Extremely Important Issue

Beauie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about some litters of wolfhounds being sired by unregistered dogs or even cross breeds a few years ago and people falsifying the papers. Dogs were killed. At least one person went to jail. ( I think this is how it went, memory bit shaky ).

Now the VCA wants the dogs to keep the pedigrees but where it has been proven the sire/s are these ring ins they want people to still be able to breed and sell puppies from these lines as purebreds but with a blank space in place of the sires name.

It's about some litters of wolfhounds being sired by unregistered dogs or even cross breeds a few years ago and people falsifying the papers. Dogs were killed. At least one person went to jail. ( I think this is how it went, memory bit shaky ).

Now the VCA wants the dogs to keep the pedigrees but where it has been proven the sire/s are these ring ins they want people to still be able to breed and sell puppies from these lines as purebreds but with a blank space in place of the sires name.

Couldn't DNA parentage testing have sorted this mess out?

Oh, I get it, they want the dogs to remain in the breeding program..to what end? It's not like it is done for a specific purpose like when the US infused the Dalmation lines with gundogs. :confused:

Edited by LizT

No Liz, its VICdogs way of covering up a scandal & not addressing it.

yes and bowing to the pressure put onto them by the owners of these dogs. I understand a lot of money might have been paid for the original misbred dogs and their progeny by unsuspecting owners but I would be mortified if one of my greys turned out to be a cross something or other and whilst I might not have been able to afford to replace them straight away I would never breed from them. I would just suck it up for the sake of the breed.

It could have been stopped in it's tracks when it first was found out about if the VCA had had the balls to do so.

As for blanks in the pedigree, big deal?

I guess I am used to Anatolian ex Kangal pedigrees and the system dogs are reg from Turkey.

Its hardly the sky falling in. and if the sky is falling in, isn't that a matter for wolfhound people?

(So you know, blanks are not unusual in Anatolian or Central Asian pedigrees, and I guess a few other breeds too. Blanks mean that the said dog was either not registered or not recognised by re-registering body; sometimes in some places this is what has occured. It doesn't mean mixed breed.)

No Liz, its VICdogs way of covering up a scandal & not addressing it.

yes and bowing to the pressure put onto them by the owners of these dogs. I understand a lot of money might have been paid for the original misbred dogs and their progeny by unsuspecting owners but I would be mortified if one of my greys turned out to be a cross something or other and whilst I might not have been able to afford to replace them straight away I would never breed from them. I would just suck it up for the sake of the breed.

It could have been stopped in it's tracks when it first was found out about if the VCA had had the balls to do so.

And this was a few years ago? Crazy. What a can of worms. Really, what did they stand to loose in the early stage....just a few refunded registrations if that?? Doesn't make sense. If they were so against it as to prosecute why not clean up the whole mess, not just punish the perps?

:( Lilli, I guess if we are going to look at it that way, why bother with pedigrees, registration at all.

What it does is corrupts pedigrees and the breed.

Yes, most wolfhound folk know who/what now, but down the track those pedigrees will be behind newer breeders.

Of course we know that around the world not every dog written on a pedigree is 100% guaranteed to the sire/dam !!

But one would hope to trust ethical breeders.

DNA testing is the way to go.

fifi

Edited by fifi

As for blanks in the pedigree, big deal?

I guess I am used to Anatolian ex Kangal pedigrees and the system dogs are reg from Turkey.

Its hardly the sky falling in. and if the sky is falling in, isn't that a matter for wolfhound people?

(So you know, blanks are not unusual in Anatolian or Central Asian pedigrees, and I guess a few other breeds too. Blanks mean that the said dog was either not registered or not recognised by re-registering body; sometimes in some places this is what has occured. It doesn't mean mixed breed.)

I see where it is not a big deal in breeds that are still being established in Western countries...but I do believe it is a big deal to those that have had Stud Books running for many years. It is certainly a big deal to Fifi who is involved in the breed, and I believe it was stated that cross-breeds were used. If a Stud Book were to be opened to unregistered dogs they should at least pass Classification Judging by a panel of breed experts, and not the whim of the individual breeder. Just my opinion.

agreed Liz, and its not just the people in one breed, wether they be passionate or disinterested in this particular chain of events.

It opens the doors to every ANKC breed registered in VIC.

If a precedent is set, what's to stop other breeds falling to the same issue ?

fifi

ETA: just to note, I'm expressing my personal opinion, I havn't been one of those working / campaigning, there have been many others doing the hard yards - but I feel it has importance in terms of the corruption of pedigrees / breeding.

Edited by fifi

Fifi

I hv been told that Wolfhounds dont DNA test clearly anyway?? If so testing is not going to help?

Meea

Not heard that before Meea, I only mean purebred parantage recording for pedigrees and import / export, not testing for x-breeding.

I'd love more info on this if you have it.

fifi

As long as the incorrect details are taken out then the pedigree isn't corrupted as it tells the story required for people to be able to make decisions when breeding.

The UKKC has opened stud books for all breeds which in effect is about what has happened here. Within 4 or 5 generations it wont show up and it will be back to business as usual.

Im not saying I agree but based on the position they have been placed in - especially as the UK has opened the stud books and there is pressure on for them to open stud books for all breeds I can see why they have decided to go this way.

Basically they allowed the stud book to be opened for that time period. Preferable to do this than allowing the info to remain if it was known to be incorrect.