Dog Washing & Conditioner

I would recommend conditoner on long coats for pet dogs and if the coat tends to tangle, run a wide toothed comb through the coat with the contioner on, before you rinse it out. The same as you do with human hair. It makes a huge difference to removing tangles easily especially in double coats on desexed dogs that are 10 times harder to groom than those on entire dogs. You just need to match the shampoo and conditioner to the correct coat type. A double coat is very different to the fine single coat of a Lowchen or even an Afghan.

With show dogs it is very different. I never use conditioner on a BC or JS before a show because it softens the coat too much but do use it for in between show baths if they are having a break from showing. Shi Tzus get bathed without conditioner before a show and immediately bathed again and conditoned after the show to preserve the coat. So it all depends on breed and coat type.

Edited to add that long coats that tangle should never be rubbed with a towel, rather squeezed through and always dried with a dryer unless the weather is very hot. Using a proper dog dryer will greatly reduce grooming time because they blow out all the loose hair.

Edited by dancinbcs

Thanks everyone. I have 2 rescues - 1 is a maltese x lhasa apso and the other is a maltese x poodle (we think). One has much thicker coat than the other. I've never not used conditioner and brush them fairly regularly so haven't really had much problems with matting but perhaps the conditioner is the reason why.

Ness, if you don't want the conditioner I would be happy to buy it off you. :D

hrm, well I do currently use a leave in for him, but even with clients dogs I find the conditoned coat takes longer and that is after a proper rinsing - but its a life saver when it comes to getting coat out so it's a trade off

I was taught not to condition anything I'd clip or scissor because of the finish, but maybe I will practice that on the fiances dog and see if does make a difference LOL

Any conditioner used on a harsh coat will soften it (I never use it on the stripped jackets of my schnauzers, even bathing will soften to coat a little)

Vehs - i was taught the opposite and always condition coats i will clip or scissor, i just water down the conditioner (but then i rarely use conditioner neat!), using a light conditioner protects the hair while not weighing it down.

I wouldn't bother with pet shop dog conditioners. Over priced and under effective. Either use human ones, or if you have big dogs, horse ones.

Mine are always conditioned. Less so if they need to dry first as they will take about twice the drying time if heavily conditioned (as does my own hair). Like Dancinbcs I brush and comb the conditioner through while wet - great way to detangle (or even get out seeds or debris without pulling) without breaking hair. No good on tight mats though as wetting will tighten them. Small ones can be gently teased or combed out with conditioner applied to them dry.

I would recommend conditoner on long coats for pet dogs and if the coat tends to tangle, run a wide toothed comb through the coat with the contioner on, before you rinse it out. The same as you do with human hair. It makes a huge difference to removing tangles easily especially in double coats on desexed dogs that are 10 times harder to groom than those on entire dogs. You just need to match the shampoo and conditioner to the correct coat type. A double coat is very different to the fine single coat of a Lowchen or even an Afghan.

With show dogs it is very different. I never use conditioner on a BC or JS before a show because it softens the coat too much but do use it for in between show baths if they are having a break from showing. Shi Tzus get bathed without conditioner before a show and immediately bathed again and conditoned after the show to preserve the coat. So it all depends on breed and coat type.

Edited to add that long coats that tangle should never be rubbed with a towel, rather squeezed through and always dried with a dryer unless the weather is very hot. Using a proper dog dryer will greatly reduce grooming time because they blow out all the loose hair.

I did hear that double coated desexed dogs are much harder to groom than entire dogs but wasn't sure if it were true dancinbc's. That interesting, is there some reason for that? My boy is desexed & he has a magnificent coat

but he needs lots of grooming to keep it that way, not that I mind because I am one of those crazy people that love grooming :crazy: & always have since childhood. And what you say about using a dryer is so true. Since I

started using one I reckon it has cut my grooming time down considerably. Sonny wasn't to keen on it at first, was always trying to bite the nozzle but now he is fine with it.

I groom, a big male desexed border collie, he had a beautiful coat, easy to groom, very few knots, and only needed a bit of thinning out on the longer hair of the hind legs just to make it easier on his elderly owners, sadly when I was hospitalised they couldn't find a groomer for him, took him to the vets and had him clipped off :mad sadly he now has a coat like carpet underfelt. very little left of what you would call top coat. So now the only real option is to keep clipping it as it will never grow properly again.

I know some borders who are clipped in the summer and left to grow a half decent coat over winter, this depends I think on just how dense the undercoat can become on some dogs.

What a shame to have his beautiful coat clipped off. It's funny cause when I take Sonny to the vets the vet nurse said that I should have Sonny clipped in the summer time as well cause it is too hot for him. No way thats happening. I have been told that their coat is like an insulator for them against the elements.

Hi there, TBH I've not ever noticed, sorry. I have Maremmas so anything else is 'easy' for me :laugh: I think you just get good and bad coats. I find show line double coated breeds a lot more work overall.

Hi there, TBH I've not ever noticed, sorry. I have Maremmas so anything else is 'easy' for me :laugh: I think you just get good and bad coats. I find show line double coated breeds a lot more work overall.

Oh both of mine are show lines, maybe that is why. The boy is a lot more work than my little girl though. Not that I mind cause I love grooming, just thought there might be a reason why. I love Maremmas but

can totally understand they would be a huge amount of work, they are big dogs with big coats :laugh: