Bloat

If there is no inherent propensity for bloat in a dog, then it wont mater what environment factors are met, the dog will not bloat.

just to be clear. Are you saying if there has never been a family member who bloated then your dog will never bloat?

How far back do you go in the pedigree?

I am saying, if the dog does not have the genetic propensity to bloat then the dog will not bloat.

And yet others refute the suggestion.

None of these theories has been scientifically proven.

Who wants to put their hand up that to suffer from bloat a dog must have the inherent propensity?

Not many.

These days what is scientifically proven - particularly with companion animals - depends on political outcome and financial incentive of the study.

What is bloat -

a malfunction of the digestive tract?

We know that size and deep chest is not a causative factor, no more than to have hips is a causative factor of HD.

A broader scope shows us that bloat affected dogs exist in population pockets.

It could be the inability to synthesize an enzyme or the inability to synthesize enough enzyme - brought about my environmental conditions ...

but the inability must exist in the first instance.

On familial:

CAS litter: 4 boys, 1 girl.

At 2yo all three boys suffered from bloat months apart in different states, different home environments, different diets.

24 months later: the fourth male dies from blaot.

So from four boys:

deceased from bloat: 3, gastroplexy: 1.

Other dogs in this family also dec from bloat.

The female from the litter is desexed.

I believe (hope) she will not suffer from bloat because one of the significant environmental triggers for bitches (season) has been removed.

Pockets of Anatolians in Australia, with no change of bloodline since 1984, and pockets of Anatolian with no change in bloodline since 1998 (includes reg and non reg dogs) have no known incidence of bloat. I am watching the ASDs with import blood. I dont know what that carries. Hopefully nil bloat also.

Some Anatolians are Great Dane height, so for me it is not satisfactory that bloat causation be: "an ailment of deep chested dogs."

Edited by lilli

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is no inherent propensity for bloat in a dog, then it wont mater what environment factors are met, the dog will not bloat.

I don't believe you can make that sweeping statement.

Many breeds bloat - Dane, Wolfhounds, Dachshunds, Bulldogs, Pointer, GSD, Akita, Greyhound, Cross Breeds this list is endless.

Know your dog, know the signs, and know the details or your nearest vet.

So sorry to hear of your loss Swayd.

We have had two Bulldogs with bloat.

One 5 month old puppy who also had torsion. He did not survive.

One older dog who would only just bloat(no torsion). We successfully were able to puncture his stomach with a large needle to release the gas. He was rehomed later in his life. He died a year later. I am not sure why.

I have just watched a youtube video today of a rescue dog that had bloated.(USA)

Once I find it again I will post the link but BE AWARE it is not a nice video to watch.

It is very very educational and yes the dog did survive.

I am not sure if anyone else has seen it so sorry if you get to do so twice.

It highlights the signs to look out for.

Be aware that they narrated the video after the dog was taken to the vets. The owners of the dog had no idea the dog was bloating at the time.

Will go off to see if I can post the link.

When I did tracking with the SES we had a veterinary first aid training session. The vet advised us about how to do an emergency job getting gas out of a bloated stomach by piercing through to the stomach with an ice pick or similar. I don't think I could do this, and think some people might do more harm than good trying. Wasn't sure if the vet was doing a wrong thing by teaching the procedure. Since then I have been curious to know if anyone has heard of success with a DIY emergency bloat 'surgery'. I know a person whose life was saved by a DIY tracheostomy done by her father, a farmer with no medical training, after a car accident . . . so I'm willing to believe DIY emergency surgery could be a good thing.

I can remember many years ago (when I was a very young child), my grandfather doing an emergency bloat job on his pet goat (or might have been a sheep - I was VERY young!) From my very vague memory I think he used a knife to make the incision, but I do recall that the goat/sheep survived.

Sorry to hear about your pup Sway.

Are there any breeders or rescuers of deep chested breeds that have an information sheet on bloat that you give to adoptive homes?

I lost my 11yr old Rotty last month as a result of bloat. She amazingly survived a full torsion and had a pexy, but was PTS about 6mths later due to kidney failure. The vet believes it was the lack of blood supply during the torsion that caused the damage.

Anyway, as a rescuer we often rehome bloat prone dogs do would love to have something easy to understand to give to both adopters and foster carers if possible.

Sorry Sway :(.

Dr Carmelo Battaglia & team conducted a bloat survey last year / concluding this year which involved 2551 dogs. Really interesting findings but I cannot post it here - it is via password only - I have asked for permission to post it publically - will see how we go.

It has always been thought that Dobes were highly affected by bloat - this survey showed that 4% of dobes may be affected, suprisingly low. Perhaps it is breeding away from the problem, management, diet etc etc that is bettering our breeds chance at avoiding it.

It seems that pockets of Anatolians since 1985 are upholding that statement.

Just like there are those who can be exposed to the sun all their life and never get skin cancer - because they do not have the inherent propensity to develop skin cancer.

In multiple environments there have been Anatolian living juxtapose with the CAS, and it is the CAS which have bloated not the Anatolian.

One of my ASD boys enjoys dietary no-nos because I know he can digest anything. Last night he ate left over fish n chips :eek::o (I guess anything that pees on fox carcasses and then proceeds to eat them seems digestive indestructible.)

And tonight I came home to find his half sister had opened the walk in pantry and eaten 700g of chocolate cookies. (Not happy jan!) Not to mention bench surfing had also won her a pot of steamed rice. But she will be fine.

(if it helps those looking for precursor warning signs: some of the CAS which bloated, burped a lot as part of their normal habits. This is data collected after the fact :( )

Edited by lilli

It seems that pockets of Anatolians since 1985 are upholding that statement.

Just like there are those who can be exposed to the sun all their life and never get skin cancer - because they do not have the inherent propensity to develop skin cancer.

In multiple environments there have been Anatolian living juxtapose with the CAS, and it is the CAS which have bloated not the Anatolian.

One of my ASD boys enjoys dietary no-nos because I know he can digest anything. Last night he ate left over fish n chips :eek::o (I guess anything that pees on fox carcasses and then proceeds to eat them seems digestive indestructible.)

And tonight I came home to find his half sister had opened the walk in pantry and eaten 700g of chocolate cookies. (Not happy jan!) Not to mention bench surfing had also won her a pot of steamed rice. But she will be fine.

(if it helps those looking for precursor warning signs: some of the CAS which bloated, burped a lot as part of their normal habits. This is data collected after the fact :( )

Yep, mine has eaten a whole bag of lentils, a bag of bird seed and a whole garic bread which was won bench surfing, with no issues whatsoever *rolly eyes*

Yep, mine has eaten a whole bag of lentils, a bag of bird seed and a whole garic bread which was won bench surfing, with no issues whatsoever *rolly eyes*

My goldy has eaten a whole bag of lentils as well, half a bag of flour, a quarter bag of dog food, and half a packet of icing sugar. Then did a few zoomies!!! Of course when we got home and realised she had figured out how to open the kitchen cupboard, we fixed it and got her to calm down. She just went to sleep. No issues, except a minor stomach upset.

That said, I still take all the precautions to prevent bloat.

Edited to add she did not eat all of that in one day!!

Edited by Odin-Genie