Poo Eating Puppy

twodoggies2001

My puppy is coming along very nicely at home BUT he is on occasions eating his poo. He is raw fed, getting a variety of meats and other proteins so I don't think he is lacking in his diet. I have just spoken to his breeder and she says she has never come across this before, and in actual fact, neither have I. She asked if I pickup when he is out there with me and indicated that may be the cause because he is trying to please me by cleaning up. I think it's only his, and not our other boy's deposits. I don't leave it around, I like to go out and pick it up when I see it there. Besides not having pup with me when I do clean up, is there anything else to be done?

Copropagla or "poo eating" is a common problem with some dogs and is also most frustrating. I have two poo eaters and it seems they only do it indoors and not in the garden. If they poos indoors they will quickly try to clean it up! :mad

There are a number of remedies on the net and I personally found adding pineapple pieces to their food made the stools unpalatable and stopped the eating...for a while (weeks). After some time they decided it was not so bad after all. So I gave that up and now it's keeping an eagle eye on them.

I have also heard that mashed pumkin added to the food has the same effect. I might try that but I am fortunate that when they go outdoors they leave it on the lawn. I personally feel if they have an accident indoors (which doesn't happen unless OH calls them in too soon! :mad ) they seem to want to clean up the den.

:) it is quite common ...dogs are scavengers, and if it smells good ..well, it can be recycled.

The pineapple and pumpkin might help..but be careful of his tummy ,as he is only a baby .... I have used pineapple successfully in adult labradors in a lot of cases ...

other than that ..lots of bones to chew .. and don't pay attention to 'deposits' ..or when you notice him eating.

Guest english.ivy

I read the title as the poo was eating your puppy :laugh:

My Belgian eats the odd poo here and there. You can tell when she has as her breath is ewww.

My girl is 18 months old & had always done this :vomit: She will also roll in if givin half a chance, especially after she has been bathed :laugh: She doesn't like to smell pretty.

I have tried pumpkin & pineapple but neither worked. Thought she might grow out of it but no such luck. I just am very vigilant about the backyard & pick it up ASAP, that is the only thing that works here unfortunately.

Should see the look on my other BC's face when he has seen her do it, it's like EWWWWW yuk !!! Then he looks at me in total disgust :laugh:

My Cavalier does this too unfortunately and pineapple didn't work at all :( I haven't tried pumpkin yet but I doubt it will work since he eats absolutely ANYTHING.

Now he knows I go pick up his poo straight away, so he's decided to poo and spin at the same time to beat me to it! It takes a hell of a lot of distraction with toys and treats to get him to leave it! It's so frustrating and gross!

Edited by mel20890

My Belgian eats the odd poo here and there. You can tell when she has as her breath is ewww.

Me too EI. had a bit of a giggle :laugh:

The joys of the English language. Puppy eating Poo. or a Poo eating puppy. Both correct, both open to mis understandings. :laugh:

Me three. Mental image of a giant poo consuming a puppy whole :rofl:

Me three. Mental image of a giant poo consuming a puppy whole :rofl:

Oh,my poor puppy :eek:

Well folks,I tried feeding my little poo eating pup lol pineapple. She who normally eats that is put in front of her, ate everything in her bowl EXCEPT the pineapple.

[/quote

Sly dog LOL ;)

Edited by BC Crazy

My puppy is coming along very nicely at home BUT he is on occasions eating his poo. He is raw fed, getting a variety of meats and other proteins so I don't think he is lacking in his diet. I have just spoken to his breeder and she says she has never come across this before, and in actual fact, neither have I. She asked if I pickup when he is out there with me and indicated that may be the cause because he is trying to please me by cleaning up. I think it's only his, and not our other boy's deposits. I don't leave it around, I like to go out and pick it up when I see it there. Besides not having pup with me when I do clean up, is there anything else to be done?

Quite a lot of my dogs do it, can't really do much about it other than pick it up quick, tried all the so called fixes, these dogs just like it.

• 1 month later...

I have been told that if you spray the poo with eucalyptus oil mixed with water it makes them sick, but stops them eating it... I haven`t tried this personally as my pup is only 5 weeks at the moment but am trying to educate myself in anything and everything at the moment! Need to be ready for anything!!!

I have been told that if you spray the poo with eucalyptus oil mixed with water it makes them sick, but stops them eating it... I haven`t tried this personally as my pup is only 5 weeks at the moment but am trying to educate myself in anything and everything at the moment! Need to be ready for anything!!!

Thanks, I'll run that past my vet and get her opinion, but I'm not sure that I would want to make him vomit as that's not a pleasant experience at the best of times. I would also want to check that the eucalyptus wouldn't harm him too. By the way, I have tried pineapple and meat tenderiser with no help. My vet also suggested these two remedies. Gosh, I hope I'm not stuck with a pup with deplorable table manners.

I don't think I would want to use the Eucalyptus idea. Sounds a bit harsh but is most probably effective. My girl is 19 months old & still has bad table manners but not as often

as she did when she was a youngster. I think she will always do it randomly unfortunately :o Yet my boy has never done it. They are all so different. I just am relentless in picking

it up ASAP, straight away. She very seldom gets the chance to be "little miss poo eater"