Looking For A Companion Dog

Kezzi

Good Morning everyone,

I am new to this forum. My main enquiry at this time is that I am looking for an ex breeder (prefer female), to have as a companion dog for my dad who lost his 61yr old wife (my mum!)a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure of which particular dog breed that would be the most suitable, but my dad loves being outdoors, he loves his vege garden, and the beach. The dog would be an inside/outside doggy. There are a few teenage grand kids too, so I guess a dog that will mix well. Dad has a chook pen too, so possibly a dog that isn't going to try and stir the chooks up, haha.

I would be greatful for any advice, tips, breeds etc...

We live in the Southwest of WA, so I would prefer a dog from the Perth areas if possible.

Cheers, Kez

Hi Kezzi,

Condolences to you and your dad, it must be a very sad time for you.

The first thing to check is whether your dad actually wants a dog. Has he said he wants one, and if so, is he ready at this particular time? It's not a good idea to get a dog as a companion for someone if they are not the instigator of the idea and ready and prepared to take on the responsibility.

Next step is to find out what he wants in a dog. Has he ever owned one before? If so, what sort? Does he like long or short hair? Bigger or smaller? How much is he thinking of spending on food, grooming and vet fees? Is he willing to groom, and if so, how much? How much exercise is he prepared to give the dog? Can he go to training or does he have previous experience with training a dog? An adult ex-breeding dog may or may not be well versed in what it takes to be a good companion, but even if it was a house dog previously your dad doing some training with it will help him bond to his new friend and get the dog used to the new rules of life. It is therefore a good idea to be prepared to do some work in this area, and at a minimum an adult dog in a new situation may need some reminders of house training or even require complete house breaking if it was an outside-only kennel dog.

Until some of those questions are answered it's a bit hard to recommend breeds. They are good to think about, though. Good on you for asking questions and not just rushing in :)

hi, Kezzi -

Condolences on the loss of your Mum .. :( It will be hard at present for You & your Dad , I know.

if your dad has asked you to find him a dog companion, well done for coming here :)there are breeders, rescuers - all sorts of experienced folk to help!

The questions lappie happy has mentioned are very relevant ..and I will also enquire as to your dad;s plans . Now he is alone, perhaps he will want to travel /move? What will he want to do then with his dog?

What breeds does he like /have experience with?

Any reason for getting an 'ex breeder' ? Is it because you feel they may be a bit older and more settled?

Hi Kezzi,

Condolences to you and your dad, it must be a very sad time for you.

The first thing to check is whether your dad actually wants a dog. Has he said he wants one, and if so, is he ready at this particular time? It's not a good idea to get a dog as a companion for someone if they are not the instigator of the idea and ready and prepared to take on the responsibility.

Next step is to find out what he wants in a dog. Has he ever owned one before? If so, what sort? Does he like long or short hair? Bigger or smaller? How much is he thinking of spending on food, grooming and vet fees? Is he willing to groom, and if so, how much? How much exercise is he prepared to give the dog? Can he go to training or does he have previous experience with training a dog? An adult ex-breeding dog may or may not be well versed in what it takes to be a good companion, but even if it was a house dog previously your dad doing some training with it will help him bond to his new friend and get the dog used to the new rules of life. It is therefore a good idea to be prepared to do some work in this area, and at a minimum an adult dog in a new situation may need some reminders of house training or even require complete house breaking if it was an outside-only kennel dog.

Until some of those questions are answered it's a bit hard to recommend breeds. They are good to think about, though. Good on you for asking questions and not just rushing in :)

Thankyou for your reply. You have given me some more things to think about. He was interested in having a dog, though was concerned what he would do if we went on a holiday (I said my partner and I would look after his potential dog).

Growing up on a farm when we were younger we had a few kelpies. Mum and dad ended up having a dog that was previously my sisters. Ben was about 12yrs old when he had to be put down (due to health). He was put down early last year. Ben was a jack russell x dachshund I think.

I'm really open to other suggestions though, of 'if he got a dog, where would be the best place to find one?'. Regarding the idea of re-homed pets/pet shelters, I wasn't sure how involved their behavioural assessments would be, and also not knowing the background of an animal certainly would make it harder I guess?

Cheers, Kez

I relation to why choosing an ex breeder...well a friend of mine suggested contacting a Breeder, to see if they may have a nice dog that needed another home? I would think dad wouldn't want to spend much time training a dog, though this may change now due to my mums death? I definately know he wouldn't want a bounding bog that kept jumping up.

Perhaps you could sit down with your dad and show him Petrescue - a lot of rescues advertise their dogs on there. Once you have narrowed down the type of dog, you could contact the rescue that has the dog and ask questions about the history of the dog etc - sometimes there is a fair bit of knowledge about the dog depending on how it came to be in the rescue in the first place]

www.petrescue.com.au

There are quite a few WA rescues that have some great dogs - if you want links to individual groups, send me a PM as I dont want to clutter up this thread (you will see most of the groups are already on Petrescue)

:) On D O L there are quite a few rescue folks . They will be able to answer your questions . perhaps look in teh rescue threads ?

ANY dog needs training ... so that does need to be thought about . Not having had a young dog for so many years, your dad may forget what it's like :)

Older dogs are 'out there' , tho .. and I would strongly suggest you find the rescue threads and start a discussion . The experience so many D O Lers have in assessing/placing dogs will be a big help :)

Hi Kezzi and welcome to DOL. Condolences to your family on the loss of your mum :(

As you are open to suggestions on all breeds have you considered a greyhound? Greyhounds make wonderful pets and may suit your dads lifestyle.

They are low shedding (minimal grooming)

Have virtually no odour (great for being inside)

Love a walk/run on the beach but are happy to lay on the lounge or lay in the sun in the yard

GAP WA (Greyhounds As Pets WA) are a reputable rescue group that would match a greyhound to your family's needs. Fostering is another way to see if a grey is for you. They also offer continued support.Two years ago I would never have thought of a greyhound as a dog for me, now I'm hooked on these divine creatures.

Good luck with whatever doggie companion your dad chooses. :)

Thankyou ALL very much for your great help. Certainly some things to think about and avenues to persue. I will keep you all informed and I WILL keep asking questions too :)

Greyhound would be fine.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - easy to live with, affectionate, wants to be with people, easy to train. Big enough to walk, take to the beach etc, small enough to carry, friendly enough to sleep on the bed. Will participate in evey activity - gardening, cooking, toilet cleaning. I consider them a great dog for retired people.

However, they must live in side.

They come in 4 colours - blenheim, tricolour, ruby and black and tan. The males are as affectionate as the females. A very easy pet.

post-438-0-23999700-1342783560_thumb.jpg

Greyhound would be fine.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - easy to live with, affectionate, wants to be with people, easy to train. Big enough to walk, take to the beach etc, small enough to carry, friendly enough to sleep on the bed. Will participate in evey activity - gardening, cooking, toilet cleaning. I consider them a great dog for retired people.

However, they must live in side.

They come in 4 colours - blenheim, tricolour, ruby and black and tan. The males are as affectionate as the females. A very easy pet.

Hi Jed,

Thankyou for the info about the Cav King Charles. One of my friends has one of these dogs, and I had thought about them. Is there any temperament differences between the Cav, Tibetan Spaniel and the Cocker Spaniel for example? If we went down this avenue, what would you recommend may be the best path to take?

Cheers, Kez

What about a cat ??

Is his vege garden on the ground or raised ??

We actually get lots of calls for exactly your scenario & we suggest people think long & hard before encouraging something that is a life change .

We also ask the family if the dog doesn't work out what is the plan ??

For some losing another thing in there life is very heartbreaking ,some family members are all for the dog but don't want to now about it when it goes pear shape .

All family members need to also discuss what role they will play .

Does he want a grooming breed or wash & wear .

Keeping in mind whilst your dad is certainly still young not all want to be brushing a dog in there 70's

We have placed dogs out in this exact scenario.the last person we didn't have one but friends did,she was a 9 yr old bitch that whilst many will say OMG how could you at 9 this gentleman is 92 yrs old,still drives & his family support him 100% & will take the dog if anything happens.

This is his 3 dog & 2 after his wife passed suddenly .

The breeder will aslo take her back.

He wanted something that was slow & steady & made him active each day & they area perfect fit .

If Tibetan Spaniel is a breed of interest i do have friends who breed /show them & may have an older dog but they do shed coat .

Does he want hair everywhere ??

Maybe your dad might like to consider a dachshund or mini, if he has had a cross before? Or a Jack Russell? They are pretty full on little dogs though, so a puppy may be a challenge. Dachshunds can also be quite stubborn and feisty, so it depends on what temperament your dad wants and if he is prepared to work with that. Cocker spaniels are lovely, but are very energetic and really need a lot of exercise. It sounds like a Cavalier may be more suitable, or, yes, a greyhound which has been tested with poultry. It may also be worthwhile contacting the state breed club of any breed you are interested in, once you have narrowed down your requirements, as they may know which members may be looking to rehome an older dog, or even run a rescue service for their breed. Or, as Holly's mummy said, a good rescue group should be able to match your dad with a dog which has been assessed and fostered in a home to learn the basics if you want to go the rescue route. No matter what, some training will be required as the dog will need to learn the rules of the new house.

Shenton Park dog rescue are awesome at matching their dogs with people. They do a lot of testing/training with the dogs and will give you a full run down of the dog you are interested in.

I'd suggest your father fills out one of their applications and ask them to make suggestions.

My parents (in their 60's) recently adopted a Staffy x, who is ideal for them - likes a walk but loves the cuddles :)

I would also talk to the people at SAFE Perth. They are really good at matching dogs/people.

And yes all the above questions will need to be hashed out with you dad.

A Greyhound or Whippet even may fit, young Whippets can be a bit more energetic but older ones are quite sedate.

Sorry to hear of your loss of your mum.

Not all cockers are hypo I know some Become big couch potatoes, but they are mostly older ones which might suite your dad but there is a fair bit of grooming involved, and they need someone who will give them endless attention.

Guest donatella

Not all cockers are hypo I know some Become big couch potatoes, but they are mostly older ones which might suite your dad but there is a fair bit of grooming involved, and they need someone who will give them endless attention.

My retired nanna had a cocker live with her on her own no problem. Chelsea (the dog) was 11 when my nan went into a retirement home and had to be rehomed (which we did successfully :thumbsup: )