Starting From Scratch.

mixeduppup

One of my family members here used to own an old style GSD but they bought a high prey drive one and it was chaos. Not a highly gifted dog person owning a high prey drive dog and 2 cats... Any way I mention a GSD and everyone is like "NO IT'LL EAT THE CAT" everyone is besotted with the cat in this house, his welfare is paramount in choosing a dog breed. :doh:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love Boxers and Pointers and they're very attractive dogs. *puts them on list* Someone here asked if anyone could give us some information on Akitas (I think they watched Hachiko recently 8eyeroll*)? I've heard that their prey drive is very high and if a dog starts a fight with it, it can be hard to control? Don't know about them at all. I've met 3 and they were nice.

Edited by mixeduppup

I really don't like border collies. Beautiful dogs but not my style.

What breed do you do sheep dog trialling with?

The only breed I can think of that might fit the physical description is a Bernese but the bigger and heavier the dog the less active they usually are. A large active breed that might fit is Ridgeback.

Get a rotti. They are just misunderstood. I use to have 2 of them. Most intelligent dogs I ever had. Like many others before me have said, bring your family down to a breeder that promotes good temperament and have the breeder talk to your family and show them how a rotti behaves at home. I'm sure they'll come to their senses sooner or later. Good Luck!

The only breed I can think of that might fit the physical description is a Bernese but the bigger and heavier the dog the less active they usually are. A large active breed that might fit is Ridgeback.

I do yard dog trials, I have a kelpie for that. I did training for 3 sheep trials with my old kelpie boy but gave up as he was too hard on the sheep. I fostered a border collie but he was TOO active for me and I couldn't keep up lol. We had a short haired BC when i was young and she was nice but seriously energetic as well. I want something that can turn off and lounge around when i'm busy studying and isn't going 24/7

Get a rotti. They are just misunderstood.

Are they ever! This is the second time in a week or so where someone has wanted a rott, but family members have refused because they think the breed is aggressive :( I know that is a fairly broad perception in the public, but it's so far from the truth that it just breaks my heart. A correctly bred and raised rottweiler is a wonderful family member, with a stable temperament.

Edited by Allerzeit

I'm definitely not taking no for an answer, just like a I stood my ground with the maremma and he proved to be wonderful! I'm going to do my research and find someone who breeds for temp and looks as well haha. Just out of interest I've allowed for about $1200-$1500 for a pup, is this reasonable or should I allow for a bit more?

Guest Willow

Get a rotti. They are just misunderstood.

Are they ever! This is the second time in a week or so where someone has wanted a rott, but family members have refused because they think the breed is aggressive :( I know that is a fairly broad perception in the public, but it's so far from the truth that it just breaks my heart. A correctly bred and raised rottweiler is a wonderful family member, with a stable temperament.

A lady i know maintains Rottis are the only breed she wants to raise her children with.

I do yard dog trials, I have a kelpie for that. I did training for 3 sheep trials with my old kelpie boy but gave up as he was too hard on the sheep. I fostered a border collie but he was TOO active for me and I couldn't keep up lol. We had a short haired BC when i was young and she was nice but seriously energetic as well. I want something that can turn off and lounge around when i'm busy studying and isn't going 24/7

Borders vary enormously in temperament and activity level, even in the same litter. An ANKC Border with the right temperament would be a perfect match for your lifestyle but if you have your heart set on a Rotti try to find one from someone that does herding with them. There are a few around and they would probably fit in very well with your situation.

As also mentioned, a Briard or Bouvier could suit if you don't mind that much coat. Or if you really like coat or are prepared to clip it off, an Old English Sheepdog would be perfect. You can do obedience or herding with any of these breeds and the OES in particular has a big square head.

I'm definitely not taking no for an answer, just like a I stood my ground with the maremma and he proved to be wonderful! I'm going to do my research and find someone who breeds for temp and looks as well haha. Just out of interest I've allowed for about $1200-$1500 for a pup, is this reasonable or should I allow for a bit more?

You'd may need to allow more - although you might be ok at $1500. We sell our pups in that range, and I know of a handful of other breeders who sell at around $1500 (all breeders who I would be very happy to recommend), but more and more often I also hear of pups being sold at around $2000 - $3000, so I think that's probably a more common price range.

One of my family members here used to own an old style GSD but they bought a high prey drive one and it was chaos. Not a highly gifted dog person owning a high prey drive dog and 2 cats... Any way I mention a GSD and everyone is like "NO IT'LL EAT THE CAT" everyone is besotted with the cat in this house, his welfare is paramount in choosing a dog breed. :doh:

and so it should be.

Guest donatella

Yes, but if it was up to them we'd be having an Akita because "on Hachiko Akitas didn't attack cats."

There is a poster here who has an Akita and cats that live fine together.

Guest donatella

Oh really? I was told they are very prey driven and not trustworthy around cats?

Talk to Kyojin(minxy) here, as far as I'm aware her Akita is fine with the 2 cats. Hopefully she pops in.

I would have thought a lot of breeds, if brought up as a puppy with the cat would cohabit fine :)

Yeah i assume so too, but some always have that really strong drive and if the cat runs. The GSD one of my family members used to own was like that, brought up from 8 weeks with 2 cats but always wanted to hurt them..although she had a crap trainer.