What Breed? - Shelter Dog

Today we went to Coldstream Animal Aid to donate some coats and blankets because they lost so much stuff in a recent flood.

Anyway, we went and gave all the furries some love while we were there.. only one problem we fell head over heels in love with this gorgeous girl. They told us she wasn't up for adoption, and wouldn't say why either. So I don't know anything about her, other than that she was so calm and well behaved. She's been loved, she would sit, drop and shake for a treat. She was so very gentle and gave us her best sad puppy dog eyes. She just wants to be loved. My hubby was totally smitten, I can't stop thinking about her. She looked the size and shape of a goldie but with the colouring of a rottie.. what does everyone else think of breeds?

I'm seriously thinking of calling the shelter back tomorrow and leaving my number if anything changes and she comes up for adoption.

post-22362-0-23070000-1341741331_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michelleva

Today we went to Coldstream Animal Aid to donate some coats and blankets because they lost so much stuff in a recent flood.

Anyway, we went and gave all the furries some love while we were there.. only one problem we fell head over heels in love with this gorgeous girl. They told us she wasn't up for adoption, and wouldn't say why either. So I don't know anything about her, other than that she was so calm and well behaved. She's been loved, she would sit, drop and shake for a treat. She was so very gentle and gave us her best sad puppy dog eyes. She just wants to be loved. My hubby was totally smitten, I can't stop thinking about her. She looked the size and shape of a goldie but with the colouring of a rottie.. what does everyone else think of breeds?

I'm seriously thinking of calling the shelter back tomorrow and leaving my number if anything changes and she comes up for adoption.

Use her impound number and speak with the staff as to why she is not available for adoption. Depending on the reason, she may be able to go to a reputable rescue.

Sadly owners do lie when surrendering their dogs, or do not give full disclosure.

Ie; "she is escaping the yard" though often if asked further re the type of fencing, they will respond with "no we dont have fences". Not all shelters find out further information from surrendering owners, they just fill out the surrender forms and that is it. In some states it is illegal to rehome an escape artist (VIC).

The other thing you can do is have a qualified behaviourist assess her, you will need to work this through with the shelter first though and make them aware.

I have witnessed SO many dogs surrendered by owners who are completely dishonest, these dogs have moved into fantastic, loving homes with no sign of the reason for surrender showing. Many of these people have been DOLers.

Use her impound number and speak with the staff as to why she is not available for adoption. Depending on the reason, she may be able to go to a reputable rescue.

Sadly owners do lie when surrendering their dogs, or do not give full disclosure.

Ie; "she is escaping the yard" though often if asked further re the type of fencing, they will respond with "no we dont have fences". Not all shelters find out further information from surrendering owners, they just fill out the surrender forms and that is it. In some states it is illegal to rehome an escape artist (VIC).

The other thing you can do is have a qualified behaviourist assess her, you will need to work this through with the shelter first though and make them aware.

I have witnessed SO many dogs surrendered by owners who are completely dishonest, these dogs have moved into fantastic, loving homes with no sign of the reason for surrender showing. Many of these people have been DOLers.

Nic, there was no number on her cage, nothing to even say if she was a girl or boy, thats why I asked the staff. The person I spoke to said they get dogs for all different reasons and she isn't available for adoption, and that was it. No further discussion. She actually looks quite sad there, she really gave us that pleading look, like please take me home. My hubby was devestated when I told him she wasn't available. She's definitely been trained because she could sit, drop and shake all for a treat. She then took the treat very gently. She wasn't jumpy at all.. just the perfect dog in my eyes. Although maybe when she gets out of that cage her true personality will shine through. I will ring the shelter when they open, I know what cage # she is in, maybe speaking to a different person might get me more answers.

This shelter is also the pound, so I thought maybe there was a legal matter involving this dog, which is not resolved.

I'm still thinking about her this morning. Hubby already has a name picked out... oh boy!

I don't see the harm if you are so keen of going back - asking to speak to the Shelter Manager and making further enquiries. If there is a court case pending indicate you are willing to wait etc......show your interest and keep in touch and see how it all plays out......

I don't see the harm if you are so keen of going back - asking to speak to the Shelter Manager and making further enquiries. If there is a court case pending indicate you are willing to wait etc......show your interest and keep in touch and see how it all plays out......

Thats what I plan to do, and see what happens.

Here are her sad eyes. :cry:

post-22362-0-21380400-1341787113_thumb.jpg

Nic, there was no number on her cage, nothing to even say if she was a girl or boy, thats why I asked the staff. The person I spoke to said they get dogs for all different reasons and she isn't available for adoption, and that was it. No further discussion. She actually looks quite sad there, she really gave us that pleading look, like please take me home. My hubby was devestated when I told him she wasn't available. She's definitely been trained because she could sit, drop and shake all for a treat. She then took the treat very gently. She wasn't jumpy at all.. just the perfect dog in my eyes. Although maybe when she gets out of that cage her true personality will shine through. I will ring the shelter when they open, I know what cage # she is in, maybe speaking to a different person might get me more answers.

This shelter is also the pound, so I thought maybe there was a legal matter involving this dog, which is not resolved.

I'm still thinking about her this morning. Hubby already has a name picked out... oh boy!

Speak with either the rescue co ordinator or the shelter manager and give them her kennel No.

Be polite, calm and mention that you recently visited to donate coats and blankets for the dogs and noticed this dog.

Ask them the reason she is not available for adoption, find out if she was surrendered/picked up as lost or seized and how much time she has before pts. You may need to act quickly.

Try to find out her details in tems of age, sex etc and if she is chipped what she is chipped as.

Once you have an idea, you know what you are working with.

Let us know how you get along.

ETA I have just spoken with a collegue in VIC, this Shelter do a fantastic job and are very proactive in rehoming.

Sadly, there is probably a very good reason for her being listed as "not for sale" :(

Edited by Nic.B

Speak with either the rescue co ordinator or the shelter manager and give them her kennel No.

Be polite, calm and mention that you recently visited to donate coats and blankets for the dogs and noticed this dog.

Ask them the reason she is not available for adoption, find out if she was surrendered/picked up as lost or seized and how much time she has before pts. You may need to act quickly.

Try to find out her details in tems of age, sex etc and if she is chipped what she is chipped as.

Once you have an idea, you know what you are working with.

Let us know how you get along.

ETA I have just spoken with a collegue in VIC, this Shelter do a fantastic job and are very proactive in rehoming.

Sadly, there is probably a very good reason for her being listed as "not for sale" :(

Thanks again, the shelter had a really great vibe about it. It was obvious that they really care about the animals they have there. I'm about to give them a call, will let you know if I get anywhere.

I have just spoken to the shelter. The shelter manager wasn't in today, but I did speak to someone else about the dog. She knew the dog I was talking about and it is a young male. She said the dogs need to pass temperment and health testing before being put up for adoption. And they won't put anyone's name on a dog until they have passed those things. She suggested that I call back each day to check on his progress. Other than that, she gave me no background info on him.

I really wonder now why he's not available. Maybe there is something really wrong with his temperment, we certainly saw no signs of anything like that. But he was in a run, we weren't allowed to take him out.. so who knows. We have young kids and cats here and I won't put any of them at risk for any dog.. but I will keep communicating with them and see what happens. It could just be that he only arrived on Saturday and they haven't had time to assess him, or it could be something more serious. Time will tell, I guess.

Maybe he is microchipped and the owner has been contacted and they are going to come and collect him.

Why do people assume the worst all the time.

Maybe the dog attacked a neighbours kid or something so its not going to be rehomed.

What you see sitting in a kennel isn't always the dog you bring home.

Surely if the dog had a microchip and was awaiting collection he wouldn't be in a run alongside dogs up for adoption? You'd think he'd be kept away from the public. I'm not assuming the worst either, just keeping an open mind. I will stay in contact with them and see what happens.

I have just spoken to the shelter. The shelter manager wasn't in today, but I did speak to someone else about the dog. She knew the dog I was talking about and it is a young male. She said the dogs need to pass temperment and health testing before being put up for adoption. And they won't put anyone's name on a dog until they have passed those things. She suggested that I call back each day to check on his progress. Other than that, she gave me no background info on him.

I really wonder now why he's not available. Maybe there is something really wrong with his temperment, we certainly saw no signs of anything like that. But he was in a run, we weren't allowed to take him out.. so who knows. We have young kids and cats here and I won't put any of them at risk for any dog.. but I will keep communicating with them and see what happens. It could just be that he only arrived on Saturday and they haven't had time to assess him, or it could be something more serious. Time will tell, I guess.

Could it perhaps be as simple as that he's not available until he's passed those tests? Might be wishful thinking, but it could theoretically be something that simple.. ? Ie, there might not be a difference between being 'available' and being 'up for adoption'?

I could be wrong but i think i saw him listed a week or 2 ago,but i look at a lot of sites.He may have been withdrawn because he has a tummy bug or kennel cough and needs to recover before he is available for adoption.Just keep calling back the shelter so they know you are very interested in him.

I could be wrong but i think i saw him listed a week or 2 ago,but i look at a lot of sites.He may have been withdrawn because he has a tummy bug or kennel cough and needs to recover before he is available for adoption.Just keep calling back the shelter so they know you are very interested in him.

Interesting. I've never been to this shelter before because its nearly an hour from where we live. I wonder if its the same dog, he certainly looked healthy yesterday, but we can't know whats going on inside. I'll just keep harassing them.. and stalking the site and a bit of this :crossfingers: won't hurt. Hubby wanted to call him Beau when we thought the dog was a girl, but for a boy Beau is not a bad name.. :thumbsup: Its so funny because my hubby is the one saying NO MORE PETS.. and he's adament he would have adopted him yesterday if they'd allowed it. There protocal is that our dog would have to have a face-to-face meeting before its approved anyway, and they want every family member present, which I think is great. He also has to be ok with cats to come live here.

Hi

I got my little girl from the RSPCA. The first time I saw her she was not available but I felt drawn to her so strongly. She was so ugly she was gorgeous if you know what I mean. (not saying the dog you like is ugly. He's a handsome fellow.) I went back a few days later and she had become available and I snapped her up at once. It was just the way she looked at me, something clicked in my head. She was between two dogs who were barking their heads off and her eyes were saying, 'please get me out of here' so I did and I have not regretted it. I learnt later that she was not available because she had just been desexed.

Good luck with Beau, :crossfingers: but make sure your head makes the final decision.

PD

I have just spoken to the shelter again, the lady told me there is a LOT of interest in this dog.. anyway, she said he's still not up for adoption, hopefully by the end of the week. She said the delay is due to further testing with dog sociability being required.. so it appears not to be a health issue, more temperment.. if he came here, he'd have to co-exsit with a female sheltie, three cats plus us mere humans.. wait and see what happens. At least I know a little more now. The funny thing is he was surrounded by dogs going off, and he showed absolutely no interest, he was just trying to edge closer and closer to us.

I think this dog has come up for adoption. Look at # 50834.. the markings look the same but he's got his happy face on.

http://www.animalaid.com.au/dog-adoptions.html

I was also told during the week that he was a young male, I don't really consider 6 young.. but if its the same dog, how much better does he look when he's out of the cage. hmmmm, hubby and I have had a lot of time to think about it during the week and are really undecided as to whether we "need" another dog. Surely it couldn't hurt to ask if its the same dog, and how he is with cats???