Scourban - Causing Constipation After Diarrhea

giraffez

Ok, so my boy had diarrhea so took him to the vet. Vet prescribed scourban and antibiotics and I fed him the dosage accordingly. The next day, he wouldn't poo so I reduce the dosage of the scourban by 1/4. It's been 48 hours and he still hasn't poo'ed. He is eating, playing, drinking normally.

Is it normal for him to be constipated like this after scourban? My vet says I should continue with the scourban as it takes a couple of days to completely firm up.

He has been having a bland diet also, rice, chicken, sweet potato.

Thanks

Its a fine line between firming up & blockage/compaction. Maybe vet said continue as antibiotics can cause diarrhea too while they are destroying the bacteria. I would be worried too.

The vet is the expert obviously but maybe it would be wise to seek a 2nd opinion on this one.

I use scourban while I have signs of diarrhoea. If I don't have any signs of it for 12hrs I miss that dose and watch for the next 12hrs and decide if I give another dose or not.

It can cause constipation so I use it sparingly.

You could drop the rice content and add some pumpkin.

ETA- I have never had to use the full dose for it to work either.

Edited by Jumabaar

I use scourban while I have signs of diarrhoea. If I don't have any signs of it for 12hrs I miss that dose and watch for the next 12hrs and decide if I give another dose or not.

you mean the dogs right? Right?

bahahaha :rofl:

Has he actually strained to go and not produced anything or not even tried to go?

I do find it can take a while for my dogs to produce a poo after a bout of diarrhoea, especially while they are still on small meals of rice/chicken.

If he is bright and alert I wouldn't be overly concerned yet. Maybe give the vets a quick call if you're worried.

..yep, with not much food going in, and that food very lacking in fibre/bulk.. it may indeed take his system a while to fill up and start to work again.

Just offer him heaps of liquid ..chicken broth / water flavoured by soaking a pice of steak in it for several minutes .... that will help :)

bahahaha :rofl:

haha *Pulls foot out of mouth*

You guys, lol!

Has he actually strained to go and not produced anything or not even tried to go?

I do find it can take a while for my dogs to produce a poo after a bout of diarrhoea, especially while they are still on small meals of rice/chicken.

If he is bright and alert I wouldn't be overly concerned yet. Maybe give the vets a quick call if you're worried.

He isn't even attempting to go.

The quantity of food he is eating ( no less than before the diarrhea), I would have thought there is something to give.

My vet suggested to continue with the full dose of scourban. Maybe I am being overly paranoid, but we haven't had to pick up poo off our lawn in the last two days! Im not complaining but a tad worried

I had this but with Ensal (Ensul?).

My little girl did not poop for 7 days!! She had the Ensal for 3 days max, and I stopped when we had no action. 7 days later she cleared out with a gigantic poo and then was back to her normal old self!

She never once stopped eating, there was a LOT of BBQ chicken going in, and nothing coming out. I thought she might pop, but the vet told that as long as she wasnt trying to poo (straining) then I should not worry.

Edited by Rysup

..yep, with not much food going in, and that food very lacking in fibre/bulk.. it may indeed take his system a while to fill up and start to work again.

Just offer him heaps of liquid ..chicken broth / water flavoured by soaking a pice of steak in it for several minutes .... that will help :)

Persephone this is genius! Thanks. I was sceptical that the water and steak tip will work for my dog but he drank it all. He had a tiny poo this morning, hard as stone ( this was before I gave him the water). How much water is too much?

I'm going to cut down the rice And give him water, banana, sweet potato and chicken instead.

Will the stool soften up eventually ?

And Rysup - sounds like what is happenIng to my dog. It's good to know that it can last a couple of days and it will still be okay.

Edited by giraffez

On a related note. Is Scourban only available through the vet? I'd like to have some on standby but don't want to have to pay the $55 consult fee and deal with a dog with the runs in the car when I know the cause. If the cause was unknown, I'd take them in and have no qualms about the consult fee.

I work in a country vet and farmers come in all the time and buy it buy the 2 litre bottle for using on calves, goats etc. with scours.

So to me I would ask your vet for some next time you visit