dog will remain passive and homes with especially GSD's and Rotties were the least affected by criminal activity, he said also that some crooks they caught had mud maps with GSD/Rotty homes crossed off their hit list and were the breeds most feared by the criminal sector and were the breeds most known to cause nasty injuries to offenders who did try to enter their territory uninvited?

The point my cousin was making in regard to his experience of dog breeds in a family environment was that you didn't need aggression from GSD's and Rotties to provide the same deterrent value as a vicious dog of another breed in regard to how crooks size dogs up..........he has two GSD's himself as family pets and guardians :)

Sure, I agree that the traditional guard breeds work due to their reputation and obvious trainability in that work :) but both Rotty and GSD are unsuitable for the OP. Dobe too active as well, if the Boxer is too active.

In the OP's case I would probably go for a Bullmastiff or similar - imposing looking dogs, I certainly wouldn't take the chance of messing with one :laugh: .

The point my cousin was making in regard to his experience of dog breeds in a family environment was that you didn't need aggression from GSD's and Rotties to provide the same deterrent value as a vicious dog of another breed in regard to how crooks size dogs up..........he has two GSD's himself as family pets and guardians :)

What I'm saying here is not a suggestion for the OP, but a support for what your cousin the police officer said.

We've had 2 cases of thieves entering our property/home. In both cases, they fled after what our dogs did.

First thief tried to break into the car one night. We didn't hear it....but the dogs did. They barked the way dogs do, when they mean business. We turned on every outside light....saw nothing. Next morning, we found the damage on the car, but the thief had left before getting in.....after hearing the dogs.

Second case, I was home alone one night. Back door was open as I took clothes up and downstairs. I was in a back bedroom when the 2 dogs went up the hallway towards the back verandah-deck, growling as dogs do when they mean business. I followed them & saw a bag of items dropped inside the back door. It was full of things taken from our downstairs storeroom. A thief had been coming into the house.

The dogs kept going, still growling, out into the darkness. I followed them, & saw a young man, walking down the driveway next door. This bloke had fled when he'd heard the dogs coming. I got a good look at him under a streetlight to later describe him to police.

Seems the bloke broke into a few homes in the area that night. Ours was the only one where he was discovered. Police told us, in one case, the bloke had stepped over a sleeping dog....who didn't wake up (won't say the breed!) They were high in their praise for our 2 dogs....who were little Tibetan Spaniels.

Also Brisbane people might remember one of the blokes who was attacking females on walking tracks. Only time he got 'beaten off' was when a girl's pet Dachshund grabbed his leg & wouldn't let go, until he took off. That little dog got a hero award & the hugest bone.

Well said Mita (and Dachshunds really are scary).

My three dogs work as a team. The kelpie is always on alert. She knows what is happening around our whole suburban block and will let us know if anything is different and especially if it's wrong. She selects when to be very loud.

Stevie is big and black and nobody will open the front door if they see her teeth glowing behind it. She is very intelligent and listens to Jodie and if the situation warrants she adds her big booming bark. She is a Lab cross but will put herself between me and any person she doesn't trust. She also barks on command.

The little white fluffy will bite anyone anytime and particularly any threat to me (or his food). He has quite a piercing bark. If all three go loud ag the same time, the neighbours will look out for me.

This may not suit the OP obviously, but I feel safe with my good dogs around.

pyrenean mountain dogs...very independent thinking, loving, but instinctive and imposing guardian dogs. however most people don't find my boy intimidating on walks because he's so friendly and teddy bear fluffy...but I've heard that once they go into protection mode it is a scary scary thing to see. they use their size and their very loud bark to scare away or block threats and only use physical force as a last resort. they are intelligent enough to know what is a real threat and respond appropriately, so they are not aggressive by nature, in fact they are generally so confident and laid back that its hard to believe they will ever go into action as a protector :o)

some pyrs are prone to barking..alot..and very loudly to scare away any potential threats. they can be boisterous as pups and take alot of patience and firmness, but are generally calm as adults. they are truly beautiful dogs and are generally great with kids, and other animals in the family, although my boy still loves to chase my cat around the house for fun. but they were bred to protect livestock from wolves, bears etc. and to make their own decisions. they are serious about their job, which is protecting their flock, and this also means they need to be well socialized.

ooops I just read that you don't want long hair...the pyr definitely has that and so will all of your clothes and your carpets...but they're worth it :o)

post-45694-0-22510400-1340792673_thumb.jpg

post-45694-0-56066400-1340792685_thumb.jpg

Edited by sacha

The little white fluffy will bite anyone anytime and particularly any threat to me (or his food). He has quite a piercing bark. If all three go loud ag the same time, the neighbours will look out for me.

This may not suit the OP obviously, but I feel safe with my good dogs around.

It's a good feeling, isn't it, katdogs, to know your dogs have their paws firmly on what is not right around their family and property. It's amazed me how dogs KNOW this, when we humans have seen & heard nothing.

Your little white fluffy would be pleased to hear of a thief in the next suburb who got nabbed in the act of breaking into a house where the owners were at work.

He'd found a door with outside hinges that he worked on as silently as possible. When the door came off, out came 4 screaming little Maltese....who chased him, still screaming at top note, up the suburban street. Brought neighbours running, bloke was nabbed, police delighted....& local paper published the story. Don't mess with SWFs' back doors, was the lesson.

A good read that shows the variety of dogs who've protected their families.

Diesel, a Cattle Dog X, with amazing timing, saved a 3 yr old child from a striking brown snake & certain death. Same article mentions jesse, the little Dachshund who saved 14 yr old owner from the vicious attacker of females. Both dogs, big & small, received Animal Achievement Awards.

http://www.mysunshinecoast.com.au/articles/article-display/rspca-rewards-hero-diesel,12295

Edited by mita

Hmm a family Anatolian, female

might work.

Female suggested based on potential size, not pot. Temperament.

Activity level would be less than boxer and GSD.

and guaranteed to fulfill role as watch dog,

(an Anatolian guard dog would not be suitable for family situation).

I know, my family had a Rottie when I was a teenager so I know they're fine. While on the subject, has anyone got any opinions on Roodles? (Rottie x standard poodle) The wife doesn't seem to have a problem with them for some reason!

I know, my family had a Rottie when I was a teenager so I know they're fine. While on the subject, has anyone got any opinions on Roodles? (Rottie x standard poodle) The wife doesn't seem to have a problem with them for some reason!

Yes. Don't.

It's a F1 cross of two breeds with widely unpredictable results and the cross is largely produced by puppy farmers.

If you want poodle attributes in a large dog then get a Standard Poodle.

Black Labrador (adult). Looks the part but probably an easier temperament for a family to manage. They do shed a fair bit though.

:thumbsup: Yep about to suggest the same - my black girls are far more intimidating - my yellows are all bark & fart. Black dogs worry people I think it is the colour predjudice agains blacks. I never thought my Tua was protective till one night someone tried to climb the front gate and my big black girl I have inside when the O/H is on night duty shot out the back door and roared at the intruder before I had my feet hit the floor. I now feel very safe with my Labs when Pete is away - day or night. The same bitch is an accredited Delta Dog & School education dog. Totally temperament tested and stable.! Blacks shed less hair than yellows.

Edited by Tapua

If your wife's biggest issue with Rottweilers is owing to temperament, then purchasing a cross breed dog with the parents likely being incorrect examples of the breed both in type and temperament does not guarantee a better temperament. In fact it does not guarantee anything except that you will have absolutely no idea what to expect from this off spring.

My guess would be that perhaps your wife has not had the privilege of meeting a Rottweiler with correct temperament.

Rottweilers and SPs are two totally different breeds, bred to do totally different jobs. Both great dogs, I own one breed and have owned the other breed. I have never found the Standard Poodle temperament to be as confident as I would like (not meaning this in an offensive way to Poodle enthusiasts). There is no way I would ever mix the two, recipe for disaster IMO. Too many poorly bred Rottweilers already lack confidence. People should not be intentionally playing God with breeds that already suffer from poor publicity and bad breeders. Genetics will fall where they will and it is not likely that amateur breeders and puppy buyers have the knowledge to do temperament testing on baby puppies. There is no way of knowing or controlling that the pup will not inherit the entire temperament of the Rottweiler parental component. And how would you know if the temperament is a good one or even a correct Rottweiler temperament?

Good breeders do everything they can to never sell their well bred puppies to the types of people that breed these puppies. The parents of the pups are likely to also be backyard bred or puppy farmed, as are the parents of those dogs also. No pedigree, no knowledge of previous temperaments in ancestors, no guarantees, no support.

The only way of purchasing a well bred Rottweiler with a correct temperament is to purchase one from a reputable breeder that is aiming to do just that.

Regarding the negative experience you wife had of a Rottweiler in the past, it is likely that the dog either had a poor temperament and/or poor owners, as a good Rottweiler is calm and has a stable demeanour, self assured, not timid and in normal day to day situations would not be exhibiting any behaviours that anyone would find disturbing. They most certainly should not be killing other dogs. I am very sad and disappointed that she had this experience.

I would not recommend anyone purchase a breed that they have a predisposed dislike for or fear of, for whatever reason. I would not try to talk anyone into purchasing a Rottweiler. They are a dog for people that are passionate about the breed and have a good understanding for the breed.

Purchasing a cross bred dog containing a Rottweiler is not a wise alternative.

I wish you all the best in your search for most suitable breed that you can all agree upon.

Edited by dyzney

Yes. Don't.

It's a F1 cross of two breeds with widely unpredictable results and the cross is largely produced by puppy farmers.

If you want poodle attributes in a large dog then get a Standard Poodle.

LIKE + 1

Another vote for the Bullmastiff, here.

My Maggie certainly looks the part (we're led to believe she's Bullmastiff X Boxer); and will certainly alert bark but other than that she's a big snuggly ball of smooshy love. :D