Breed Recommendations For My Sister

nickyp

Finnish Lapphund. Medium sized, doesn't really shed (i find maybe 1 hair on my shirt after a cuddle session), needs a brush about once a week, not too high energy (Kody doesn't mind missing walks on rainy days). They are gorgeous, affectionate lovely snuggly dogs. Once you've had a lappie cuddle you'll never go back!

Geeze lucky you they're a double coated breed who normally shed by the bucket load and once again they're a working dog.. Just my 2 cents they are lovely dogs though

i have a double coater and she doesn't shed much at all i get it all in the brush every few days.

i would suggest a double coated breed for people who want low shedding :)

I would suggest a Finnish Lapphund as a dog that doesn't really shed too :) My bitch dumps coat twice a year (over and done with in a couple of weeks) then i hardly find hair from her.

As for being a working dog, it doesn't make her high energy, she gets daily walks most the time but couldn't care a less if she doesn't, she is very laid back and so easy to live with.

Edited by Finnesse

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bichons are brilliant dogs - quite small but meet all her other criteria to a tee. Very loving happy dogs. Yes they can be harder to housetrain, but given she will be home a lot she can probably handle that quite well.

Also Havanese.

Mini poodle (great dogs!) and easier to house train. One of my favourite breeds. Great medium size and groom them into whatever look you like. They adore their people.

Perhaps a Tibetan Terrier? But harder to find one.

Lagottos are fairly high energy I gather.

Edited by Zug Zug

Finnish Lapphund. Medium sized, doesn't really shed (i find maybe 1 hair on my shirt after a cuddle session), needs a brush about once a week, not too high energy (Kody doesn't mind missing walks on rainy days). They are gorgeous, affectionate lovely snuggly dogs. Once you've had a lappie cuddle you'll never go back!

Geeze lucky you they're a double coated breed who normally shed by the bucket load and once again they're a working dog.. Just my 2 cents they are lovely dogs though

I'm guessing you don't have one if you think they shed by the bucketload. They do a coat blow once a year (twice for females) but the hair sticks together in clumps and isn't difficult to pick up. The great thing about the double coat is it catches the undercoat that falls out and then you can just brush the old hair right out once a week. Plus it means they smell less and don't need to be bathed very often. The rest of the time, they drop practically no hair. And they might be a working dog but that doesn't really mean much for us, Kody will happily go for days without a walk if the weather is bad.

Bichons fit the bill - they are perfect indoor dogs. :thumbsup: Our boy Jag is our second Bichon and a rescue dog at that; we've never had any toilet training issues with him despite getting him at almost a year old. Our previous girl was 100% fine as well. They're not yappy or overly demanding, hyperactive or prone to "small dog" syndrome. Jag is content with a short or a long walk. The only drawback to Bichons is that coat! I spent all day today bathing and clipping him rather than spend $ on a salon. :o

Weeeeeeell I'll,have to say Cavalier wouldn't I? Lol. Shedding? My Cav is inside most of the time and I can honestly say its not a big deal at all. if you groom regularly..which in itself is a very therapeutic activity for both dog and owner ..and if you choose to keep these dear little spaniels in a shorter tidier clip ..can't see a problem there. Personality wise they are multifaceted...happy to sit quietly with you or enjoy a walk ..long or short sedate or excited. They are out going and friendly and socialize easily. Toilet training is uncomplicated and when established life's a breeze in that department. They are such a soft and loving little dog I think they really are the perfect companion for someone who doesn't have a lot of energy to expend.. And...they are very very handsome in their four colours. NO doubt many good breeders in Vic.

From what the OP said in her requirements a Lappies coat type wouldn't be suitable, for sure they are a member of the spitz family, have a double coat, but they do drop coat all spitz do. I see, groom out, deshed and on occasion shave them off all whilst dropping coat everywhere even the regular ones will still do.

Non-shedding would be, poodle type coats, most flowing coats and in some cases rough coats like a griffon, Affenpinscher and Lakeland.

But in the end it comes down to personal choice and what they think is right.

Bedlington the worlds greatest hot water bottles,

We have owned 2 & there great dogs,clean,easy coat within the non shedding family tree,happy for walks but happy to be a couch poato & if the spoodle/oodle look is her thing they fit in well .

As I said earlier, I think non-shedding is the least flexible of my sister's criteria. She only just tolerates the hair from her daughter's DSH cat! She'll happily take her dog to the groomer as often as necessary, but she won't put up with hair on her clothes or furniture.

I don't think my sister is particularly attached to the oodles,it's just that it's what she's had most recently and both dogs were lovely, healthy dogs. She got lucky and doesn't really realise it. One of the reasons I'd like to point her in the direction of a purebred dog from a reputable breeder is to make sure - as far as possible - that she ends up with another healthy, well-natured dog.

I haven't had time to read all the responses, but I'll go through them tomorrow and start putting together a list for. Thank you all for your input!

Guest english.ivy

Bedlington the worlds greatest hot water bottles,

We have owned 2 & there great dogs,clean,easy coat within the non shedding family tree,happy for walks but happy to be a couch poato & if the spoodle/oodle look is her thing they fit in well .

My mum wants a Bedlington :)

There is a difference between low shedding and non shedding though.

The OP said non- shedding I think.

Her sister has previously kept non-shedding oodles and wants another similar dog.

Exactly!

I don't know why people are recommending a spitz breed, if the OP doesn't want to deal with a dog that sheds (alot) each day then they certainly wouldn't want to deal with a seasonal blowing of the coat!

Her sister has previously kept non-shedding oodles and wants another similar dog.

Exactly!

I don't know why people are recommending a spitz breed, if the OP doesn't want to deal with a dog that sheds (alot) each day then they certainly wouldn't want to deal with a seasonal blowing of the coat!

I agree, if they want a non shedding or low shedding dog, a Lappie isnt suitable. My vote is for poodles, bichon and schnauzer. I personally have an almost 6 month old Finnish Lapphund and a almost 7yr Golden retriever. I wouldnt be recommending a lappie as suitable for someone after minimal dog hair around although they only shed once of twice a year i get the idea from the OP that her sister wants no dog hair around. i certainly wouldnt say they shed by the bucketload though!

I personally think lappies are awesome of course. mine has more energy than my golden but my golden is a couch potato so cant compare there!

Edited by LucyCharzie

Yes you're right. I thought she said low shedding for some reason

I'm glad your sister has a relatively open mind. In most cases though, the reality is that they want what they know and if they've previously been lucky and had happy, healthy crossbreds then that is what they'll automatically veer towards no matter how many fabulous purebreds are suggested to them and no matter how often they are told they were lucky with their previous dogs.

There is no such thing as a non-shedding dog. Hair/fur falls out of all dogs.

Yes, but with a wool coated breed it stays trapped in the coat. I dont find poodle hair on my clothes or furniture Frankly I'm also quite surprised at some of the breeds suggested in this thread.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My post was more in response to Smisch's comments about a Finnish Lapphund rather than recommending a Lappie to the OP Quote <<Geeze lucky you they're a double coated breed who normally shed by the bucket load and once again they're a working dog.. Just my 2 cents they are lovely dogs though>>

Guest lavendergirl

There is no such thing as a non-shedding dog. Hair/fur falls out of all dogs.

Yes, but with a wool coated breed it stays trapped in the coat. I dont find poodle hair on my clothes or furniture Frankly I'm also quite surprised at some of the breeds suggested in this thread.

People like to recommend their personal favs - regardless of whether they really suit the purpose :laugh:

I personally think that if the OP was happy with a xbreed in the past why not look at the many suitable very young dogs up for rescue - many under 12 months old? Plenty of low shedders available.