Breed Recommendations For My Sister

nickyp

My sister is looking for a puppy and is thinking of buying an 'oodle. I'd like to give her some purebred alternatives to think about, but am having difficulty coming up with ideas.

Her requirements are a small-medium dog that doesn't shed and wants to be with its people.

Her last two dogs were a labradoodle and spoodle, the first came from a breeder and the second was an impulse pet shop purchase. Both of them were physically sound and had good temperaments, so my sister doesn't really get the argument that DDs are often poorly bred. She rehomed the spoodle when she had to move into a rental that would only allow one dog after her divorce and her labradoodle died about 12 months ago from an aggressive cancer at about 13 years of age.

She's now bought another home of her own and is facing a long period at home recuperating from an illness, so feels it's the perfect time to get a puppy because she'll have plenty of time to spend with it and focussing on the pup will help her stay positive.

Given that she has a fair way to go in her recovery, I think a breed with medium-low energy levels would be best - a dog that isn't going to go nuts if it misses its daily walk every now and then. Grooming is also not an issue. My sister's previous dogs visited the groomers on a monthly basis and my sister is a neat freak so an untidy coat is not allowed!

I've thought of miniature poodles (toy would be too small, I think) and bichons, but I'm really struggling to come up with any other ideas. Can anyone suggest any others? I know they're out there, I just can't think of them!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She may like to look at a Potuguese water dog or Miniature Schnauzer

.There is a Lab x Poodle on Pet rescue at Pets Haven in Woodend ,Vic.

She told me she didn't want another lab-sized dog, so I think that girl would be out.

Lagotto and Bedlington would be non-shedders but not sure of suitability otherwise.

would she consider a rescue or does it have to be a puppy?

A young rescue might be ok. She has said that she specifically doesn't want an older dog. I think she might have her heart set on a pup.

What about a whippet? or a pug...? Not sure if they'll pass the shedding aspect though???

Non-shedding is probably the least flexible of her criteria. As I said, she's a neat freak, dog hair on the furniture is not acceptable.

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming. Also, please feel free to recommend breeders. I'd like to be able to give her a list of breeds and breeders (preferably in Victoria).

Guest RosieFT

Well from what I know about Bichons - my parents' have owned 3 of them - they have relatively low excersize requirements and do like to have their people around. Grooming is required as is frequent trips to groomers.

Make sure you get the toilet training done well as they can be a bit tricky.

Lovely dogs and look beautiful when groomed correctly :)

Lowchen, they might be a bit small though?

+1 they are smallish dogs but they don't shed, great personalilites, intelligent and tbh don't require that much grooming you can give them a brush twice a week and a clip or trim every now and again depending on how long you like their coat.

I have 2 of these guys and after owning so many other breeds can't believe how I've managed to live without them.. Deff big dogs in small packages!

Finnish Lapphund. Medium sized, doesn't really shed (i find maybe 1 hair on my shirt after a cuddle session), needs a brush about once a week, not too high energy (Kody doesn't mind missing walks on rainy days). They are gorgeous, affectionate lovely snuggly dogs. Once you've had a lappie cuddle you'll never go back!

Finnish Lapphund. Medium sized, doesn't really shed (i find maybe 1 hair on my shirt after a cuddle session), needs a brush about once a week, not too high energy (Kody doesn't mind missing walks on rainy days). They are gorgeous, affectionate lovely snuggly dogs. Once you've had a lappie cuddle you'll never go back!

Geeze lucky you they're a double coated breed who normally shed by the bucket load and once again they're a working dog.. Just my 2 cents they are lovely dogs though

Geeze lucky you they're a double coated breed who normally shed by the bucket load and once again they're a working dog.. Just my 2 cents they are lovely dogs though

They are a spitz- so there will be a coat dump at least once a year where there IS fur galore (usually about three weeks, although because mine is entire its twice a year). Although I don't find it too hard to pick up because its long and soft enough to make quite big tumble weeds that don't stick to other things. The rest of the year your hard pressed to get fur off them.

Temperament- Def would fit the bill so long as you let the breeder know/ask around for breeders with quiet dogs. My girl has spent the last month with my 80yr old grandparents and her exercise is moving from the kitchen to the lounge room. But is quite happy to do a 2hr walk with me when I have her (which is getting more and more rare as my grandparents love her so much!). They are a breed that was designed to chill out during the long cold finnish winters in the house with the family so are not supposed to get antsi. Your hard pressed to get Demi truly excited about anything other than sheep- so no sheep=no excitement :rofl:

Edited by Jumabaar

Lowchen, they might be a bit small though?

+1 they are smallish dogs but they don't shed, great personalilites, intelligent and tbh don't require that much grooming you can give them a brush twice a week and a clip or trim every now and again depending on how long you like their coat.

I have 2 of these guys and after owning so many other breeds can't believe how I've managed to live without them.. Deff big dogs in small packages!

I've owned and lived with 4 lowchens over the past few years. If your sister is hooked on the oodle aspect these guys are the best they look similar to a Maltese x full of life and dote on their owners. They can be clipped to how the owner wants and a brush every couple days and clipped once or twice a month to maintain they are ideal, also they are low shedders (all breeds shed to a degree)

They are a small breed with a big personality.

I'm a neat freak with loose hairs too which is why I chose my breeds that don't shed much.

Guest donatella

i have a double coater and she doesn't shed much at all i get it all in the brush every few days.

i would suggest a double coated breed for people who want low shedding :)

Edited by donatella

What's she going to do if she buys a Labradoodle and it sheds?? A lot do.

If she HAS to go that route at least she should get one from the breeders who are doing multi-gen dogs AND who health test.

Otherwise she's simply lining the pockets of a puppy farmer. :(

Westie - low shedding, adore people, don't stress if they don't get walked, love lounging around, good small-medium size, need some grooming and have a bit of spunk and personality - so a brilliant pure breed dog - so why would you buy a genetically risky oodle?