Stray Dogs

Now I'm not against people having large breed dogs, what **** is when they move in from town to rural. And think they can let their dogs roam.

Onto other people's property. This has now been twice weve had these dogs visit. I warned the owners I would take action.

Today I rang our local council & low and behold these dogs are known to them. So I told the council I will shoot them if they attack my stock

Ponies. I have also rang our local police. And guess what the dogs are known to them. I'm now installing a elec fence in our fence line.

In hope a little zap may deter them. If not I will do what is necessary. As it seems to many dog attacks at present both on human & animal

See cyberhorse forum.

I wish townies moving to rural would learn dogs have same rules as town dogs.

Farmers here shoot first when it comes to stray dogs.

Now I'm not against people having large breed dogs, what **** is when they move in from town to rural. And think they can let their dogs roam.

Onto other people's property. This has now been twice weve had these dogs visit. I warned the owners I would take action.

Today I rang our local council & low and behold these dogs are known to them. So I told the council I will shoot them if they attack my stock

Ponies. I have also rang our local police. And guess what the dogs are known to them. I'm now installing a elec fence in our fence line.

In hope a little zap may deter them. If not I will do what is necessary. As it seems to many dog attacks at present both on human & animal

See cyberhorse forum.

I live on a farm & I know your frustration. There is a guy some 3 kilometers from us who "breeds" bull x things. I think he & his neighbour may be into the dog fighting business...we know they are into growing & manufacturing drugs & occasionally the police raid them, take them away then let them go :( We have been visited by their dogs as they are so massive they break their chains or chew through their ropes & go wandering. However, there is a school of thought around here that you don't warn the owners about shooting their dogs, you just do it & the dog disappears. A neighbour learnt the hard way, he warned the blokes about their dogs chasing his stock. They did nothing about it, so he shot one of the dogs then the owner belted him over the head with a piece of 4 x 2 & almost killed him :( I feel sorry for the dogs, but what do you do, to protect your own dogs, livestock & children.

Not just the townies going rural it is common place in suburbia, more and more people (can't be gender or age specific) are acquiring these huge crossbreeds - bullmastiff RRB, bullarab X etc buying themselves the huge vehicle to match and planting dog in cage on back and off bush bashing every opportunity! Between these occaisonal pig and other wildlife attacks the dogs get let loose in backyards to go crazy without proper stimulation barking and setting off every other dog in neighbourhood (tough when you are a night worker), then we have the roamers and poopers, massive poops and left for the school kids to trek through when walking home, the worst case was 3 weeks ago when my local irresponsible neighbour's 2 PB wolfhounds yet again roamed the streets entering my property chasing my daughters beautiful Burmilla cat who is never let out of house except for an early moring yard stroll and sunning spot, these dogs seized an opportunity and set upon her, my next door neighbour witnessed but could do nothing with 2 small children in tow I found the cat 4 days later deceased in yard of another neighbouring property - very distressing for all, informed council oh yes lots of complaints registered, council spoke to owners yet again, and when I asked what will happen now they have killed an animal, oh too much paperwork and officer was going away so if I wanted to get a statement done and have the witnesses do same they would follow up but the lack of enthusiasm from this council officer was such I just left it and have done formal record so if these dogs are seen off lead and out of confines of yard again definate legal action will be taken. I have also since acquired a driving whip - one used for carriage driving has stiff long handle and short fly end which I am now carrying every time I venture outside my property with my dogs this will ensure I hope that any dog coming within trouble distance of mine will be deterred, and if the law wants to harrass me for injuring someone elses dog then so beit as I am not going to put up with all these irresponsible owners any longer and it seems that the laws that have been created to prevent such problems are not being policed effectively as no one is employed to routinely randomly circulate troublesome areas.

Just on another note posters be warned if anything happens to dogs or other livestock ie injuries/death etc and it can be proven that you posted a comment of intent you end up being prosecuted :( Even without use of location or names etc, as more and more legal cases are citing internet comments on open forums and FB etc as evidence in prosecution cases - very sadwhen the innocent end up being the victim :(

Twice now I've had aggressive dogs front up to me while I was in my own paddock. The first one was a big thing and I felt quite frightened by it. I rang the council and was told I would have to catch it and have it contained before they'd come out. The second one belongs to a neighbour and it and it's little mate come over here at least twice a day to harrass and stir up my dogs. I'm pretty much over these dogs too. :mad

See cyberhorse forum.

I live on a farm & I know your frustration. There is a guy some 3 kilometers from us who "breeds" bull x things. I think he & his neighbour may be into the dog fighting business...we know they are into growing & manufacturing drugs & occasionally the police raid them, take them away then let them go :( We have been visited by their dogs as they are so massive they break their chains or chew through their ropes & go wandering. However, there is a school of thought around here that you don't warn the owners about shooting their dogs, you just do it & the dog disappears. A neighbour learnt the hard way, he warned the blokes about their dogs chasing his stock. They did nothing about it, so he shot one of the dogs then the owner belted him over the head with a piece of 4 x 2 & almost killed him :( I feel sorry for the dogs, but what do you do, to protect your own dogs, livestock & children.

Gosh, I hope after attempting to murder your neighbour that bloke finally got locked up?

See cyberhorse forum.

Gosh, I hope after attempting to murder your neighbour that bloke finally got locked up?

Nope ....cause the neighbour had things to hide as well, though not dog related :mad Oh the joys of living in the bush...a shame, but you soon learn to keep to yourself. Not like it was 30 years ago when we first moved here & everybody got to know everyone & mostly we got on. I think "the bush" is becoming more & more attractive for these ferel types to come & set up camp. After all, they have thousands of acres of bush to do their thing in. Police helicopters are the norm, but strangly no-one seems to get locked up for long. Then again, it is probably safer than living in Western Sydney, going by what you see on the news. :mad

See cyberhorse forum.

Nope ....cause the neighbour had things to hide as well, though not dog related :mad Oh the joys of living in the bush...a shame, but you soon learn to keep to yourself. Not like it was 30 years ago when we first moved here & everybody got to know everyone & mostly we got on. I think "the bush" is becoming more & more attractive for these ferel types to come & set up camp. After all, they have thousands of acres of bush to do their thing in. Police helicopters are the norm, but strangly no-one seems to get locked up for long. Then again, it is probably safer than living in Western Sydney, going by what you see on the news. :mad

Not all Western Sydney is bad and dangerous to live in.. :(

There are nice parts too..

Guest Willow

I live semi-rural and people just let their dogs wander to the point I can't take my kids for a walk in the stroller round the road any more. I've also had three different dogs rush my car while I've been driving, and dogs wander onto our property and hassle our animals. We built a cheap,secure house yard to contain the dogs, i can't see why others can't do that.