Clippers

Lugeanjaam

I am considering getting myself a good pair of clippers to groom my rescue girl with (Shih Tzu x). Suki has typical 'oodle' fur, it is very thin and matts easily. She also has allergies which flare up if her coat is not clipped short on a regular basis. I am currently spending aoprox $60 at the groomers every 4 weeks or so in an effort to keep her allergies under control, they seem to be quite bad at the moment. I figured it is worth spending the money on a decent pair of clippers and maintaining her coat at home. She will still go to the groomers every now and then cause they make her look far more pretty than I ever could :). Any advice from groomers or those in the know about which clippers are worth looking at or grooming 101 would be great.

Guest Panzer Attack!

There's no "setting", you buy attachable blades and put them on the clipper. If you buy, for example, a Wahl KM2, it will come with a #10 blade, most commonly used around the groin and between the pads as it is very short.

If you want her short and get her clipped every 4 weeks I'd be looking at getting a 5F blade as a 7F might be a bit *too* short and if you're inexperienced you don't want to give her clipper rash - every 5-10 minutes press the blade onto the palm of your hand and make sure it's not running too hot.

Have a chat to your groomer about the equipment they use and what they personally are using on your girl. They might even offer to give you a lesson (for a price, of course). It's very easy to cut a dog if you don't know what you're doing, so please seek some advice before giving it a go on your own. :) I used to offer lessons for the price of a clip, but not all groomers do so it might pay to look around.

Wahl get my vote. I would call a #7 or #7F "short" but these do clip very close to the skin so might need an experienced hand.

I use the 2 speed Wahl. A 10 blade will keep the hair around the eyes & face clean. This is what you get when you purchase the clippers. A 4,5 or 7 blade can be used on the body & legs. The higher the number on the blade, the closer the clip....eg 40 blade is a surgical clip....no hair! Its what I use on my poodles points....face, feet & tail!, but I show him so his skin is used to being clipped that short.

I use the KM SS Wahl with a 10 blade and stainless steel guide combs, with these I clip 4 poodle x cocker coats (all different coat types) and they do a fantastic job.

THESE are the clippers I use and THESE are the SS guide combs. They have come down a bit in price, I paid $365 for mine as a set about 4 years ago.

I taught myself to clip my guys, just watched a few videos and went very steady, I've never had a mishap or cut any of mine thank goodness. I do their feet, up between their eyes with the blade only and the rest of them I use the second shortest comb.

Once you do it a few times it will be like second nature, good luck!

I forgot to add as far as groomers making your dog looking better than you ever could, I don't agree once you have been doing it for a while you will do a great job. To begin with I used to look at my guys after a clip and go Mmmm ewww but now, I think I do a good job and it's amazing how many people tell me that! A comment on Facebook the other day was how did I always get my dogs to look freshly groomed. :laugh:

I started grooming my guys myself after a bad experience with a groomer which took a long time for my oldest to overcome, but now with 4 it sure is a saving.

Disclaimer: just incase Anyone thnks I was having a go at groomers I wasn't, I know there is some fabulous groomers here on DOL and I enjoy reading their posts, my hat goes off to them, it's something I couldn't do professionally especially with some of the story's that arise here!

Edited by tlc

I would recommend Andis clippers, Wahl are harder to handle, they don't last as long and don't leave as nicer finish.

Start off by using blocking blades (plastic combs) over a 30 or 40 blade, a Laube no.2 would be ideal. Once your confident you can go to a metal 4 or 5 blade.

Clippers are personal & comes down to how they feel in your hands weight & shape wise.

Remember though clippers will be the basics,you will also need scissors,nail clippers,pluck ears & depending on how the face is either clip or scissor .

You need to set an area that will be non slip & easy for you to clip at .

If your dog is naughty to clip then be prepared to also battle with manners & handling,dogs that are naughty aren't so easy to clip infact many of our people who started out planning to do it or do it latter gave up because it wasn't as easy as they thought .

For a novice i would never recommend the clip on combs until they have a feel for basic clipping .

I would keep it simple & low cost at present,you could spend a fortune on buying many things that you may never use & the cost can suddenly add up especially if you buy from some places.

To get the clip on combs means to buy a blade that will be useless in any other area.

If your getting it done every 4 weeks now then the oat is ether growing very fast or the groomer isn't taking much off.

The most important things is keeping the coat mat free ,if your a novice clipping a matted coat can be extremely painful & time consuming as you need to make sure what you are clipping is matts not skin especially in many oodles with fragile skins.

As others have said a #7 could be fine or a tad short,# 5 is a good option .

Your #10 blade will be handy for arm pits (clipped with great care) tummy etc etc.

The #10 blade may be to short for its bum ,we generally use a #8.5 for bums

Andis fan here too.

Remember the longer the comb attachment or blade, the better groomed the dog has to be first.

If there are any knots or matts a comb or longer blade will not go through them.

You have to go UNDER the matts or comb them all out first.

The reason why so many dogs end up with a short haircut when they go to a groomer. Particularly the 'once a year' types.

Longer hairdos are only possible on well kept coats.

Thanks everyone!

Suki's coat does grow very fast and as soon as she starts getting some length to her she flares up allergy wise. I groom her everyday as if I dont she will quickly develop matts. I find it much easier to maintain it daily then deal with knots on the poor girl. People who say that 'oodle' type dogs have easy care, low shedding coats need to deal with my girl. Her hair is so fine and whispy and I find it difficult to keep her looking well groomed. A day after her grooming she looks scruffy again, it drives me nuts! Good thing she is the love of my life.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

Using clip on combs is far easier and safer than using a metal blade. A Laube 2 comb is only a fraction longer than an Oster metal 4 and will go through most small knots with a much nicer finish. A 10 blade can be used under the comb then can also be used under the belly and armpits.

Why would anyone recommend a novice to use blades as dangerous as a 5 or 7.

After years of using Oster & occasionally used Andis I bought the KM Wahl 2 speed. Love them

They fit my small hand nicely, are a good shape & don't heat up quickly.

As your dog has been going to the groomers regularly it will behave so go ahead with confidence. I think the snap on combs are sometimes difficult. Make sure your dog has no knots in the coat, a good brush then comb before you start.

Remember to always hold the blade flat on the skin & run the clipper up & down your own arm to get the feel & the amount of pressure you apply comfortable. Too much will be unpleasant for the dog & too little is useless & won't clip properly.

Most important is to check the blade has not got hot. This can happen without you realising when you are concentrating & can burn the dog. Put the blade on your own hand or arm now & then to check.

It doesn't matter what clippers you use really as long as you can use them ok & your dog feels comfortable. The finish depends on the groomer not the brand of clippers.

Your dog doesn't care about its haircut & it soon grows back if you stuff up so get clipping. :)

Edited by Christina

My KM Wahl 2 speed heat up really quickly on both speeds l have to constantly stop to let them cool, l never had this problem with my old ones.

This is why I prefer Andis to Wahl or Oster. IMO they run cooler and because they are a sealed unit, they don't need servicing.

I've been using blades from 30# down to 4F# since the day I started grooming and I have NEVER cut a dog. Don't see why any other careful novice would either. :shrug:

I have been reading this thread with interest as I have been contemplating clipping my dogs myself for a while now. Currently they go to the groomers every 6 - 8 weeks.

But I'm more confused after reading this thread than when I started :o So let me get this straight... you have the clipper unit (that has the motor etc), then blades of differing lengths which is what clips the coat. Then where do the metal/plastic combs fit in?

Probably where I'm getting confused is that my Mum has a set of clippers (she was a hairdresser) and simply snaps on these plastic comb things which changes the length the hair is cut at. Is this not the same for dog clippers? Don't the comb things stop you from cutting the dog?

Also I can't seem to get my head around the blad lengths as everyone seems to discuss different kinds (from 30# to 4F). And when you're discussing coat length, how long is short? I get my dogs clipped fairly short (well I think anyway) and from looking at a ruler I approximate their coat to be about 20mm long after clipping.

Apologies for the many questions. I feel silly that I can't get my head around it!!