Starting From Scratch.

mixeduppup

A Central Asian? Big dogs but considerably bigger than a Rotti. Would be good with the cat and other animals it is raised with, definitely protective of family .. but may be too protective for your family's expectations ... I guess some CAS could do tracking ...

Edited by lilli

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can also vouch for the beautiful temperaments of a Rotti. I had one for 12 years and he huge, scary looking, but the most sweetest thing you will ever meet. He wouldn’t hurt a fly and loved nothing more than lots of cuddles & pats. He was a big sook never ever showed any signs of aggression.

Agreed with other people here saying that Rotti’s are misunderstood.

Here is my vicious rotti and my ten month old :) I also have four cats here is one of my rottis with one of my cats. wouldn't have any other breed they are big lap dogs and they love the bed and couch :D

Here is my vicious rotti and my ten month old :) I also have four cats here is one of my rottis with one of my cats. wouldn't have any other breed they are big lap dogs and they love the bed and couch :D

post-33396-0-38865800-1341200206_thumb.jpg

post-33396-0-53884600-1341200615_thumb.jpg

Although I agree with others that say you should stick to your guns if you can convince your family members, I think that an Old English Sheepdog would also fit. They can be clowns, but they aren't rediculously active, they can be kept clipped, they are fantastic with other dogs and animals (if brought up with them correctly of course), and they are a chunky breed even under all that hair. They are also born for the attention they receive, and relish in people telling them how beautiful they are.

I have Weimaraners and English Setters, but i looked after my sisters OES for a while. He was the best watch dog of them all, only barked when something was really amiss, and scared the crap out of people who only heard him behind the door - a big bark! of course they melted when they saw him because he is so darn cute.

I have one Rotty here that will eat the cat in a heartbeat, one Rotty that will not care about the cat, and another Rotty that will run from the cat if it stands it's ground.

It is not the breed you have to worry about, but the individual temperaments of the dog and cat.

Change your family's mind.

Rottie's are wonderful dogs and you sound (to me) that you'll take the time to find an ethical responsible breeder (who breeds for good temperament) and also put in the hard yards with training and ongoing life fulfillment.

Other breeds to consider.. Bernese, Wolfhound, Rhodesian Ridgeback, American Staffordshire Terrier.

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

Labrador? Not protective, but big, active, square head, good for sports (would be about the same as a Rotty for agility IMO), you could get a black one, would almost look like a Rotty :laugh:

Haha (I could just paint on the tan bits), I do love labs but I want something that I will really enjoy having around and although I love Labs they don't do anything for me, if you know what I mean. I do enjoy a bit of a challenge with dogs as well, dogs that are super eager to please and train I don't find challenging. I really enjoyed training the Maremma because it wasn't easy at all. I'm researching a few breeders now and chatting to some breeders and getting general ideas. We had a Ridgeback cross as kids and the family loves the idea of one, but this is going to be my dog and once I finish studying I'll most likely move on, so it will be with them a relatively short time. the only other large dog I may consider seriously is an Amstaff (I know not large large but bulky square headed they are)

Edited by mixeduppup

Oh really? I was told they are very prey driven and not trustworthy around cats?

Many breeds are prey driven, Rotties especially. I used to have Rotties and had no problems with my cats. One of my other dogs (Stafford) is very prey driven but no problem with my poultry or cats. It just comes down to the right dog and training.

Oh really? I was told they are very prey driven and not trustworthy around cats?

Many breeds are prey driven, Rotties especially. I used to have Rotties and had no problems with my cats. One of my other dogs (Stafford) is very prey driven but no problem with my poultry or cats. It just comes down to the right dog and training.

You are so right Clyde!

One of the boys, Bruce, from our last litter was sold to a home with a cat. Bruce has grown up with Kenji the cat, and has been trained from day 1 that Kenji is not a play toy or something to chase. Of course, poor Bruce gets a bit of a raw deal sometimes....guess who the boss is?? :laugh:

bruce-kenji1.jpg

Although, sometimes Bruce gets lucky and Kenji lets him share :p :laugh:

bruce-kenji2.jpg

I love Boxers and Pointers and they're very attractive dogs. *puts them on list* Someone here asked if anyone could give us some information on Akitas (I think they watched Hachiko recently 8eyeroll*)? I've heard that their prey drive is very high and if a dog starts a fight with it, it can be hard to control? Don't know about them at all. I've met 3 and they were nice.

Make sure its not just german short haired pointers on your list but also Pointers (commonly known as english pointers), people often get the two mixed up and whilst they are similar there are a few differences! if they fit the bill look wise I think one would definately suit what you are after. Not exactly a self plug as I dont have any litters coming up but if you want to see some good looking pointers check out my web page below in my signature ;-)

ETA I LOVE rotties, fingers crossed you can get one! I will have one one day :-)

Edited by Nevafollo

If you want a Rotty, and you know you can provide a good home for one, get a Rotti!

It's your life, you only get one, enjoy it with the dog you want. Who cares what other people say, it's your dog, not theirs.

And because you'll provide a good caring home, it'll be a good dog, and all those people saying negative things now will grow to love him.

Well even with all this, it looks as though I won't be getting a rotti as it wouldn't be fair (not going to go into it but definitely not happening wasn't so much negative rotti as a culmination of things). I've made a few calls and we will be visiting an Akita breeder in the coming months. Thanks guys :)

Well even with all this, it looks as though I won't be getting a rotti as it wouldn't be fair (not going to go into it but definitely not happening wasn't so much negative rotti as a culmination of things). I've made a few calls and we will be visiting an Akita breeder in the coming months. Thanks guys :)

Interesting...