Hunger Puking

Hi everyone!

I have had my two pugs on a raw diet for approx. the past 8 months. My male is 2 years old and my female is 4 years old. The positives have definitely outweighed the negatives. They are both a lot slimmer and their coats look fantastic. Their breath doesn't smell like something has died in there and their teeth are incredibly white! Unfortunately my male pug keeps on getting 'hunger puking' in the middle of the night. He'll throw up yellow bile 2-3 times in the night. We currently feed them each:

2-3 Chicken necks at 8:30am

1/2 Patty (115g) of Dr. D's Aussie Raw BARF (Equates to 2% of bodyweight) at 6:00pm

If I stock to the above routine my male will vomit at around 3am pretty much every night. I am at my wits end so started giving him about a 1/4 cup of his old dry kibble (Advance) before we went to bed which stops the hunger puking completely. If I feed him 1 or 2 chicken necks prior to bed (About 9pm) he will still hunger puke. My female doesn't have any problems at all.

I am about to start feeding K9 Natural at 2% bodyweight instead of the BARF and see how we go with that.

Otherwise, any ideas what I can do? Is it something that will sort itself out?

Thank you!

Chicken necks are my safest option as they are both scoffers. They'll swallow the necks whole and are able to eat them in 5 seconds flat! Have tried Ox tails, lamb offcuts and chicken wings in the past and they have all ended in choking or a swallow/puke cycle. They are fed separately so it's not due to competition, they just both love their food. Would turkey necks be a more meatier choice?

It's definitely no fun for him. I don't particularly enjoy getting up at 3am to wipe up puke either. Have been feeding him a little bit of kibble for about 4 months now just to keep it under control. I thought it might sort itself out but his metabolism must be off the charts.

My youngest GSD has the same issue and drops weight overnight in cool weather ... we fed him raw until I found he was also sick due to hunger.

We ended up feeding the boys twice a day and added dry food. They get their main meal in the morning (which is about 3 cups of Canidae PureSea and a 1kg of raw for the youngest) and then some raw at night before bed (usually another 1kg of meat and bones).

We also feed their raw frozen ... it slows them down slightly so they don't inhale the food.

Maybe increase their meals a bit and see how they go. What do they weigh?

Charli (Pug) has 2 necks (or 1 wing) with half a Big Dog Barf patty (or homemade barf) AM and PM but if I am adding Black Hawk to her diet she gets cut back on the raw. Not sure what she weighs now but she is not fat.

What's the fat content of the BARF patty? Do you always feed the same kind of patty or do you mix them around?

One of my dogs will throw up after fatty foods like lamb.

Sounds to me like an all raw diet doesn't suit one of your dogs. I'd be listening to what he's telling you and sticking to the diet with kibble added. No point in feeding a diet that your dog doesn't do well on. :shrug:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Will increase their intake with the K9 Natural. They are both about 7kg but my female puts on weight very easily, the male has been slim his whole life no matter what. BARF recommends .5 of a patty per 5-7kg to feed 2% bodyweight, so they could do with a little bit more. We try to mix the patties up but they usually get either chicken, roo, combo or lamb. We're in central QLD and these are generally all our local stockist carries unfortunately. The fat contents are below:

Chicken - Crude Fat minimum - 14% (40% D.M. basis)

Lamb - Crude Fat minimum - 11% (36% D.M. basis)

Roo - Crude Fat minimum - 3% (11% D.M. basis)

Combo - Crude Fat minimum - 13% (39% D.M. basis)

He'll puke no matter what patty. The only way to stop it is give him a small handful of dry kibble at 9pm. I have been told that you should feed either one or the other, not mix raw food with kibble. Any truth to this? Apparently your dog's stomach naturally has an acidity level of PH1, if you feed cooked kibble you reduce this level to PH 4 or 5 this means your dog will struggle to digest raw food and raw meaty bones. Guess feeding that small amount probably wouldn't hurt though?

He'll puke no matter what patty. The only way to stop it is give him a small handful of dry kibble at 9pm. I have been told that you should feed either one or the other, not mix raw food with kibble. Any truth to this? Apparently your dog's stomach naturally has an acidity level of PH1, if you feed cooked kibble you reduce this level to PH 4 or 5 this means your dog will struggle to digest raw food and raw meaty bones. Guess feeding that small amount probably wouldn't hurt though?

In my opinion? No. I raise my dogs on a combination of raw meaty bones and kibble and none seem to have digestive issues.

How would food alter the PH of the stomach acid?? The stomach produces acid for each meal.

Will increase their intake with the K9 Natural. They are both about 7kg but my female puts on weight very easily, the male has been slim his whole life no matter what. BARF recommends .5 of a patty per 5-7kg to feed 2% bodyweight, so they could do with a little bit more. We try to mix the patties up but they usually get either chicken, roo, combo or lamb. We're in central QLD and these are generally all our local stockist carries unfortunately. The fat contents are below:

Chicken - Crude Fat minimum - 14% (40% D.M. basis)

Lamb - Crude Fat minimum - 11% (36% D.M. basis)

Roo - Crude Fat minimum - 3% (11% D.M. basis)

Combo - Crude Fat minimum - 13% (39% D.M. basis)

Can you take pics please, a small dog at 7 kgs is not the same as a pug at 7kgs. Charli would be around 8kg, Maverick (a boy I bred 2 yrs ago) was here recently for desexing and he is just under 9kgs which is not heavy for a male pug, he is not a small dog but not a big eater.

I rehomed Lizzy last year and her new owner took her to their vet, the vet tried to tell them that her ideal weight would be around 6kgs - that would be very underweight for a pug. Her ideal weight is around 7.5kgs, she is only a small girl, 8kgs and she is a bit porky. She will be here in a couple of weeks for boot camp while her family are on holidays and my goal is to get at least 1kg off her before she goes back home - she is currently 9kgs :o .

I used to feed the wet and dry separate but will mix it together, never had any issues at all. I think you will find by increasing their meals a bit their tummies will settle down.

If I stock to the above routine my male will vomit at around 3am pretty much every night. I am at my wits end so started giving him about a 1/4 cup of his old dry kibble (Advance) before we went to bed which stops the hunger puking completely.

If I feed him 1 or 2 chicken necks prior to bed (About 9pm) he will still hunger puke. My female doesn't have any problems at all.

It's obviously not hunger as he vomits even if he has more necks at 9pm.

My guess is it's far to many bones which he can't digest and vomits them back up.

I have a dog who does the same.

It's obviously not hunger as he vomits even if he has more necks at 9pm.My guess is it's far to many bones which he can't digest and vomits them back up

He'll throw up yellow bile 2-3 times in the night.

No mention of boney bits .. ..but, yes it could be.

Edited by persephone

Dogs will also vomit bile if they need to go to the toilet.

And or too many bones as Sway had said.

And yes dogs stomach acid does change in ph depending on what food you feed them. Feed them a diet which includes alot of bones and they produce different amounts of acid(to break down the bones) to a dog which is fed kibble diet. Another reason why you shouldnt just change a dogs diet from one food to the other suddenly.

I had a greyhound that could not handle chicken necks, would regularly vomit yellow bile with the tiniest bit of bone in it. Stopped the chicken necks and he stopped vomiting.

If giving a bit of dry keeps the dog and you happy then feed it.

I have 4 adult Basenji's who ALL do the puke if they are not fed pretty much 12 hours apart. If I leave dinner a little too late, (as I did last night), I have 2, especially, who need to go out and do an 'empty tummy vomit' as I call it... Just a bile puke, and a BIG reminder to me that their dinner is late :o ... Basenjis are notorious for this, I think most Aussie lines have it in them... I always give a small handful of food if they have had a vomit, they always eat it, vomiting stops...

Perhaps your boy needs the handful of dry you are giving him before bedtime ??? Was also thinking it might be an idea to feed his dinner closer to 8.30-9pm, getting it closer to 12 hours apart, and see if this stop the vomiting ???

Good luck...