Keeping Multiple Dogs In Victoria

Luke W

Frankston is not a very dog friendly council/area though. They have a no dog zone around the central district.

Thanks for that, I did ask that question but didn't really get much of an answer of how 'dog friendly Frankston is' :laugh:

Frankston is not a very dog friendly council/area though. They have a no dog zone around the central district.

Thanks for that, I did ask that question but didn't really get much of an answer of how 'dog friendly Frankston is' :laugh:

No probs, I don't live in their council area but I know people who do :)

Definitely avoid Yarra Ranges, one of the least dog friendly councils around.

Pam

Yarra Ranges were actually really nice to me when I called about getting a third dog with one of the current dogs being ill. They waived the need to get an extra dog permit.

The ranger I met was nice too.

I think they need to allow extra dogs on rural properties though as I think only allowing 2 dogs on acreage is a bit silly.

Edited by JulesP

Starting to do a bit of planning for the future...

I'd like to know what areas of Victoria (ideally outer Melbourne suburbs, or at least with 1.5 hours drive of Melbourne) - where I can keep 4 dogs or more?

I'm interested in both buying and renting so I'd like to hear about council rules and the likelihood of finding suitable rental properties. I understand that the further out I go - the more likely it is I'll find something I'm looking for - but I'd like to stay as close to Melbourne as possible.

Fire away!!

Thanks guys!

As far as Hume City Council rules go:

We have four dogs and no permit required (as long as you are on land 1 acre or larger, which we are). If the land is smaller than that anything over 2 dogs requires a permit (and any objections or lack of objections have to be sought by you, the owner, from all your immediate neighbours).

Cheers,

Tina

You can keep 4 dogs if you have more than half an acre in Whittlesea Shire too.

Depends on what part of Whittlesea council you live in - given that more than 3 quarters of it is pretty much suburban now, you need to go out past Yan Yean at a minimum pretty much to get decent land. In suburban areas it is still 2 dogs, but you can apply for a permit for extra.

In the very outer parts of Whittlesea council, it actually depends how big your land is to what is allowed. We are on 6 acres and had 5 dogs until a little while back, now only have 4 but on 6 acres can have up to 6 without a permit. But that's going to put you a good hour out of the city.

You can keep 4 dogs if you have more than half an acre in Whittlesea Shire too.

Depends on what part of Whittlesea council you live in - given that more than 3 quarters of it is pretty much suburban now, you need to go out past Yan Yean at a minimum pretty much to get decent land. In suburban areas it is still 2 dogs, but you can apply for a permit for extra.

In the very outer parts of Whittlesea council, it actually depends how big your land is to what is allowed. We are on 6 acres and had 5 dogs until a little while back, now only have 4 but on 6 acres can have up to 6 without a permit. But that's going to put you a good hour out of the city.

That is not what the council website states.

Come down to geelong. My neighbour had about 7 yappers in a unit and no one gave a rats. Multiple Animal Permits are not that hard to get, pay your fee, dont have dogs that cause your neighbours to reach a homicidal level and you're good to go.

We live in Seaford which comes under frankston council. We had a 5 dog permit for years we have now dropped it to 3.

The permit was quite easy to get you need signatures from your surrounding neighbours, they send a ranger to inspect the property and you pay your fee.

They will keep the permit going as long as there are no complaints, dogs on the permit can be changed without much hassle as long as the breed doesn't differ too much.

Frankston CBD is a no dog zone but the rest of the areas are quite dog friendly. We have 5 off leash areas within walking distance from our house.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

in city of whittlesea the website says its 2 dogs up to 0.2 hectares of land if you have 0.2 to 2 hectares of land you can have 4 dogs. I am on a small suburbian block and have 2 dogs currently.

That is correct. But most of Whittlesea is now 'suburban' and so is only up to 2 dogs. Gone are the days when there were half acre type blocks of land around the more populous areas, which have now become housing estates and growing. More than 2 hectares however, does allow a permit for more dogs, but depends on size of your land, etc. and they will negotiate this. We currently have a permit for up to 6 dogs, although I can't see me ever owning that many, the days of 5 were a 'stretch' and only lasted for a few months. 4 is plenty. (And of course exemptions/different rules for registered breeders, but that would be in any council I would imagine?)